“Very pleasant surprise”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Formerly Houston's
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hillstone is located where Houston's used to be. Came here on a whim and were was happy we did. The welcoming was warm and the service excellent - without being intrusive. The restaurant is lake-front and offers indoor and outdoor seating. When we asked the servers for suggestions, I noticed they did not recommend the most expensive wine or food, but rather what they thought would be appropriate for what we were looking for. The food was outstanding. We had the ribs and the salmon. Both were excellent. The Caesar’s salads were good, but still miss the special garlic dressing Houston’s used to have. The atmosphere adds to the whole experience. This is not a cheap restaurant but, despite what other posters have said, I found the total bill fair for what we received. We will surely come back again.

1  Thank hacmco

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went there for my daughter's birthday. We had just finished dinner and 2 women approached the men at our table and passed out cards to Rachel's men's club. Since when is soliciting appropriate in a restaurant in supposedly a restaurant with some class? Told the waitress about it and she basically said the owner of this Rachel's is in there a lot spending money. My daughter was in the ladies room and heard these two I guess prostitutes saying lets leave we aren't going to make any money here. Found the manager told him the story and he apologized he had no idea this was going on - yeah right. A waitress knows what's going on and he doesn't. Won't be back to that diner again a lot nicer places around.

3  Thank dima11
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I both ordered the salmon dinner. I know I can't post the price, but let's just say I could have fed a family of 10 for what we paid. My husband wanted to substitute another vegetable for the mashed potatoes. Nope, can't do that... No salad comes with the dinner, and we never even saw bread come out. Don't you think they could have managed that for the price we paid? The staff was friendly and the food was very good, however, I can get a whole lot more of the same good food elsewhere. Unfortunately, we will not be going back to Hillstone. I also asked the waitress if they do anything special for birthdays. Nope.. but of course you can pre-order a dessert and we will put a candle in it... no thanks... we'll go get an ice cream cone on the way home !!

2  Thank Tina W
Reviewed July 11, 2014

While traveling through Winter Park Florida, we had lunch in Hillstone, also part of Houstons. The food was really good, especially the kale salad. However our waiter was amazing. I am a real critic when it comes to quality service and this young man is the real deal. His name was Steven. He was well spoken, on time, articulate, and obviously educated. He was personable, not in a rehearsed way, but naturally and very professional and I believe he should be recruited to teach 80% of waiters how to treat and speak to people. I don't know what this young mans long term goals are but I am sure he will rise to the top. It is very refreshing to find quality people. I live in South Florida where there is a serious lack of quality service. I will be back. My daughter, who by the way insist that I mention that Steven is a very good looking young man, will be returning as well with her friends. Good job Hillstone.
Lana

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a great place with outside seating this is perfect. It is overlooking a lake and also has dining on the dock for larger parties. It is a little more enjoyable during the cooler months although you can catch some cool evenings during the summer. But make sure that you call quickly for a reservation if you see that it's going to be a cool evening as everyone has the same idea. You can also take a stroll through the herb garden while enjoying a glass of wine or just sit back on the chairs and do some duck watching. The food is great but if you don't like a lot of noise while you're eating, outside is a must because it is very loud inside unless you get there before 5 pm.
The grilled artichokes and smoked salmon are great appetizers!