Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Yuk”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Room carpet filthy. Mold in bath tub caulked over. Connecting room doors covered in mold. If it is newly renovated I couldn't tell. The only new thing in the room seemed to be bed spreads. Disgusting!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SANDI W
skatseek, Public Relations Manager at Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We regret you found your room so unsatisfactory. We have installed a 3 prong room check to try to prevent this from happening. The room is cleaned, inspected, and re-inspected upon guest check in. It is to our responsibility if we allow a room to slip through the cracks. Please notify me if you are back in this area and let us try to earn back your business, kathy@winterhavensuites.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Booked through booking.com as part of a half off sale. Upon check in the woman at the desk said my credit card had already been charged. I went to my room and was awoken at 5AM by a Hispanic gentleman letting me know I had to call the front desk. Upon calling the front desk I was told that my card was not previously charged and they needed me to pay in cash. I went in the lobby and just paid, when I asked for a refund I was instead offered a later checkout. Returning to my room i was once again awoken to another knock on the door from maids telling me checkout time was 11. I had to explain the situation to them, and from then on I was awoken by different staff every hour on the hour until my wife and I just got sick of it and checked out. I'd really just like a refund.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank nitrogentsrh
skatseek, Guest Relations Manager at Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
As a hospitality company we strive to meet our client's needs. In this instance we failed and the situation will be corrected. This hotel is under new ownership and management. Renovations, repairs and overhauling of all rooms is in progress. The description tells me this room is on the side of the wing that has not yet been started on. As were most hotels in this area, the weekend mentioned (actually most of the month) we have been running at near capacity. Due to the late check in time our normal procedure of preparing a room- turning on lights and doing a general check over before escorting the client in- were circumvented. Otherwise the Room Agent would have recognized the situation and another room would have been assigned. A call to the Front Desk would also instigate a room adjustment. We regret this slip up, and look forward to the day that all of our room accommodations will be brought up to the standards that we are working hard toward. We hope you give us a second chance to better your view of our property.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We drove 8 hours and arrived after 10pm. We walked in the room and non of the lights worked (They had been unplugged from the wall sockets) and there was distinctively LOUD hum coming from the bathroom. We were exhausted so we thought we could bear it and kept the bath door closed. It never ended throughout the entire night without stopping. Then the new new noise started as the smoke detector kept beeping, assuming the battery was low and needed changing.
The towels and the bath rug were "thin" and stained as was the room rug, gross.

In the morning there was a huge crack of light coming from under the door and something scurried out under it. Cold air was blowing in as well. Did I mention that the TV did not work except by turning the power on at the TV. Then the volume was so loud I had to turn it off immediately. TH\here were no other controls to adjust the volume or the channel. The remote did not work although the lights indicated there was power.

Internet access was unavailable from the hotel as well although they claim to have.

My room faced the Howard Johnson's Hotel next door and I went over to see their condition. For the same OR better price I would whole-heartedly recommend that facility over Winter Haven Suites for the money and the location. We cancelled our remaining 4 nights prior t arriving because of a change in our schedule, but was happy to had stayed only one night. I will be asking for a refund at check out today.

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel. If you are traveling with children or your wife, they will thank you f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeff M
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel. Normal I do not post reviews but in this case when blood is on the sheets and mold is the room I felt that for the good of other travelers I will. Bugs running around as soon as you turn on the lights at night.
This is a very run down place look elsewhere.
The management is very arrogant as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MrGreen4441
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the worst hotel ever. CLC put us here for 8 nights. We get room service once after 5 days no clean towels management got mad when I asked for a clean one. The sheets pillows and towels are stained old and so not clean. No fridge or micro. There's mold in corners of sleeping area and in shower. Paint is peeling off walls and ceiling. Spider webs in all corners of room. Carpet is nasty. There was pubic hair on bath floor, tub and toilet. Room has fleas in it. But if you are traveling and have 5 large dogs like the guy in the room next to me you will love it. Until you try to sleep and dogs raise hell all day and night. No continental breakfast you have to buy food from the super great clean owners and their family in the diner. They won't give ya a clean towel or bed but they will cook ya food from a nasty kitchen.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Stevie37
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 2, 2013

WE Had a Great Stay with a friendly staff clean rooms great prices great location with all to see in area will stay again can't wait to see more improvements as this is a work in progress again the staff was super helpful and friendly

Room Tip: Great location central located
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ringolhill
skatseek, Director of Sales at Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. It's rare when a person has a good stay that they comment online and we do appreciate knowing we are heading in the right direct.
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Dont know where you think you have made improvements David.( Hotel management) Where do I start...... 1. girl at front desk had NO clue what she was doing,charged my credit card double,then had to figure out how to credit it, half hr later she finally figured it out. 2. Gave me a key to a room someone was already in. 3. NO chairs, tables or lounge chairs around pool! Room was dirty,smelled, didnt even take my shoes off. 4. No clean towels, but dirty, wet towels in tub!!!! 5. Phone didnt work. Beds were very hard and sounded like they were about to break. 6. No coffee maker, no iron, no plastic laundry bag. It was midnight and had little choice but to stay but checked out the next morning,we were to stay 2 nights. When we named all this they had nothing to say! No "Im sorry" or " Can we move you to another room?" They werent even going to credit the second night until they saw me start getting upset. They should have credited me for BOTH!!! Disgusting place. Dont know how they call themselves a motel. We travel with a softball team and most all checked out immediately. Never again!!!! This place should me shut down!!! One team mate had SPIDERS in his bed!!!!!! HEALTH HAZARD!!!

Room Tip: No Rooms at this motel are worth a dime!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rmheyman
skatseek, Director of Sales at Winter Haven Gardens Inn & Banquet Center, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Ms. Heyman, we are extremely sorry your stay with us was so unsatisfactory. Looking at the previous experience you had prior to arriving at our Hotel, it sounded like nothing was going right. The information you received is correct. New Owners and New Management have been making strides in improvements. We have a 235 hotel property. In the less than two month period, 130 rooms have been renovated. Extermination and cleaning crews have been stepped up to help bring us back to our hey day. We give room placement priority to our reservations. The night you checked in well after midnight as walk ins, we also had 12 other teams in house. As well as our individual check ins. Frankly, we were strapped. Prior to check ins we have initiated a practice of double checking the rooms. The call was not put through to our 24 hour on call maintenance to do so prior to your room assignment. The front desk said there was an air of urgency to get to the rooms. These are not excuses. Just putting into perspective that 'perfect storm.' Fact is, we are a hospitality industry striving to exceed expectations and your needs were not properly met. You have my personal apology for that and , if a future circumstance arises, I assure you all needs will be met.