“Pleased with the Chowder House”

The Chowder House Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 92 Restaurants in Zephyrhills
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Zephyrhills destination for fresh, flavorful, family dining! Freshest seafood and many traditional dinner favorites. Homemade desserts. All set in a warm, clean, casual atmosphere. Located on 54 West in the Zephyrhills Plaza, we can be found in the shopping plaza behind Amscot and Hardess.
upstate New York
“Pleased with the Chowder House”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My mother, 10 year old daughter, my uncle and myself ate at the Chowder Hourse on two different nights in May of 2013. My mother daughter and I were in town visiting my aunt and uncle and wanted a place that served seafood ( something that is a treat for us coming from upstate NY ). My uncle recommended the Chowder House as he and my aunt often eat here or get take out.....This restaurant seems to be quite popular with the locals. If it had not been for my uncle, we never would have heard of it or found it for that matter as it is tucked away in a far corner of a strip plaza. I am under the impression that May is considered the 'off season' meaning that the restaurant closes at 8:00 PM. Some days they are open for lunch though we did not visit during lunch hours.

The inside of the restaurant is quaintly decorated in the typical nautical theme and contains both booths and tables. It was clean and a comfortable place to enjoy dinner.

The menu is quite extensive with a variety of appetizers many fo which were on special for $4.99 both nights we were there. There are soups available as regular menu items as well as a chowder and soup of the day. As expected, there are many seafood entrees available ranging from fish prepared a variety of ways to seafood platters and pastas to a very nice slection of non seafood entrees such as chicken parm, meatloaf and steaks. There is also a children's menu available. The Chowder House serves a selection of beers and wines as well as iced teas and pepsi products.

The first night we were there it was around 6:30 PM and they were quite busy for a Thursday. We all ordered the chowder of the day ( a corn and crab ) and it was very good. Also brought to the table was a basket containing rolls, butter and crackers. I had the shrimp and spinach alfredo and it was excellent! My mother had the seafood linguine and found it to be very good. My uncle had the fried grouper and said it was tasty. My daughter had the chicken fingers and seemed to like them. We went back the very next night which was Friday....We had spent the day at the beach and it was on our way back into town on route 54 and it was an easy stop plus my mother wanted to try a few other things she had seen on the menu. This time we ordered the mussels and coconut shrimp with orange marmalad as appetizers and both were outstanding! As an entree, my mother had the baked stuffed haddock, my uncle the meatloaf, my daughter the grilled cheese and shrimp cocktail and I again had the shrimp and spinach alfredo. I tried my mother's baked stuffed haddock and the stuffing was excellent and contained small scallops and shrimp....the fish itself was a bit dry but overall the dish was very good. My mother also had the lobster bisque which was very good albeit a bit too salty. The Chowder House offered are a variety of fresh baked desserts inclduing apple pie, cheesecake, coconut creme pie, etc. and I'm sure the dessrts change periodically depending on what the person who does the baking chooses. We did try the dessrts the first night specifically the coconut creme pie, the white raspberry filled cake and the apple pie. I enjoyed the raspberry filled white cake. The apple pie and cocnut creme pie were typical of what I've had elsewhere.

The wait staff both evenings were extremely friendly and seemed genuinely concerned that we enjoy or our experience and our food.

We did enjoy our two evenings dning at the Chowder House and would definitely go back the next time we are back in Zephyrhills.

• Visited May 2013

Michigan
“Fish review”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The fish was the best that I ever tasted. Had the haddock with shaved almonds. The waitress was the best. Would recommend this place to everyone. Really a busy place and had to wait about 20 minutes.

Visited March 2013
Tavares, Florida
“Welcome Relief from a Busy Hectic Day”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My family met here after working at the house. Moving is very hard and the time it takes to clean, sort, donate, share, and keep items to pack, can make any person crazy. My step Mom suggested to stop and go to The Chowder House. Well, of course it was busy but since we placed a call-ahead request our waiting for a 5 person group was short. The menu was offering this picky group plenty of delicious choices. The New England and Boston clam chowder were superb. The coconut crusted shrimp and their special sauce stimulated our appetites. The Haddock fried and broiled was cooked to perfection. Grandpa ordered and made short work of his Pot Roast. We all were amazed by the rice pilaf and the unique flavor and consistency. The waitress was patient, kind, and never rushed anyone. She was very persistent in her attempt to have 5 very full Patrons try their homemade desserts!! The trays with samples kept migrating past us but we avoided temptations. We knew more work was ahead. A nap after full and content bellies was not an option. Desserts to go she said but not today!! After paying the bill my husband felt the choice to come here was his reward----great food and service and reasonable prices--turned a hectic day into fun.

Fernandina Beach, Florida
“This place needs Gordon Ramsey”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had been to this restaurant with my parents before. The locals like it. Honestly, it is nothing special. It advertises itself as having fresh seafood from New England. I am from New England and I can tell you the Haddock I had was not fresh. The stuffing they used was not good at all. My daughter chose the spaghetti. It was overcooked and mushy. She didn't even touch it. I mean, who can't cook a proper pasta. The grouper was floating in butter. Drink refills were offered but never delivered. The service was horrible at best. This place was far overpriced for the quality of the food. Please don't waste your money. We won't be back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank allen_jatounit
Tom S, Owner at The Chowder House Restaurant, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We're sorry that we didnt meet your expectations during your recent visit. Our employees are instructed to make every guest satisfied and Im sorry that this didnt happen for you and your family. hen dining at the Chowder House, oOur restaurant will provide guests with another selection if they are not happy with their original choice. our goal is to serve the best food with exceptional service. I would be happy to have you and your family visit again to showcase what we do right for our guests. Please contact Tom if you are interested. Again we are very sorry for your experience.
Tampa, Florida
“Very very good!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place has great food. The coconut shrimp is outstanding! This place closes at 8pm, so plan ahead.

Visited January 2013