“When you want good Mexican food..”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Olivo Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 214 Restaurants in Winter Haven
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Find another restaurant. The waitress was very sweet, though service was slow-( it was a Friday night, and it was pretty full ) We could have dealt with the slow service, but the food was just terrible. The chips had been fried in old oil, and so was the chimichanga that my husband ordered. Everything was bland, and had been cooked without spices. The portions were very small, even from the "large serving" menu, and very expensive.The rice and beans had all been microwaved and tasted like it. The lights outside do not work, so you're eating in the dark. It's truly a shame, as it's in a good location, and we live in WH- but we could have stayed home and had a better meal with an Old El Paso kit.

1  Thank kmerrihew

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a convenient place in downtown Winter Haven for my wife and I to meet up for lunch. We've met here many times through the years. There is parallel parking along both sides of Central Ave., or a paved parking lot just East of El Olivo - with some nicely shaded spots under the trees.
There are small tables for 2, or larger tables for 4. And the waitress will pull several tables together if needed for larger groups.
We like that they serve both sweet and unsweet iced tea, and that they have fresh-cut lime.
The food here reminds me of a McDonalds. Not great, but not bad. Somewhat bland, so as to not offend anyone. Just OK.
The building is old, but clean inside and out. The waitress here has good manners and a quick smile for customers.
The food portion size seems big and plenty, at least for lunch.
Yes, my wife & I will continue to meet her for many more years (hopefully).

1  Thank dvltrucking
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I went about a year ago and remember it being great. Don't know what has happened since then, but we will never go back. We were the only ones there on a Saturday around 1. Should have been a clue I guess. We both ordered fajitas. Free chips and salsa were ok. Chips were too hard and thick. When food came out, my husband and I literally at the same time looked at each other as she sat the food down in front of us. We had to literally dig through the grilled onions and peppers to find the meat! I have never ordered fajitas as a dinner portion and receive only 2 tortillas. We didn't have enough meat to consider it two each if you ask me. I could also tell by the looks of my beans and rice they had been nuked in the microwave. The beans were crusty on top and dried bubbles from being over nuked around the edges. $40.00 wasted. Such a shame cause restaurant is in a great location and love the look.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

The chips and salsa were not good to me. The salsa is warm, almost like stewed tomatoes and maybe even a little greasy. I like cool fresh salsa. The chips were thick and hard. I like thin and crispy. The portion was tiny as well. The rice and beans were good. My main item was two beef tacos and they were not really any better than taco bell. I ordered from the smaller appetite menu and the portion was perfect, but about $1.25 more than it should be. I had water to drink and it was good. My wife and I spent (tip not included) $17.79 on two small portion meals and one soda. My wife had two enchiladas and really enjoyed them. The restaraunt looks nice and clean. I do not have any intentions of returning.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I had my eye on this restauraunt for a while and decided to go check it out. I was very dissappointed. The m a i t r e d' is a beautiful woman. The food was very greasy and i couldn't eat it.