“Filthy Kitchen, Low-Quality Meat, RUDE, Inconsistent, Terrible Service”
Review of Casey's Grill

Casey's Grill
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Has gone completely DOWNHILL in precisely these ways: Not Clean, Bad Meats, Inconsistent, Untrained Chefs, Slow Service, Bad Attitudes:

Lack of Cleanliness is the first problem at this place where you can (unfortunately) see the kitchen -- check it out for yourself. You'll walk out. Unfortunately, I didn't until I finally took a look. (Sadly, this was after eating there with my family a few times... now I shudder to think of it.)

Second problem is the Low Quality of Meats - everything is low-grade "Choice" or "Utility" grade beef, and the steaks are not a very well-marbled "Choice." Nothing is Prime, not even the "Prime" Rib, which is woefully unseasoned prior to baking, and, after sliced and serving-prepared ranges between unseasoned and barely-seasoned.

Inconsistency and Untrained Chefs go together: Casey's is clueless as to how to cook a steak properly. A rare steak is red and cold in the center, often with a thin dark-char on the outside if so ordered (most rare steak eaters do order that way: see "black and bleu" on any culinary site).

It's what I often call the rural scale -- restaurants with less urban clientele find that their patrons don't really know how to order a steak, and they compensate to all the send-backs by cooking one-half to one-full range over what's ordered. But Casey's takes this stupid practice to a new scald-rate:

At Casey's A rare order always comes book-Medium or darker. Pink and warm center. Tough and chewy. A medium-rare order arrives book medium-well, with a super-heated pink center, and the brown edges creeping a full quarter-inch into the meat. It's as tough as shoe leather, and in this case, the cliche' fits. Don't even THINK of ordering something like a Char because they'll just add that to however much they've overcooked the meat, and you'll get a blackened mess.

Vegetables are viewed as something to be drowned in boiling water. Any kind of mixed veggie or broccoli arrives as limp as if it came from a can. It was probably fresh when they started boiling the living daylights out of it, but it arrives with no crispness remaining. Do the patrons here really prefer mush for veggies? I don't.

Slow service is the cornerstone of this place, because, unless you arrive at 4:30 p.m., you're going to wait for the orders of this under-size kitchen to trickle through. Maybe you'll be served 20 minutes before others at your table, or maybe they'll hold several orders letting them get cold, and 3 of your 4 table mates will have even soggier veggies and tougher meats.

Seafood here is practically non-existent, and what they do carry is never fresh, always frozen, and comes out stinking of fish odor. It too, is often overcooked, and lacks seasoning.

Rudeness is a problem here. I recently received my New York Strip (not a cheap steak) in an extremely tough condition -- it was book-well-done, and so burned that it was 3/4 of an inch of pure carbon along the edges. This was in response to an order for "blood rare with a Pittsburgh Char". It should have been a well-marbled piece of meat, properly seasoned, then done on a super-hot flat grill for 30-75 seconds per side to char it, sometimes done with a butter -- then rest a minute or two, then served. This can also be done in an oven with slightly longer times if the temp is close to 800F. Either way, the meat gets barely cooked. That's not what I received.

Here's the problem. It was a take-out order done late, and when I brought it back the next day to demonstrate the problem, along with some printed guides for the chefs, so that next time I ordered this way, they would know HOW to actually do it, I was given a bunch of excuses by an obnoxious bartender who seemed to be in a managerial role, or at least was determined to tell me that what happened wasn't something they did: "Oh, those things heat up after they leave here". I pointed out that this isn't so much the case if the item is properly done, then rests briefly first before going into Styrofoam. (Yes, the center does darken a bit after cooking, but not very much if something is book-rare with a thin char.)

I nicely pointed out that this is not what had occurred, and offered the steak for examination. I pointed out that, unless the Styrofoam carry-out tray had a BLOW TORCH inside it, there is no way that a third of the steak could have "self-cooked" so that it was CARBON THROUGHOUT.

When I pointed this out, nicely, the Casey's guy said "Well, this tells me nothing -- you could have done this to it yourself."

SERIOUSLY? I'm going to be accused of taking a piece of meat and burning the crap out of it, then returning it? For what reason? I didn't even care about a discount -- just for them to see the issue.

This is RUDE and INSULTING, and if that's the way you want to be treated, you can always go to Casey's of Winter Springs.

Stuff that's OK: Baked and Mashed Potatoes, and their Fries are properly prepared and usually good.

2  Thank NelsonKNelson
There are newer reviews for Casey's Grill

Reviewed August 22, 2013

If this place were more upscale looking, they would probably get much more respect...the food is great.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Great food for a great price! I went with a few friends for lunch and wasn't disappointed during my first visit. They had excellent burgers and fries! The service was great and they even pointed out a special deal they had going while I was ordering which saved me about $8.00. It's not a fancy place, but perfect for a good, inexpensive, quick lunch with friends!

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We come here often and are never disappointed. The food & service is always top-notch. The place is clean & inviting but could use some updating.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Reviewed Casey's in Nov 2011, and haven't been back after a very unpleasant experience. On a recent Tuesday, I waited in the car while husband ran into the McDonalds next door for an iced tea, and grandson wanted to know where the good smell was coming from. I told him, and he asked to go there for dinner after karate class. Reluctantly, we agreed, to please him, and to give Casey's another chance.
We were back about an hour later. I had forgotten how badly in need of repair the parking lot is...walking can be treacherous. We (4 adults, a child & an infant) were estimated a 15-minute wait. The hostess, who I remembered, was quoting the same to everyone, stating "We only have 4 servers on tonight.". Most left; they lost 5 parties that I counted. The dining room was full & noisy, and the servers appeared harried & stressed. Ours was pleasant, but having difficulty keeping up with her tables. The burger BOGO was going on (not posted outside), so no coupon use. 2 ordered the burger special, with required drinks. We had to ask for rolls (1 each) and for drink refills, and for the A-1 sauce (again). She didn't know where there was any; we pointed it out on the next table, and she said "Oh, good - you found it.". We asked the family if they were done with it, and they passed it over.
Our food arrived after a reasonable time. It was hot, cooked as requested, and everything tasted good. One member of our party, a trained chef, he felt bad for the servers being so rushed. His comment - "They're trying to run this place on the cheap. The reason there's a 15-minute wait is BECAUSE there are only 4 servers, which backs up everyone's meal.". The regulars will probably continue to put up with this nonsense. I doubt that we'll give them a third chance, because this is obviously they way they choose to do things. There are other places to eat, after all.

3  Thank stitchcat73