“If you want " Modern" not for you - if you like "History" it's a MUST”

Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winter Park
Merritt Island, Florida
“If you want " Modern" not for you - if you like "History" it's a MUST”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

If modern motel/hotels are your bag then I am not sure this is for you - if you like history, character,uniqueness and old world comfort then I highly recomend this hotel.
The Balcony rooms are small but great, the Balcony Suites are simply fantastic.
Sure the beds might be a bit small in the rooms but big double posters are in the front facing suites - sure the bathrooms are small and the showers do not flow with the strength of a tropical storm - but they are perfectly adequate AND THERE IS PLENTY OF HOT WATER
The staff are great - really friendly, helpful and efficient - more than you can say for most of your big chain hotels
The location is perfect - right on the main street of Winter Park - plenty going on and absolutely no need for a car - as for any noise - my recomendation would be to stay out with the people having a good time and don't go to bed early and moan !!
As for the Amtrac -- yes it does run at the back of the hotel - yes - it makes a noise but it doesn't run all night and in real terms it added to the charm.
In summary - if you want to stay in Historic Downtown Winter Park then stay here and get the whole experience - we had a great stay and all four of us will be recomending the hotel to our friends

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigRay54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Florida
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We booked a room for the week end, in town for a daughters birthday. We were completely charmed. It's the perfect location. Our balcony, in the New Orleans style overlooked shops and restaurants and everything going on below yet it was private and cozy. Rooms are ample with a little sitting area. Bathrrom is small but this is all part of it's historic charm. I have to say We slept so well there if I ever have insominia this place would be a cure. Yes, there is some street noise and yes a train but again all part of the charm. It just lulled me to sleep. That bed was so comfy. And in the morning the best coffee and muffins delivered on a tray for breakfast in bed or on the balcony. We will most definately go back and explore this charming area and stay again in this great little hotel!
PS did I mention those were the nicest people,that worked there too? Very helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shass
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I'm writing a review of this hotel rather than sleeping, but who can sleep with the noisy trains rumbling by anywhere from twice an hour or more - it's midnight and two trains just passed within feet of this hotel within 10 minutes of each other,.,

My room resembles a closet and my closet resembles an after-thought. Suppose to stay two nights - nope I'm moving. I'm here on business and if I don't get some sleep I'll be totally worthless.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank ARubins

Travelers are raving about these Winter Park hotels

northants
Reviewed May 7, 2010

lovely location, rooms overlooking the street have balconies for people watching and eating. restaurant food is good. staff extremely helpful.price includes free valet parking and muffin and coffee for breakfast. However, the rooms now need some restoration. Small things like the shaving mirror falling off the wall and the chipped wood finishes let the place down, as does the cleaning.The disadvantage of the street facing rooms is the nightlife which is surprisingly noisy. We were going to go back for our last night but will not do so now. If you go the rivertrip at $12 a head is well worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We had stayed in the Winter Park area previously and love walking around in the downtown area. It has charm, museums, interesting shops and Rollins college campus is small and attractive. We had walked past the Park Plaza many times and thought it would be fun to stay right in the heart of town. I had read some of the critiques on Trip Advisor but the reason for going to Winter Park was to stay there, fore-warned and do the town some more. We had stayed at a different hotel in October. Checking in, the front desk person pulled the baggage cart in from the curb from the end with the fixed wheels. It was trouble and even I know to do it from the swivel end but it wasn't far. The elevator call button was pressed and we waited. No elevator appeared. After a minute or two the comment was, "It must be stuck upstairs, again. Go ahead and walk up and I'll be there shortly." It's only one flight so no big deal unless quite elderly or infirm. The lobby is dark wood and attractive. The room was small. The closet was in the room entry, a short hall, and had no light. You couldn't see what you were doing in there. When repacking you had to feel the floor to be sure you hadn't left a pair of shoes pushed into a corner. The room was poorly lighted with a low level bulb as part of the ceiling fan. The one small lamp next to the bed was not really bright enough for reading and my spouse had to use a travel light clipped to her book. The TV was perched on top of a dresser beyond the foot of the bed and was miniscule in size. We put a DVD in my computer and watched a movie on the laptop monitor. It was larger than the TV. The bath was quaint. Small pedestal wash basin, separate spigots for hot and cold water, and no counter top surface anywhere. A narrow glass shelf was above it that held a glass. My Dopp kit was too wide to stay there and it was almost eye level anyway. The bathtub sat up on feet, the water mix control was two separate knobs and the shower head a large circle with low pressure. The floor was those small hexagonal tiles and uneven. The place hadn't been touched since it was built. The outside balcony had palms separating the area between rooms but you could walk around them and visit neighbors if you so chose. There were ashtrays on the arms of the outside chairs so I guess they allow smoking there. The trains were noisy, the street traffic was very noticeable until it died off because of the hour but the real kicker was the motorcycle that fired up about 2:00 AM that sounded like it was in the room. It sat there and was revved up for several minutes before roaring off. You could hear sounds from the hallway and other rooms. The muffins, juice and coffee served in the lobby in the morning are fine. We are very experienced travelers and believe we roll with the punches but for the price we were disappointed.
We cut our visit short and checked out.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank lcmfla
Wantagh, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We had traveled to Winter Park in the past, and always admired the location and look of the Park Plaza hotel. The second floor balconies beckoned and the lobby was authentic 1920's. On a previous visit we asked the front desk if we could see the rooms, and they were happy to take us upstairs for a look. The rooms are small, bathrooms tiny, antique furnishings and so inviting. Very romantic. Although the price is higher than most other hotels in the area, we planned to stay next time we were in town, and we finally did.

If you've been on Park Ave and thought of staying there, our advice is treat yourself and do it. The authenticity, charm and warmth are as you would expect from a friendly old hotel. Staff was very accommodating, polite and welcoming. If you love the Park Ave stores and restaurants, you will love the convenient location. As we walked into the lobby to check in, we were so excited to finally stay there. We loved the terrycloth robes they provided and wore them while having muffins and coffee brought to our room for breakfast, sitting out on the balcony we admired for so long. It's one long balcony with plants separating each room's space, and that was sufficient. Breakfast time room service of muffins and coffee/tea and juice was included in the price.

If you've not been to Park Ave. and/or hate old hotels, you may not have an appreciation for the Park Plaza as I see some of the comments below. It is not for people who must have large, modern hotel space. We like that too most of the time, but we knew what to expect and loved staying there.

The Amtrak rail just a block away behind the hotel . Do not let that deter you from staying there if all else is appealing. Our room faced Park Ave and it did not disturb us at all. The hotel is on a corner. Pull up on the front or side and they'll help you unload the car. Free valet parking. The lot is behind the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MemberTraveler
Orlando
Reviewed October 5, 2009

As a resident of Orlando and frequent visitor to Park Avenue in Winter Park, I was familiar with the Park Plaza hotel prior to our stay. Everytime I find myself on Park Avenue, I have looked up at the balcony's of the Park Plaza and told myself "someday I am going to get a room there." Well this past weekend my husband's birthday gave me the perfect reason to follow through and try this hotel. We stayed in a balcony room on the Park Avenue side of the hotel and absolutely loved it. The rooms were lovely and the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Central Business District
DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Sheraton Orlando North
#2 of 6 in Maitland

Been to Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park? Share your experiences!