“Very mixed experience ....”
Review of Luma

Luma
Ranked #3 of 354 Restaurants in Winter Park
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Luma on Park is a high-energy, casual American kitchen serving delectable food and dining, where the fare speaks for itself and the wine program is all about the juice. We want our guests to feel comfortable dining the way they please, whether they prefer a traditional three-course meal or an array of small eclectic dishes.Luma’s menu offers the freshest seasonal ingredients and herbs to enhance the flavor profile of its cuisine. Every culinary experience will be different, but our diligent staff is thoroughly trained in all aspects of food and beverage to display the idea of service being as important as the food for the ultimate dining experience. Luma's private dining room, The Cellar is a lavish, exclusive room that can seat 48 people and is equipped with state-of-the-art audiovisual equipment ideal for major events, from corporate gatherings to wedding receptions.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I can see why this restaurant is rated #8 on TripAdvisor, but for us it was closer to #188 !

The ambiance, the location, the design and the other diners food looked fantastic.

My wife is lactose intolerant so there is always some 'adjustment' to be made with most dishes. She ordered a salad appetizer which was 'safe' except for the dressing which contained cheese. We asked for no dressing and simply some oil & vinegar. The waitress seemed a little confused and we suspected that all the salads were prepared pre-dressed. When the salad arrived we could not believe how little 'salad' it contained. Approx. 1oz of greens with some fig/tomato garnish. They said they had already dressed the salad, but we could taste nothing and were never offered additional oli & vinegar.

I ordered the foie gras mousse, which was delicious although a little deceiving. The use of the word 'mousse' means they have basically blended up a meat mixture which contains some foie gras. Something more akin to a smooth 'pate'.

For the entree my wife ordered a burger without the brioche bun (lactose). it was 'OK' but we were expecting a burger that was elevated over a 'chain' burger. This one wasn't.

I ordered the pasta with bolognaise sauce. It was VERY tasty but not a bolognaise sauce, as it contained a noticeable amount of red pepper seasoning, something which was not described on the menu. I enjoyed it, it tasted great, but it wasn't was described.

Add to the food 3 alcoholic drinks and we'd blasted through more than $100 ! for a salad, 'pate', a burger with fries and a bowl of pasta !

As I said, I feel our experience may not have been typical, but we're not sure that it merits a return visit.

1  Thank BritBoyInFL

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I guess I am just a simple person but I do not really care that much about truffles and atmosphere so I wanted to preface it with that. The decor here was very nice and it had the elegant atmosphere people seeking that would crave. There is even a private dining room in the basement or wine cellar with a nice sitting area and a large dining table that would be perfect for a dinner party of 12 or so. There is a large screen television so some could sit and have pre-dinner (or after dinner) drinks in the leather chairs while others sat at the dining table to chat. it would be a very good place for such an event.

The food menu changes frequently according to our wait staff. The selections were all high end fare with elaborate descriptions of the ingredients. It was ala carte in that entrees came without a side dish or salad or soup so such things had to be ordered separately for an additional charge. The presentation of the items was good and the chef had taken care to create more than just food. I do not normally care about presentation one way or the other but I did want to note it since there was an effort made to do it and it matters to some people. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal and the staff was attentive. The pacing was a little slower than I normally care for although others in my party were enjoying the slow pace so it is a personal preference i think.

Without beverages, I believe you can expect to spend a minimum of $50 per person and it is more likely to be closer to $75 with salad or soup, sides and deserts. if you like fine dining or need a special place for a special dinner, I would recommend it.

Parking is not easy but note that they do offer free valet parking. It was raining and we did not notice that as we drove around searching for a parking spot (in pay for parking lots) so keep that in mind if you go. No need to hunt for parking.

1  Thank PaxvilleBoy
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent a few days in Winter Park as we have been all around Orlando but never taken the time to see what people like here. Luma on the Park is clearly one the things you will enjoy. The large wine selection is a little overwhelming when you first arrive but not to worry. They have built a menu that allows for wine beginners as well as those who know enough about wines to be dangerous to their own pocketbook. They have price levels built into a matrix so that you can purchase by bottle or glass and then see how they would blend with your food more easily.

As for the food, our meals were extremely well prepared and despite limited choices, there is more than enough to satisfy almost any palate. This is another place committed to organic and sustainable farming suppliers, so the menu emphasized many fresh articles from local vendors as well. We would highly recommend you search out the fresh salad items as their small plates included peaches, fennel, apricots, goat feta, heirloom tomatoes, and deep fried squash blossoms all on one salad with a perfect vinaigrette. The entrée items range from wonderful flat bread/pizzas to fresh fish and steaks but the combination of all of these flavors makes for a wonderful dining experience. We highly recommend!

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Norwegian salmon appetizer fresh made tortellini and flank steak for lunch with Cesar salad all were excellent in presentation and most of all taste. Wine selection was also excellent. Location just across from the park made the lunch memorable. Would recommend the short drive if you are down for the parks to the winter park area of park street lots of shops restaurants reminds me a lot of healdsburg in wine country minus the mountains of course

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I dined here for the first time July 2013 and what a great place to eat! I've eaten at many Winter Park restaurants on Park Ave and they've all been fairly good. But this one is head and shoulders above the rest! The menu changes frequently and it's all locally sourced, sustainable, and very fresh. Ask for the truffle popcorn as it's not on the menu. They have a large dining room downstairs if you have a bigger party; there was a wedding reception going on when we were there. Also, try visiting after 9 PM and you may just see a celebrity or two. Paul McCartney was there after his concert as his step-son is a student at Rollins College.