“Not a bad stay”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Not a bad stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

We arrived Saturday night and had an easy check in and found our room easily. We didn't expect anything "flashy" and got what we paid for. The rooms were clean and spacious. The beds were soft and the sheets/blankets were clean. The carpets were worn but looked clean. We didn't have any problems with the room or hotel staff. Every one we came into contact with was very friendly. Our only complains would be a little bigger breakfast in the morning and use of the pool until about 10p. It would be nice if they would reopen the mini-golf. The grounds were kept up so how much harder would it be to rent the balls and clubs or do a charge to room, if they are not returned. We will stay again next time we are down that way again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank nardomack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was a one night stay that was so bad that I had to bring my own sheets for the room. The management was imposssible. They double charged my American express card for one dog deposit x2. I found the only clean area was outside the room. I asked to be moved into a madeup...clean room...they stated that was all they had. I am amazed that this plkace can remain open when they are this dirty and lacking of Motel-Hotel skills. I have been in only one hotel worse than this one and that was in the jungles of Peru.
Please avoid the mistake that I am Paying $1340 plus tax for....a night of anguish & bugs.

Room Tip: Go tyo another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Racine, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Lobby was nice but hallway carpets very dirty. Beds were new and comfortable. The pool area needs much attention along with the pool furniture. While there my computer was hacked and emails went out to all of my contacts...I'm guessing firewall was not very good. Staff was pleasant. We used to stay in HJ's years ago and were looking for good price but never again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cyndy E
calumet city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

This hotel is one to stay away from because of all the roaches and bugs...they crawl all over the bed and since we have been home, we have found that we now have bed bugs...I have had to dump a $900 lazy boy chair and the mattress is next....they graciously said they would send us $75 for our inconvenience, but as you can see, this doesn't even cover the cost I have been out....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carole s
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Staff was very helpful.If you neeeded anything they would get it. Beds were hard. But for the price it was a nice place.Pool was not open. And check in time is 3pm. check out is 11am. I got there at 8am and was told I was lucky my room was ready, if it had been busy I would have to waited to get my room at 3pm.

Room Tip: Don't forget check in is 3pm.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DanMac1955
New Smyrna Beach, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I had read all of the bad reviews and was a little worried about this hotel. Thankfully, when I arrived, I was greeted with a very polite front desk clerk. Our room was larger than expected with a refrigerator and microwave. We had an oversized king bed and loveseat. My daughter and I were staying for the softball tournament so price was more important than luxury. This was a good experience, overall. The staff was super nice!

If I had to give any concerns it would be this: I wish they had more healthy alternatives to the breakfast buffet like whole grain muffins more fresh fruit other than bananas. Then again...it is free!

Second: The pool was a little shabby on the deck area. The pool itself was clean and the kids had a blast but there were no lights at night. It was hard to watch all the girls in the pool...bordering on dangerous. You couldn't see the bottom in the dark. Also the decking needs repair with an open hole right at the top of the steps.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Jackson, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

My friend and I stayed for a week over our spring break, we were down there for a college baseball tournament. Walking distance to all the restaurants, a little out of the way though. Is a lot cleaner and less sketchy than the hotel next door! The pool wasn't heated, and for being the first week in march it was a little chilly, the putt putt was closed down and it wasn't that nice of a view to look at. I kept my shoes on when we were in the room because the carpet was dirty looking, the dressers were clean and new looking. The bathroom had what looked like a new tub, toilet and sink along with fixtures and tile.
The safe didn't work, the guy looked at it 2-3 times and it still didn't lock. The staff was all very helpful, we were looking for a bike rental and the woman working the desk called around for us. They were always more than happy to help us with anything, we only had one issue when the woman working the night shift told us we weren't allowed to have company, but no one else minded. I do believe the people who work there live there, because we saw and heard them going in and out of the same 2 rooms all the time.
Although it is a non-smoking hotel it smelled like smoke. There was an ajointing bar that was nice, we went there a lot to play pool since the weather wasn't that nice.
Overall, for being my first time going on vacation with out my parents it was decent, the room had vaulted ceilings (2nd floor rooms) very spacious room, and a patio. It does need to be updated a little as far as the carpet throughout the whole hotel, and maybe a new sliding door and curtains. I would stay again, only because it was a convenient location for the reason we were down there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends