“Pretty Good, But Not What It Used to Be”

Serenity Garden Cafe
Ranked #20 of 97 Restaurants in Blue Ridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I returned to Blue Ridge after several years' absence. We used to run up there from Atlanta nearly every weekend. Until a few years ago, there weren't a lot of places to eat in Blue Ridge, but over the past 3 - 4 years a bunch of new eateries have opened up, and all seem to be busy; in fact the whole town has received a very nicely-done, pedestrian-friendly makeover. The Serenity Garden used to be shoehorned into a very narrow space - with only a handful of tables inside, a couple of tables outside in a small garden, and a teeny-tiny kitchen. In our absence they have incorporated the garden space, and now have plenty of inside seating and a couple of sidewalk tables immediately in front of the restaurant.

In years past, our lunch favorite was the Rueben, so we decided to have the soup and sandwich special and save our appetites for a big dessert later. Our pleasant surprise at the Serenity's new look quickly faded when an obviously annoyed, or maybe irritated server took our order; actually her attitude was surly.

We both had the same thing: chicken with wild rice soup and a half Reuben. The soup was okay - I couldn't find any wild rice grains - and the Reuben was so-so - I couldn't find the Swiss cheese. It looked like we had halves of the same sandwich, and my wife got the bigger half - maybe she got the Swiss cheese.

Any way, I still recommend the Serenity Garden, but it's not quite as good as it used to be.

Date of visit: September 2013

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We arrived on a very slow day for lunch at the cafe, a Monday and we were the only customer for awhile. The server was hospitable but the atmosphere was lacking in warmth even though we were outside with a water view. We ordered chicken salad sandwich and a Reuben sandwich with a cup of the tasty mushroom soup.The chicken was acceptable and the Reuben was flavorful. I was asked by our server if I wanted my bread toasted and I said yes and it came to me untoasted, a little detail which is important when you are the only customer. I'd recommend management spend some time personally experiencing the dining to see how they might make it a more enjoyable experience for diners.

Date of visit: September 2013
1  Thank Mari V
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am a local and just love this place. Prices are great, food is outstanding, people are always nice. Favorites: Chicken Fried Steak (best in town) and the lasagna. We can always count on them to be open every day until 9 (changes seasonally), whereas other restaurants think it's fashionable to be open every other day with different hours. Not this place. Serenity is on my regular rotation of local, affordable places to get a great meal.

Date of visit: July 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Good food, cozy atmosphere, nicely decorated garden patio where I had my meal, inexpensive, and right downtown. Happy.

Date of visit: July 2013
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had some friends with me - one is a vegan. They were unable to give her a white egg sandwich. They would not even give her any options.......so we left.

Date of visit: August 2013