“French Experience in Florida”
Review of Cafe de France

Cafe de France
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe de France is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 354 Restaurants in Winter Park
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Cafe de France opened its doors to Park Avenue in July 1982. Since then it has always been owned and operated by French natives, following the pattern of many little restaurants in Europe. Cafe de France takes pride in serving the freshest ingredients brought in daily. All dishes are freshly prepared on premises. Our specials change everyday, according to market availability. Full bar and wine cuvinet We hope you'll enjoy your dining experience in our quaint restaurant, and we look forward to your future visit. OPEN FOR LUNCH AND DINNER, TUESDAY THRU SATURDAY! Open for lunch. Bon appetit!
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Found this restaurant through OpenTable, and thought we would see if it lived up to the Paris bistros we visited during our last trip there. Overall, the food was very much on par, very fresh ingredients and well executed. Started with the SALADE ROMAINE "BLT", which carried a bit of a surprise with the grilled lettuce, but it gave it a char flavor that added to the salad. Between the two of us, we had the FILET MIGNON DE BOEUF SAUCE VERTE and the OSSO BUCCO DE VEAU. Both were well prepared and flavorful - it would be hard to choose one better over the other. The meal on the whole was a bit more pricey than I expected, but I think we may have done that to ourselves with the wine. The meal itself came in at $75, an ok value.

1  Thank Travis C

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Really incredible food and service. Never Disappointed. The restaurant has been around for years and is a local favorite. Great for business or dinner with friends.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you haven't tried this restaurant, you're missing a warm and tasty Foodie experience. Dominique, her husband German (pronounced "Hairman") Gutierrez, the proprietors, and their knowledgable and friendly staff make everyone welcome for a lovely meal.
Last week we took another couple to a wine-pairing dinner at CdF, only our second time, and loved it. The amazing part is how much of a difference the pairing makes to the taste of both the wine AND the food. Last week, they paired wines and aperitifs from Italy with the various courses.
With the King Crab salad with compressed melon starter, the guest wine expert paired a beautiful dry organic Tiamo Prosecco. The small bubbles went so well with the chilled Crab, which itself tasted fresh from the sea. For a second meal here in a row, I also discovered a tasty new grape-- in this case the Kerner grape from the area near the Italian/Austrian border. I looked it up later-- it was a hybrid made in 1929 of some red grape I never heard of and a Riesling, and was named after a German poet who wrote many poems about wine. The wine is made by monks in an Italian Abbey. The "Abbazia Di Novacella Kerner " was wonderfully paired with a Tuna Crudo. I was a little skeptical ahead of time, and would not have ordered this from the menu if I had the choice. Raw tuna can be a little iffy if not totally fresh, and besides, I thought I preferred my tuna cooked. But I needn't have worried--- it turned out to be my favorite of the evening. The tuna crudo was lightly drizzled with olive oil, a little salt, a lemon confit, artichoke and the delightfully salty little explosions of fried capers-- and with the wine combined to make my mouth very happy. The next course was "House made Cappelletti stuffed with spinach, ricotta and served with wild mushroom and Pancetta". This was deliciously paired with an Italian red, " Casanova Neri Rosso Sant Antimo." Then for the final course -- a killer dessert-- Chocolate cake with a vanilla & olive oil gelato. The cake was more like a lava cake, with dark, semi-sweet chocolate oozing out of the middle, and the Gelato was rich and tasty. But the last wine pairing was strange but brilliant. A sweet and slightly bitter 16% alcohol wine--"Cocchi Barolo Chinato." The sweetness of the red wine matched the sweetness of the chocolate and then immediately contrasted with the lingering bitterness of the finish.
As you probably gather, this was a lovely evening of food and wine with friends. I recommend that you get on their email mailing list so you can get to experience one of these dinners. You can even buy any wines that especially appealed to you at the end of the evening.
A disclaimer-- I am neither a relative, close friend or in any way benefitting from this review. I am just hoping to drive a few more people to experience and support a local gem of a restaurant. If I can figure out how to do it, I will upload the menu from our dinner, as well as a photo or two!

1  Thank ChristianH521
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I went in for lunch today, for our first visit and we were both blown away. The homemade pate (rabbit and pork belly) was outstanding and the escargot were very flavorful. We both had the lamb sandwich and again superb. Just a great dining experience with nice friendly and efficient staff. If you like french food this is well worth a visit.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This restaurant at one end of Park Avenue offers excellent, friendly service and fine food. Lunch is quiet and relaxed. The restaurant prepares its own pate which is excellent.