“Among the best chain restaurants in the industry. Almost always perfect”

Hillstone Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 342 Restaurants in Winter Park
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Formerly Houston's
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Houston's (Hillstone) - still one of the best restaurant chains in the business. Admittedly, I am biased, having worked at one for a few years, but there isn't a bad thing on the menu (except the cous cous, which is the devil). In the realm of chain restaurants, Hillstone is one of the few really good ones.

Wanted to come in for dinner, but our Orlando schedule didn't work out, so we came for lunch on Sunday. Even on a gloom, rainy day, the views of the lake out back are beautiful. Probably one of the nicest locations for a restaurant one could want.

Our server was attentive, but not intrusive, as is the Hillstone way.

We obviously started with a spinach and artichoke dip, because you have to. As always, my favorite spinach dip from any restaurant. Wonderfully cheese and creamy. I went with my old reliable for lunch - french dip sandwich. Rare roast beef shaved thin on a buttered hoagie (hold the mayo) with a cup of au jus for dippingm and fries. Devoured it. Sandwich didn't last 5 minutes. My girlfriend had their veggie burger on my suggestion. Don't know if she agreed with me that it's the best veggie burger she could have, but she did really enjoy it. She didn't care for the cous cous, but the cous cous is the only thing on that menu I have ever not liked.

Houstons (Hillstone) will always be one of my favorite restaurants. I hate the fact that they never expanded to the west coast of Florida - they have multiple locations on the east, but not one in Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, etc. That said, I removed a star because as much as I love it, the prices are a bit outrageous. Almost $20 for a roast beef sandwich really isn't acceptable. A spinach dip appetizer, even as good as this one is, shouldn't cost $15. So, I love it, but even if I lived near Winter Park, the prices would keep me from going too often. It would have to be a treat, not a regular stop.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had dinner here last week end, and had not been since it changed from Houston's to Hillstone, which is the parent company. A few years now. The outdoor dining is the best, lake front, lush landscaping, etc... We dined indoors, and had an excellent meal! Mediterranean See Bass, and Lump Crab cakes were our entree's, and both were prepared perfectly! The Smoked Salmon appetizer was also great.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hillstone starts with valet parking, limited menu, everything is alacarte and not even a table cloth. Two positives great view of the lake and the wait staff. I think for the pricing they could provide more to make it a memorable dinning experience.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I first fell in love with Hillstone about five years ago. I dine at the Park Avenue South, NY location at least five times a year. Last month was my first visit to Winter Park location and this place was wonderful. It was all about the ambiance, the atmosphere, the grounds, the lake, the dock and most of all the food. Everything was just warm and lovely. You must go there; I am going back next month.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had a drink on the Dock on the Lake, Sat for dinner at an outside table. The atmosphere the service and the food all very good. Will go back and recommend to all.