“Perfect Getaway!!!”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
St. Petersburg
“Perfect Getaway!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I came with my family for a spring training game and just a weekend away from the city -- it was perfect!! My wife and daughter had a great time on our boat, while my son and I went to the game. The owners were extremely friendly and treated us like we were their only guests (although the place was comfortably full!). I couldn't recommend a place higher if you are looking for great views, brand new clean rooms, and a great staff! Thanks again!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
jacksonville, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

Just got back this evening from our weekend stay at Lk Roy Bch Inn and was EXTREMELY pleased! 2 families fit comfortably in the 2-story townhouse overlooking the pool. It appears the hotel is undergoing renovation and we were surprised with the condition of our unit. The website MUST be updated as their pictures don't do it any justice--- Brand new tile, brand new kitchen, clean and comfortable, as we were lucky enough to get one of the renovated rooms. I'll take this over a traditional hotel room if you have time to relax and enjoy the amenities such as the pool, beach volleyball, small beach (great for children!), fishing and more.
It is on the main road which was extremely busy but it quickly became background noise when we enjoyed comfortable evenings on the screened porch.
We'll definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Winter Haven and there are vacancies!

• Liked — The unit was brand new and CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Not accomodating for a request to have friends for a cookout at the hotel UNLESS we paid additional amount. I thought it would be a great opportunity for other families to see the hotel and its amenities and get out of the Holiday Inn!
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

As soon as I pulled up to this family owned hotel, I was greeted by the owner with open arms. The owners were having a bbq for a family reunion and were generous enough to invite me and my family to join them where we had a prime rib feast! The rooms were amazing with the most spectacular views. The owners took the extra step everyday to make sure that our stay was the best possible. You could tell right off the bat that the owners were experts in hospitality. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I highly recommend this place and will def. be back to visit my new friends!

• Liked — The owners were unbelievably nice and made me feel like I was a friend visiting rather than a normal customer!
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

The Lake Roy Beach Inn has nothing to hide. It is what it is. It is an older hotel that is dated. It doesn't have central air, it doesn't have a concierge, it doesn't have plush furniture. What it does offer is a clean comfortable room in a great beach type setting on the shores of Lake Roy, which is part of the Chain-O-Lakes in Winter Haven. It does offer maid service and owners that attended to our every need, and even playfully arranged our daughters stuffed animals on her bed each day. Our unit had, as the others appeared to have, a nice porch/patio with tables and chairs to enjoy the setting sun. We arranged our stay with some caution due to some of the reviews on here, the negative reviews clearly must have been written by the upper crust folks who wondered where the bell hop was. The property is older, yes, but clean, and seems to be going through some upgrades. What more do we really ask for from a hotel other than a clean comfortable place to stay. Even the Waldorf is dark when you close your eyes. We would highly recommend The Lake Roy Beach Inn to anyone that is looking for what is it. Enjoy your stay and try to keep the volleyball out of the lake!

Sugar Land, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

While this is not a fancy hotel, the accommodations are adequate, the rooms are clean, and the response for requested repairs was VERY good. We had two issues that needed to be addressed -- burned out light bulbs above the vanity that occurred upon our arrival and a broken screen door -- and both were fixed within minutes of reporting the problem to the office.

There was a "water ski show" outside our screened-in porch all day long. At least on the weekend that we stayed at this hotel, it was loaded with very accomplished water skiers. (Lake Roy is large enough for skiing, and this hotel has its own boat ramp.) We really enjoyed watching the show.

My two favorite features of this hotel was the screened-in third floor porch/seating area and the fact that Susan Yung, the lodge director, is an avid gardener. When I told her how much I enjoyed her flowerbeds, she even gave me some cuttings for my own garden!

• Liked — The screened-in porch and the gardens
  • Disliked — The Internet service was spotty at best
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Rocky River, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

If you have reason to be in Winter Haven and are looking for a "different" lodging experience, I can recommend the Lake Roy Beach Inn. Location is great-lakeside with a small sandy beach and an opportunity to go boating, if that is your thing. The suites face the lake, with a screened in porch in which it is quite pleasant to enjoy your morning coffee. The grounds are well tended and show obvious care. I wish I could say the same about the rooms. First of all, they are clean. They are spacious( at least the suites are) . However, all furnishings are extremely dated and worn. Somewhat depressing upon arrival. If these rooms were upgraded, it would sure be a more appealing property. The owner operator is friendly and helpful and there is wireless internet free in the rooms. While I personally may have rated this a 4 star experience, I have to take into consideration the feelings of my family, who probably would rate this a 2 star property at best. Believe me though, it is clean( always most important in my book) and you will enjoy yourself here, just don't expect luxurious rooms.

• Liked — Location,relaxed ambiance,large suites
  • Disliked — Worn, dated decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank RML-OH
Boating1962
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

I've read the other user reviews and don't quite agree with them at all! Sounded pretty bad but our stay last weekend was not so at all! We unexpectedly stayed and loved it! My wife and I visited Cypress Gardens and wanted to utilize the 2nd day of the pass so drove down the street and stopped at the Lake Roy because of the beautiful landscaping! We travel all over the place and have stayed in the best of the best hotels and the charming/personable "family-operated" inns. The Lake Roy we consider is a great "family-operated" inn! We had a delightful stay and relaxed on the pool deck overlooking a wonderful lake. There were boating families there during the weekend we stayed and the neatest thing was one of the families there invited us over to join their bbq! The owners were very friendly and accommodating. The room that was provided to us was clean and nicely furnished; we stayed outside most of the time though because the surroundings were very beautiful and relaxing! You could tell the owners of the place truly put their personal touches throughout the inn. I own a boat and have decided to bring it down for another weekend stay. I haven't been out on the lake yet on my own boat, as the wife and I, did not bring a boat this time around because of the Cypress Gardens trip. However, the people bbq-ing there had a boat and were gracious enough to give us a boat ride around the lake and to another lake. Apparently, the lake in front of the Lake Roy is actually connected to a chain of other lakes. So the wife and I and the kids/grandkids are booking a stay in the next weekend - boat included! For the price, we felt it was well worth it, especially for a family. Instead of a basic room and parking lots offered by other places, you get a basic room here (it isn't the Hyatt) however the amenities and the boating and lake/sand area beats just parking and being stuck inside a hotel room all day in the other places! Lovely time and will definitely be back.

• Liked — The outdoor amenities: the lake directly in front of our room, the nice landscaping, the screened-in porch that we could walk out to the beachy area
  • Disliked — Didn't expect Hyatt-hotel accommodations so if I could say what we liked least about the accommodations it would be the lack of an elevator
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple