“Horrible”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Blairsville, Georgia
“Horrible”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

What can I say that hasn't been said already? We checked in at 11:18pm after an 11 hour car trip. The room smelled like cat urine and was old and dilapidated. My husband went immediately to take a shower while I unloaded the car. The shower was filthy and broken, and had absolutely no force. As soon as I unloaded the car, I sat down on the bed. It was hard, and the springs poked through. We were absolutely exhausted though, and decided to just go to sleep. Pulling the sheets down we discovered not only that the sheets were dirty and mismatched, but there was a bug (not a roach) GOD ONLY KNOWS what it was!! I called the office. No reply. I walked down there and was told that they did not give refunds for any reason. They did offer me another room, however. I didn't want to stay, but didn't want to go through the hassle because of how late it was. I got the key and walked into it and was immediately over come by the scent of wet dog. Evidently, this room was the dog room, as there was no carpet. The beds were a little softer but not any cleaner, and the shower broken and leaking water. The third room we went to look at was of the same. Standing water in the shower about 3 inches. I just checked out and we finally got to bed about 2:30 in a nice clean motel. I wouldn't ever, ever stay there again. I tried to get my money back but to no avail.

Room Tip: There is no good room at this place.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Earthangell11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 2, 2012

New carpet, very clean a little dated but they are working on that. The staff bend over backwards to help.
Boy I forgot her name at the desk..long blondish hair ?Kim? amazing! She would do any thing to help our family. She was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Bad: Very dirty, roaches, hair clots in shower, stains on sheets, grubby towels, filthy carpets, worn-out chairs.
Hilarious: Dated decor that made us smile and shake our heads.
Frustrating: Ill-equipped / inconsistantly-equipped kitchens -- 3 forks, a teaspoon, nine knives, a saucepan in one room, three deep bowls, eight plates, no silverware in another? Not to mention only 1 room out of 3 had a phone. Just weird. And only 2 free breakfasts per room despite some suites accommodating up to 4. The worst: Their policy is that all rooms are pre-paid. We were told a friend checking in earlier than us had to wait in the IHOP, despite their having our credit card on file! Managed to get an exception to that, however.
Nice: Staff were accommodating and did their best. IHOP. Very close to Legoland, lots of different restaurants, grocery stores, a Super Wal-Mart, churches with open services.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Smiling faces can't make up for dirty rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bebemochi

Travelers are raving about these Winter Haven hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Ok first I would like to say, I was very impressed with the Ranch House. We stayed the 2nd weekend in June after the kids got out of school, we had plans to go to Legoland. I seen the reviews and to be quite honest I was skeptical about staying there but I could not get a room anywhere else so yes it was a last minute decision and I was totally satisfied. The staff was very helpful and friendly, I ask if I may see the room first and she was very polite and showed me room 126, I was almost ready to panic (because of a review I seen in reference to this room), but to my surprise the room was very clean had a very pleasant smell, I then ask if I could check the mattress she said that would be find, granted it wasnt the best one but it was not the worse I have seen either, I did not see any bedbugs or evidence of there ever being any, we took the room and stayed there 3 nights. Our beds were made each morning and fresh clean towels given daily. Yes it is an older hotel but I didnt find any of the things bad about it. Legoland was only 1 mile from the motel so the 1st day we took a city bus to save on parking. The pool was perfect and the IHOP free breakfast a real treat. Thanks to the staff for making our trip a pleasant one. I dont know if they are under new management or ownership but it was not what I anticipated, Nice place to stay

Room Tip: Ask to see the room prior to paying. Do not believe all the negative reviews, see for yourself, my t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This place has BEDBUGS, at least room 126 does. how much nastier can it get than that. I am not just saying that because I was itchy all night but I saw them with my own eyes right before I checked out, I never knew what bedbugs were until I saw two little ones on the sheets and when I googled it, it turns out they are called nymph bed bugs. I WOULD GIVE IT A 0 IF I COULD IN RATING. I would pay 500 dollars a night to stay in a better hotel then this one. I would never ever recommend or stay here again. I am not picky either I have stayed in much nicer inexpensive hotels plenty of times, but bed bugs are unnaceptable.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank a v
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This place was nasty dirty and had roaches they didnt want to even refund our money becuase we refused to stay there i would rather sleep in my car

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank nobody09
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com. I travel frequently and booked over 120 nights last year. I am fairly tolerant of hotel rooms and those who manage them, but this was the WORST place I have ever seen in my life. The nightmare started in the dingy, grimy, cluttered rental office. I was greeted by a slovenly rental agent lounging and smoking outside the door. After checking for my reservation, she handed me a dirty key (the old fashioned kind) and I went to my room. While I was checking in, two other employees came in to start their shift. One had a huge dog that wandered around the office. When I got to the room, there was one porch light about 30 feet away. I opened the door (which by the way swung outwards). The first thing I saw was a huge stain about five feet long and two feet wide on the carpet.. The stench was sickening. The lighting was poor. The windows were covered with vertical blinds which did not come together and had cigarette burns on them.The beds looked like someone had recently slept in them and just pulled the blankets back up when they left. I pulled the bedspread down and picked up one of the pillows. It smelled like BO and was dingy and disgusting. I know it had not been washed. There was no way I could stay there. I called Hotels.com and told them the situation. They called the office to cancel the reservation and the girl with the big dog said she was not authorized to cancel the first night, but I got the 2nd night cancelled. I went to another hotel, found a cheaper rate actually, and spent next hour shuddering at what had just seen and smelled. I am writing to hotels.com imploring them to take this hotel off their list. I thought I had seen the worst till now. I can still smell that horrible pillow even as I type this and the very image makes me want to retch. Anybody who runs a hotel like this deserves go out of business. I noticed a few positive reviews here and am shaking my head in disbelief. These positive reviewers are either shills for the hotel or are deaf, dumb, blind and are devoid of all olfactory sensation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business