“A discrace to Blue Ridge”

Black Bear Bier Garten
Ranked #57 of 89 Restaurants in Blue Ridge
Cuisines: American
Tampa, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A discrace to Blue Ridge”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family and I visited the Bier Garten in October and to my dismay I was highly disappointed. The spetzle I was supposed to receive turned into elbow Mac and cheese. Are you kidding me? The pretzel was very good, but the "beer cheese" was hard, cold, and disgusting. My 9 year old child could have made something a little more appetizing. The sausages were flavorless, and as I was walking out I took a peek in their sorry excuse for a kitchen my oh so yummy sausage was cooked on a George Formen! Absolutely ridiculous! My server was very polite and apologetic; I think she knew the food was terrible. One could assume she came from a corporate restaurant as she tried to compensate for our experience. In the end, this place just doesn't quite measure up.

smyrna, ga
“good for a beer maybe”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stopped in here on a weekday afternoon after walking around downtown. Wife and I are big fans of German food/beer. Got a jumbo pretzel and a couple of drafts. Beer selection was pretty modest and didn't include any of my personal German favs. Some homemade mustard would have been a nice touch. Other menu items looked good with prices consistent with the touristy downtown area. Seating was tight and limited. Might be worth a shot if you're on this end of the downtown area.

Marietta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fake German food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After being disappointed that our first two restaurant choices on a Wednesday evening were closed, we came to this restaurant. After looking at the menu and being pleased with the German food selection, we were VERY disappointed when we got our food. I order the Kasespaetzle with the Hungarian bratwurst. Much to my disappointment, it was just mac n' cheese with a summer sausage. I lived in Germany, so know what spaetzle looks and tastes like. The only saving grace was that the beer was good.

1 Thank lisaeagen
Woodstock, GA
“What A Dissapointment!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After waiting a very, very long time for our meal, we were hugely disappointed... The "chili" was barely warm and looked/tasted like someone added water to make the batch stretch a bit longer. It was so terrible we sent it back. My entree, which was supposed to include house-made spaetzle, was served with plain macaroni and cheese. When I asked what is was, the server told me they ran out of spaetzle. Can you say "bait and switch"? Further, our meals were served with the requested sides missing - no sauerkraut, no cabbage, no butter for the roll. Who is managing the pass to be sure customers get what they are paying for? While I appreciate it was a busy day, if your restaurant runs out an item, you have to tell the customer so that they have the option to choose something else or leave. It was insulting to think the chef thought elbow macaroni was an acceptable substitute for a "house specialty". Shame on you! Would rate 1/2 star... Avoid!

• Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Florida
“Great little lively spot”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We love this place. The beers are cold, the bar is always bustling, the service is friendly and fast and the food is great. When wandering Blue Ridge, stop in for a beer and one of their giant pretzels and you'll be a happy camper.