“Top-notch, waterfront dining. Excellent all around”

Hillstone Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 354 Restaurants in Winter Park
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Formerly Houston's
Reviewed October 7, 2013

****Formerly known as Houston's!
(the sign says Hillstone but the door says Houston's)

Went here last night for my birthday, our server was excellent. I can't remember her name, I want to say Sarah, she was blonde with glasses. My only complaint: They have no cocktail menu which I think is a missed revenue opportunity but no matter. Had a standard Mojito. The 1st was one of the best Mojitos I'd ever had, the 2nd was good but kind of regretted ordering another expensive cocktail since it wasn't as amazing like the first.

Back to the food: it was soooo good. The prices listed on their website are actually higher than the prices on the menu. just FYI. Anyway had the spinach & artichoke dip... AMAZING. So so good. We gobbled it up.

Entrees: Ribs really did fall off the bone. Amazing coleslaw. But that Hawaiian Rib-eye, soo good!!! Cooked to perfection, amazing char on it, the marinade is fantastic!!! Its sweet but savory, great hawaiian/asian twist on an american classic. I LOVED it. The marinade is a little on the sweet side which I thoroughly enjoyed - it really helped tenderize the meat, but one member of our party thought it was too sweet. But she doesn't like sweets at all so she doesn't count.

Dessert: Hot fudge sundae. OMG they give you a giant gravy boat full of hot fudge. I loved drenching my dessert it in. I even poured some chocolate in my coffee. Delicious!!!
Also had this apple/walnut cobbler kind of thing. Was amazingggg as well!.

Amazing experience, ask for a good view. Make reservations. Valet isn't forced for lunch, but seems to be for Dinner. Leave plenty of time to sit outside and have a drink/enjoy the gardens. The property is amazing.

1  Thank RT_in_FL

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I love Houston's/Hillstone. It is always a consistent meal with good food. NOTE: if you go on the weekends make sure you make dinner reservations as you could be waiting for a long time.

2  Thank BamaGeek11
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This place is seemingly always packed whenever I drive by and there is a reason - it's really good.
I've eaten here multiple times for lunch for business meetings and I am always happy with my meal. Here are some tips
1) It's not cheap. Lunch is easily $20/person but it's worth it. The food is very tasty and fresh and the portions are generous
2) There is a wonderful view of the lake from many of the tables - even if you sit inside by the bar.
3) Reservations are probably a good idea - even at lunch - especially if you want a good table with best view
4) valet is available but not required
5) I've had multiple items on the menu but my favorite is probably the ahi tuna salad - it's awesome
6) good for business meetings - even though its got a good hum inside from the other diners, you have plenty of space to relax and talk at your booth/table

overall if you want a nice place to enjoy lunch or dinner, give this a try

1  Thank thehelpfuldad
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently went to Hillstone by recommendation from a friend. It couldn't have been a better one. The restaurant ambiance is just great, the location by the lake is 10 points, the food was very good, the wine list was appropriate and reasonable; and the staff was one of the best we've had in a long time (in the US). Always felt taken care of but without being on top of you. Never rushed, great demeanor by all waiters/waitresses. We're going back next weekend...

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I used to love Houston's and also Hillstone, although I find that each time I go there the food and service are less and less appealing. With so many restaurants to choose from I'm thinking it might not be on my list of places to go any longer.

Went with a group of my friends. It was so expensive for the food given that we were surprised. They have consistently raised their prices to Ruth's Chris, Morton's type prices. And quite frankly, for those prices I would not choose to eat at Hillstone. One of my friends, who is battling cancer, ordered salmon ($27 - no salad, no bread) and asked that it be cooked with very little butter. It came to the table swimming in butter. She had them take it back. The salmon came with mashed potatoes and fresh broccoli. When her plate returned, they had a dry piece of salmon and had taken off the potatoes. She asked where the potatoes were and they said they took them off the plate because there was butter in them. What? And to make matters worse, they didn't even ask if she wanted a substitution. Amazing! Obviously she will not be returning.

Salad is $6 additional. You do not get bread. The cheeseburger is $15. The service was so so at best.

There were 5 people in our party. Not one of them was happy with the price vs the food. I used to love this restaurant, but I think the love affair is over - so many other places to go.

1  Thank Tbelle