“Very Nice Evening!”

Carmel Cafe & Wine Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our vibrant flavors of Modern Mediterranean cuisine meet the relaxed Florida lifestyle at Carmel Cafe & Wine Bar. Friends and family savor conversation while sharing a variety of tempting dishes-each fresh, flavorful and seductive. The atmosphere is stylish and inviting, making it a lively neighborhood scene and the perfect place to meet up.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great small plates, as well as full-size meals. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Even though they had a full house, there was no pressure to hurry us out, and all of the food at our table was wonderful!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went to Carmel last week, and, having been a few times before was looking forward to another nice evening....but it fell short of previous visits. We sat down and went over the menu and ordered bisque and salads, as well as our entrees. The salads came to the table and I politely reminded the server about the bisque. About half way through the salads I see our server and another approaching the table with our entrees which they proceeded to place on the table.... really? We hadn't even finished our salads and the bisque never did show up. By the time one of us finished their salad I'm sure their entree was luke warm at best. My steak was undercooked and lacked the hollandaise? bernaise? that was supposed to finish the dish. For the rest of the evening, which didn't last long, I felt as though we were being rushed - as though they wanted to turn the table and seat another party who would spend more. I'll give it another try....
but What Happened?

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We will be back for sure. The menu is great, but the flatbread with bacon was rather bland tasting. Really want to try the happy hour menu. A tv at the bar for sports viewing. Fun for couples, groups and families.

1  Thank Stellus
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My sister selected this restaurant tonight to celebrate her birthday. She had been there once when they first opened and this was my first time. We thoroughly enjoy going to new restaurants and trying them together because we love to eat and cook.

They have a good price fixe menu for under $13. You get an appetizer, soup or salad and a small entree. You can up the portion of the entree for $4. We decided to go with this menu because the choices and pricing were good!

We ordered the artichoke and spinach dip to get started. It was a generous portion and the taste was fine. We both had the chick pea fries for our appetizer. Absolutely delicious. I never had anything like it before. Came with delicious sauces (tomato jam, curry aioli). Deb had a salad which she said was fine and I had the most delicious lobster bisque for I believe a $1 extra. WELL worth it.

For entrees Debbie ordered the Moroccan lemon chicken with cous cous and I had the steak frites with fries. Deb was delivered salmon instead of chicken. They promptly took it away but took longer than I would have expected to replace it. However when they did they also brought an entirely new entree for me. I have never had a restaurant do that before. I had already finished most of my meal so I took it home. I thought that was really nice.

We were also given a free dessert which I assume was for the mix up as well. It was strawberries with an almond sauce over fried pound cake. Nice dessert.

In terms of drinks Debbie had a couple of glasses of wine she enjoyed. They give you a few portion choices and have a nice selection of wines. I had a white sangria and a red. The latter was not good at all - too much triple sec but the red was pretty good.

Service was provided by Kayla. She was absolutely delightful. Couldn't have asked for a nicer server. In fact everyone is incredibly friendly at this restaurant.

Overall we gave Carmel Cafe a 4. If we had to break it down it would be as follows: Food to value 4. Execution 3. Making you feel good to be there 4.5. Menu choices 4. It is very good for apps/wine and to just hang out - more so than a special dinner out.

The layout is a bit different as well with a variety of ways in which to relax and enjoy your visit. They have a nice little bar, long tables for big parties, lovely comfy couches for a more casual drink seating and also indoor/outdoor seating in which to eat.

We recommend this restaurant. It is a nice addition to the Winter Park scene. Check it out!

1  Thank dianegooslin1960
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Before going to a meeting, I stopped by the Carmel Cafe to try it out. When I arrived, the host asked how many in my party. Since I was alone, I thought it was an odd question. When I told him just me, he asked if I would prefer to sit at the bar. Another odd question. I said I would prefer a booth in the main seating area. He sat me at a very dark table and i asked if I could move to a table just across the room with good lighting because I told him I had something i needed to read. He said that he would increase the lighting over my table, but did not agree to my request. The iPad menu and the regular menus were a bit odd, but maybe their clientele likes these things. But I could not read my menu in the dim lighting. When my very nice server came over, I asked if he could turn the lighing up and he said that it was as brfight as it could be at my table. I again asked to move, and he graciously moved me and said it was no problem. I watched as another single person came in and he too was seated at that very dark table, so my unscientific survey seems to indicate that there was some disinterest in single diners. My grilled cheese, bacon, and avocado sandwich was good, but they don't seem to know the difference between quinoa and couscous as my side was mislabeled on the iPad menu. I told the server about my dissatisfaction with the way I was treated and asked if i could speak to the manager. He told me that the person who seated me was the manager, so I just paid my bill and left. A disappointing encounter at an average restaurant.