“Shipwreck!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I will start on a positive note, the beers were phenomenal, when we could get any form of service. We started out on the outside tables and were never offered any water, although every other table had plenty. On to our first interaction with the server who strolled on over after 15 minutes (another server was even concerned as she checked on us before ours arrived). Finally get our beers ordered and they come to the table 12 minutes later, mind you I have no water and we are in Florida in August, thirsty was an understatement. We ask for water from the server and that never comes, I finally asked the Valet guy to get us some water, he saved the day (and deserved the tip!!). Once the beers arrived we put in our order for dinner. As we had 3 sampler beer trays and a 16 oz beer, I thought we were in good shape now, boy was I wrong, all glasses were empty for another 13 minutes before I had to flag down another server AGAIN for help. Food then arrived for MOST of us 1 hours after we ordered it, but it appears the server forgot to add in one meal, so we all had to share food so everyone could eat. One of the meals that was actually delivered was awful, sausage overcooked and looked like a burnt hot dog (straight off the menu this meal was described as 'Winter Park Meathouse Sausage Plate'. The name was way off as this is hardly a filling meal, maybe if it was prepared correctly I would feel different, YUCK! At this point I had enough and gave our server some direct feedback on the level of service we were receiving. He was a nice guy, very apologetic, but just didn't get it, the bad service continued. He did send the manager over, then I realized what the issue was, management all the way. This manager sauntered over in a plain tshirt and jeans (not even Shipyard Branded!), her appearance alone commanded zero credibility, then she spoke. This put me over the edge, we asked for the check (they did comp the awful meal and the one that never arrived) but that was hardly worth the aggravation I had to put up with and the "oh-well" attitude I felt from our server and the 'manager'. I hope this location is an anomaly because, as I stated in the beginning, the beer was awesome.

Extremely

There are newer reviews for The Shipyard Emporium

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

We started out odd placed on a back corner...joked with the hostess and my husband that they placed us in the back since we are old (late 40s). The hostess was clueless....we moved ourselves to bar area. The service was very good and friendly. Food was good.. I got the trio of sausages (excellent). My husband opted for the meatball sandwich that was to be served on hallow out baget (was not as described). Overall good.. Cool thing is the chef came out and asked if everything was good. That is very nice and we will visit again.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were really looking forward to our lunch at Shipyard, but were disappointed. The food was ok. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good. I had a sandwich and the bread was stale. My husband enjoyed the beer and said he would go back for the beer, but I probably won't go back for the food.

1  Thank winemyst
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a popular restaurant with the hoity toity crowd of Winter Park. The beer is expensive and so is the skimpy food. Give me the real world flavor of the Copper Rocket in Maitland where the variety of beer is good and the prices allow you to have more than one.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My son and his wife introduced us to the Shipyard through a Father's Day gift card to my husband. I've returned a number of times with him and with visiting friends, and on each visit I find more to like on the menu and beyond.
I enjoy the modern but casual atmosphere, the really wonderful beers that I enjoy tasting with the "flights" of four, the lobster rolls, (which you can only truly appreciate if you've had one in Maine), the Shipyard clam chowder, Shipyard pot roast sandwich and unusual and wonderful flat breads. So far everything has been great, including some special side dishes.
An extra treat is the unexpected Artisan breads made on site. I usually take a couple loaves home with me. And when it's available on draft, I like to order "Knightro" beer, created to honor the nearby University of Central Florida.
An unusual decoration is the beer mugs hanging from above the bar area. If you join the Mug Club you will have your own mug and other benefits during the year.
Being next door to Rollins College it's a lively venue with mixed age groups.