“"CHATTER" House Inn- BainFRIDGE, GA”

Howard Johnson Bainbridge South
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Bainbridge
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I admit I have a soft spot for the older "motor lodge"-type hotels with large pools situated on wide grasy lawns (remember those?) Charter House Inn is such a place - originally built as a classic roadside Holiday Inn. It looked well kept and the check-in staff was friendly and helpful. But the room was dingy, worn out, and very beat up! Worst of all, the a/c unit was unacceptably loud. I could see into other rooms along the corridor which were nicely remodeled, but they were about $10 more. The clerk graciously moved me to a newer room (facing the courtyard ) without any additional charge.

Then night came, and it seemed everyone in town was in the hotel's bar. I found out the next morning that what I had witnessed was "wing night" (what does that tell you?) . All the smoking patrons hung out by the pool patio late onto the night/early morning; needless to say they were drunk and loud...and couldn't care less. I would have loved to have back that unacceptably loud a/c to drone out the noise! The new room's a/c didn't have a constant fan-only setting, so I had to keep the temperature blasting cold in order to keep the fan going to drown out the drunks. A very cold and noisy night. My advice: ask for a renovated room far away from the hot wings!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank dpohunter
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Bainbridge South

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Bad service checking in and horrible checking out, shower doesn't have curtains, you can receive calls in the room, filthy rooms and to top it off there was a coffee maker but no coffee
Oh forgot the pice is NOT $48 it's actually $69 at least it was the special for the night.
This hotel was recommended by the locals while I was in town foe business just because it had a bar with $1 wings....hmmmmm it makes me wonder about those wings now.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2010

By far, my worst experience ever at a hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE! There is a Days Inn right next door, stay there. The first night I went to turn on the light, which was unplugged, then noticed the cigarette ashes behind the dresser in my non-smoking room. My company was renting out a conference room which I had to request to be vacuumed. After about 4 hours of waiting, finally a maid came. She vacuumed for about 1 minute then said she had a "Doctor's appointment" and had to leave. So, I ended up vacuuming the entire room myself. I asked the bar back to put in a order of wings. He told me he wasn't allowed. I asked if he could relay the order to the bartender when he/she arrived. I was then lectured by the bartender/GM why the bar back employee wasn't allowed to take my order. There was a private party with food next to our room. I borrowed a plate, fork, and knife so I could eat my lunch in the next room and then was accused of eating off the buffett and that I had to pay. I went to watch TV in the lobby and was scolded by the maintenance guy who was covering the front desk that I wasn't suppose to change the channel and I was acting like, "I own the place."

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank ryro2255
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I am a truck driver, and finding a motel/hotel with truck parking, can prove difficult, and finding ANY hotel at a late hour, can be difficult. I was on the road, heading for Bainbridge, and was on the phone with home. My roomate was on line looking for a place for me to stay, when I got to Bainbridge. The Charter House advertised all sorts of ammenities, and looked great, so I found it and stopped for the night. Although the desk clerk was very nice, and gave me a special truckers rate, the rest of the visit was terrible. The hotel has a nightclub that blasts loud music till at least 2:00AM, The room was dirty, with broken, worn-out funiture. Lamps without bulbs, Mold in the bathroom, and sticky dried up liquid of some kind in the microwave. (I would not think of using it) After the nightclub closed, a group of noisy rowdy people, hung out for an hour or two, in front of the building. My room was just upstairs from this area. Do yourself a favor, STAY ELSEWHERE>

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank tankertrucker
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Apparently, I stayed in one of the "newly renovated" rooms. The only thing in the room that looked either new or renovated was perhaps the bed spread. Beyond that, my room included several stains on the walls, a large area of strange discoloration of the carpet leading out from the bathroom, yellow stains on my blanket and sheets, small dead bugs on my towls, and the remnants of what looked like a spit-ball fight on parts of the ceiling/walls. In addition, the door frame was surrounded with a black substance and many spider webs and spiders. I truly cannot imagine a hotel worker walking into the room and thinking it was okay, or even remotely close to clean. The knock on my door at midnight by a woman "selling shorts for $5) just topped it all off.

I would have switched rooms, but my colleagues' rooms didn't look any better, so there was no point. The front desk staff was receptive of my feeback in the morning and seemed to be very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank HPMari
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Stayed here because the Convention I was attending was held in the Banquet facilities of this hotel. Facilities were nice, as was the room. However they have a nightclub at the hotel and apparently there is not much to do in Bainbridge because the whole town was at this club partying-LOUDLY. When we drove back from dinner you couldnt even find a parking place, people were standing out in the parking lot, on the grass, in front of the rooms. It was SO LOUD all night long that I couldnt get any sleep. I told the front desk and she said there was nothing she could do. Then I told her there was something I could do. LEAVE which is what I did. DO NOT STAY HERE

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank delilah824
Reviewed July 8, 2006

The Charter House Inn was by far my worst stay in any hotel. All of the amenities advertised by the hotel (restaurant, lounge, fitness center, pool) were all closed, the room was dirty and covered in mold, the staff was rude and couldn't fulfill simple requests for an iron or clean towels. If you are traveling to Bainbridge, GA DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank AndreainAtlanta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bainbridge
Quality Inn Bainbridge
#1 of 2 in Donalsonville
Hampton Inn Quincy
Hampton Inn Quincy
#1 of 2 in Quincy

Been to Howard Johnson Bainbridge South? Share your experiences!