“Nice restaurant--service was very good.”

Hillstone Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 334 Restaurants in Winter Park
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Formerly Houston's
Orlando, Florida
“Nice restaurant--service was very good.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Atmosphere and service were great but food was good. We did have a nice time but I do believe the food was a bit overpriced. I had the salmon, my friends had the Hillstone burger and the steak. Nothing to write home about really, for the cost of each--not that impressed. I would go back if nothing for the casual atmosphere and helpful service.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank auntcyndi

Orlando, Florida
“New Management, No customer service”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

As a long time regular I've enjoyed many meals. New management has recently implemented policies that are not customer friendly. Today I asked for a minor modification in addition to not getting cheese on a sandwich. I was informed by the general manager "we like the way the sandwich comes." I was unaware that anyone but me was ordering, eating, or paying for my sandwich. I've spent $564 in the past month. I will never go back. What used to be a consistent and pleasant experience is going down hill quickly. Check here, Yelp, and others....and you will see many similar comments. There are many new choices in Winter Park...many just a short distance away. The service once made up for the sky high prices for pretty basic food. Now that the new GM has taken away the service, this is just an overpriced bad experience.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Bill_J111
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hillstone”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

What a great restaurant! If the weather is nice, outdoor seating is a must. This restaurant has great food with great service.

• Visited May 2014
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Downhill Slide”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This restaurant was once very guest friendly with good food, but now it seems to have waiters that argue and chefs that won't honor simple special instructions. Upon arriving for a late lunch we asked for a booth close to the windows so we could enjoy the lake view. The host took us sideways to an upper level away from the window towards the far end of the restaurant. When I explained we wanted to be seated on the lower level the host reluctantly turned back with no smile as if she was doing us a favor when she realized we were not following her up and away from the lake. A little hospitality might have been nice considering the restaurant had only 5 tables at the time. Our drink order went well from the cocktail server and then the waiter arrived to take our order. I ordered a Chicken Salad from the menu and asked for the bed of greens with chicken but asked that provolone or jack cheese be added to the salad and explained I did not want any dressing in the salad or on the side. The waiter immediately began telling me what the chef would NOT do. First I could NOT get the salad without dressing....Really? Then I could NOT get it with cheese and he would have to check with the chef to see what cheese they had and if it was permitted to go on the side and definitely I could NOT get a chicken breast only the chicken breast cut in strips and he knew for sure I could NOT have melted cheese on the chicken breast or have it on the side. He said "SORRY but the kitchen is very particular about how our food is served" WOW !!! Apparently pleasing the chef is more important than pleasing the guest. After a while the waiter came back to confirm I could NOT get cheese on the salad and NOT melted and NOT get a chicken breast only strips of chicken and only on the side and the chicken could NOT be hot. The chef finally had agreed to serve it without the dressing and give me a NOT melted piece of cheese on a separate plate and the chef finally agreed that he could put salad with out dressing in the bowl. Whew.... way too difficult for a $17 salad that came with the chicken in it initially. The salad arrived with wilted not fresh salad mix, stale tortilla strips and some fresh carrots and a side bowl of cold chicken and a separate plate with cold cheese. It seemed to me the chef should be worried about using old salad mix and stale tortilla chips verses special instructions. Then when I ordered a brownie sundae from the menu for dessert the chef had run out of brownies so I could only get ice cream with chocolate sauce. No apology for that. "NO tonight we are only offering the ice cream sundae." I think this place has success syndrome because they are located on a lake and as I did people smile, and agree and take in the view but the reality is that the other two diners with me had tough prime rib and were not impressed by the food quality at all. The pervasive lack of positive attitude toward the guest through out the whole experience needs to be improved. The option of going outside after the meal and enjoying the lake is really nice but the food and service are not top notch for the prices.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank JAS1000
Pittsboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always wonderful”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

The food is always wonderful. The staff is well trained and always helpful and attentive. The atmosphere is relaxed but high-end. Try to go just before sunset and get a table or booth with a view out the windows. Watching the sun set over the lake is magical.

Visited June 2014