“I really like it here!”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Girard,OH
“I really like it here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

I go to Winter Haven Florida every March for Spring Training Baseball. I found the Ranch House one year when I was in Florida and have stayed there ever since. I have been going there for about 5-6 years and really enjoy it. Its clean and has very friendly people.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cowser1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Jacksonville, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

Was bringing a pre-teen girls softball team to the area for a large tournament. The website looked nice. Called about a month before our tournament and was told that they had some work crews staying there for an extended stay, but they would try to fill our request for 10-12 rooms, and to check back with them a week prior to our event. Couldn't wait that long, so they said call them back in 3 days. Told us they could accomodate our request; we specifically asked about the pool and were told it was operational. We requested all rooms to be non-smoking and with double beds. They were given a listing of all families and they faxed back a room assignment list. When our families called to make the reservations, some were told that all they had were smoking rooms. Others were given the non-smoking as requested. They said they would try to switch us around after everyone was checked in. Thank goodness one family arrived in the afternoon before everyone else was to arrive that night. The webpage pictures were NOT representative of the facility and the pool was locked. The desk clerk was rude and told them they must pay in full in advance for all days of the stay. This was never mentioned before. The clerk pulled a sign from under the desk referring to the pre-payment. Our representative said we didn't have an issue with paying, but only for the days we stayed, and what if the event got rained out, cut short, etc. The clerk pulled out another sign stating No Refunds! Our rep asked to see a room prior to checking in and was shown one in which the molding was falling down and the bathroom was not clean. He did not feel comfortable allowing his family to stay there. Our parents elected to go elsewhere even though we had to pay a much higher rate. I guess you do get what you pay for. The owner was notified that we were cancelling all of our reservations. A few days later, several of our families reported attempts by this hotel to bill their credit card. My card received 14 attempted billings in one day alone. I absolutely WOULD NOT recommend the Ranch House due to their deceptiveness and the quality of the facility.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank Jaxray10
, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2005
The Ranch House is a nice family motel. We have many team organizations come and stay with us. We have never had any problems in the past with making our guests feel at home. During the time of Jun 05 we had a softball team stay with us that is affiliatied with one of the many organizations that we provide rooms for. This team was told about our company policies prior to their arrival. We do have certain rules that protect our company such as: 48 Hour cancellation policy (1 week for groups of 10 rooms or more), pre pay at check in, and no refunds for early departures. This team did not follow our guide lines and did not give us a chance to try to make them more comfortable. We only had one of the families show up to our property and they told the others not to come. The rooms here at the Ranch House are not 5 star rooms but we do have clean rooms with nice bedding and appliances. Our motel had been damaged due to Hurricane Charlie from 2004. We had been working on getting our propery back to it's best shape but it had taken longer than expected, on account of waiting for our insurance to cover damages.
We offer non smoking rooms and smoking rooms. The team from Jun of 05 had been informed that we had the amount of rooms needed for their group but they were not all non smoking. The person who reserved the rooms for the team confirmed that it would be ok because they needed the rooms anyway. If the other families would have showed up to the property they would have been comfortable here. They should have not went by just one person because they were incorrect in there asumptions about our facility. Normally when we have teams stay with us we do require them to pay all of their stay up front and if they need to leave early we can not, as a business, be responsible for them losing a tournament and cutting there stay. When we take a reservation we have to know the amount of days so that we can hold those rooms and we can't just cut the time on them after holding them for more than a month. The customer who stated that we charged her credit card 14 times was incorrect we DID NOT charge her 14 times we did charge her a one time fee for one day becuase they bretched the cancellation policy. Also we verified with Bank of America, our merchant service provider, that there was no credit card in Jun of 05 that was charged dupilcate times. We still have not recieved any proof from this customer for the credit card transactions. We feel that this customer has slandered our business due to providing inaccurate information on the web. This customer should have gave us a chance to help instead of calling and cancelling on the day of, just because of hearsay. This team put a damper on this day because we lost a lot of other guests that we had to turn down because of these reservations. Since the month of Jun 05 we have rented to many teams all over the state that are with the different organizatins and we have not had any complaints.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2005

We called days before and asked about a room for three. We were told we'd have two beds and a pull out sofa. We booked for two nights and arrived late at night after driving 5 hours. We got into the room, went to pull out the sofa and found food, hair and dirty sheets. When we called down for fresh linens, we were told that they don't consider their sofa pullouts as beds. Finally they brought up an old pillow, a 'clean' sheet, and an old bedspread. The two single beds were rock hard, and probably pre-dated world war 2. The bedroom didn't even have a clock radio. At 9 am the next morning, I tried to check out. I was told that despite the hotel being sold out, I had booked for two nights and would have to pay for them. The front desk was manned by a clueless teenage girl. I asked to speak to the manager, who refused to come out and speak to me. He sent the teenage girl, who was crying, back out front to tell me I would have to pay for the room. Shortly after and back at the room, the same girl knocked on the door and wanted to clean it. She assumed we were leaving, and was going to rent it out again - despite the fact I was being billed for it. A person we met at our event offered us their floor to sleep, and we took it. I felt deceived, ripped off, and unclean for having to sleep there.

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2005
We can not give early departures on a person who stays in out hotel for 3 days and then decides that the room is not what they expected. This customer had been unpleasant about the whole situation. I was the front desk clerk on the day that they wanted to leave and I only went back over what they had already knew at check in about no refunds on early departures. The signs are clearly posted on the counter top and on the bottom of the check in sheet in which this customer signed. The customer made me cry because of their language and content in our conversation. Once they stormed out of my office I had went to there room to see if they had left the keys because they told me they were leaving and did not turn in the keys. When I got to the room they yelled at me because they thought that I was going to clean the room and rent it out again. That was their assumption but that was not my intention at all.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2004

We were very pleased with all services provided. The owners were very helpful. The rooms were clean. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We have been staying at Ranch House for four years and plan to return.

• Stayed February 2005