“Improving”

Another Broken Egg Cafe
Ranked #42 of 333 Restaurants in Winter Park
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Orlando, Florida
“Improving”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This will be 2 reviews in one.
Our first visit (husband, 14 mo/old granddaughter & myself) was for breakfast toward the end of their second week. We were seated immediately, at the last table available, just to the right of the front door. The table itself would have qualified as a thrill ride - it rocked back & forth, side to side, and spun on its pedestal. Things were actually moving on the tabletop. We couldn't stabilize it, and our GD ended up getting her fingers pinched hard against her highchair. I'm sure other diners wondered what we had done to make her howl. They were out of unsweetened tea, so our server brought me very sweet tea (ugh!), which I sent back in favor of a Coke - not in the habit of drinking that with an omelet. She did bring unsweetened once it was made. It took a full 45 minutes to get our food - 2 omelets, plus eggs over-easy for Little Miss. It was good, but she was hungry & losing patience. Everyone was pleasant, but we had to ask for beverage refills, and I've never had something substituted without being asked first. She meant well, I know - it was just odd. Hopefully, the rock'n'roll table was taken apart & reassembled before someone else got pinched, or their food slid off the end.

We decided to try again this week, and it was a much better experience. Service is youthful, friendly, and very attentive. The cafe is mostly hard surfaces, so noisy, but a good kind of noisy. Tables are pretty close together, which makes navigating to the restroom in the back interesting - I have my doubts that a wheelchair guest could do it without furniture (& other diners) being moved. Restroom immaculate, BTW. Coffee cup, tea & water glasses were kept filled, and the food arrived within a reasonable time. The omelet, bacon & eggs & 2 eggs for the little one were tasty - her eggs were huge, and she enjoyed them immensely. I will say that the potatoes are not much different from those at Perkins - I'd rather have the option of grits or a small fruit cup. The table stayed put, and Little Miss liked being able to see the sports highlights on the bar TVs. Outdoor seating is available, but it looks out on Publix's parking lot, so not exactly scenic, and I suspect it will be too hot to eat out there in a matter of weeks.
We'll be back - for brunch or lunch next time. I want to try the shrimp & grits.

Visited March 2014

Orlando, Florida
“Meh.”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I read a lot of the reviews about this new restaurant before dining here and, contrary to what some of them said, we had no issues with the service at the restaurant. Everyone we dealt with was pleasant and attentive. And we had virtually no wait - on a Friday morning we were told approximately 5-10 minutes and probably waited less than five (the issue seemed to be not enough clean tables as opposed to not enough available tables). So if the problem was not with the staff I am sorry to have to say that it was with the food. It was all hot and fully cooked and edible...it just wasn't very good. My mom wasn't feeling well so she got a plain belgian waffle, pretty hard to mess that up, so nothing to say there. I, on the other hand, after shared deliberation with our waitress, decided upon the sweet potato pancake. A single, plate-sized, think pancake with whipped cream and a smattering of pecan pieces. The pancake itself was spicy and heavy (even more so than the usual pancake) and there was nothing especially sweet potatoey about it except for a few tiny orange flakes in the batter. It was also drizzled with some sort of sauce and orange rind. Maybe it was a personal preference thing, but I had to scrape it off because it was making a pretty lackluster pancake worse. I could only manage about half, very unusual for me, and I had to steal home fries off my grandma's plate to dilute the overseasoned taste. The home fries were typical little friend potatoes you get anywhere, but they were good. My grandma had the veggie omelet. It was large, though not overly full with mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, and goat cheese. I ate the half she didn't want and thought it was a bit overcooked and generally uninspired. Like I said, everyone here was lovely and I don't want to harp on it being a bad dining experience, because it wasn't, but I just wish the food were better :/

• Visited March 2014
“First Visit a Hit! ”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try this restaurant today, never having been before. We'll be back! Atmosphere, presentation, taste... all exceeded expectations. Good service, too. Highly recommended.

Winter Park, Florida
“Response”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Islanddiamond I am so sorry to hear about your visit to our restaurant. My name is Leo Grossman I am the general manager at the location. I would love for you to contact me at 813-352-1742 so we could discuss the visit as well as getting you back to the location to try that lunch item as our guest. please feel free to contact me at anytime or come by the restaurant and I will treat you as my guest. Thank you so much for letting us know as we strive to make each and every guest pleased and the only way we will ever get better is by hearing what we did wrong. So thank you for helping us make this the best breakfast lunch brunch establishment in Winter Park.

Leo Grossman

Visited February 2014
Maitland
“Needs more time”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This particular branch of the ABEC is brand new. Has only been open for a week. So I typically give them the benefit of the doubt. They have been slammed with long wait times. I was fairly lucky. I was told 35 min wait time and was seated in 15 mins. Probably easier to find a table for a party of one! Service was good and friendly. Only downfall was it took 35 mins for my food to arrive after ordering. And remember it's just me so they were not having to choreograph multiple diners. Food quality was good. I did not love what I ordered. Potatoes are nothing special and my omelet was over powered with entirely too much sausage. The menu is quiet varied so I will go again and try a lunch item. One nice thing that they have up on First Watch...they have a full bar! If you feel like drinking before 3:00pm. Give them time to iron out the kinks. It's a lovely location with outdoor dining as well!

Visited February 2014