“Decent Accomodations..a bit pricey”
Review of Lake Roy Beach Inn

Lake Roy Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Decent Accomodations..a bit pricey”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Excellent location, close to new Legoland Florida. Rooms are dated and kind of smelly, old window A/C kind of noisy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank magvel004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2012

It was the worst hotel I ever stayed at as far as quality, cleanliness, staff, service and value. The price was high since it was the weekend of the Ironman in town and we thought it had to be decent at that price range. It was a basically scary dirty place on the road that you wouldn't even pay 45 bucks to stay.
The staff was extremely rude and was hard to communicate with them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cham810
Lowell, Indiana
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I arrived late, about midnight, and left about 8AM and that was plenty of time to realize we'd made a mistake. The entry door was rusty and marked-up so right off the bat you are alerted to the overall feel of the place. The room was old and the furniture shabby which, in itself, would not really effect a persons "Physical" comfort. But our 'mental' comfort took a nosedive when we noticed the pubic hairs on the bathroom floor and the ancient assorted dirt in the corners of the baseboards.
The "breakfast" was pitiful: your choice of a dried out english muffin or a dried out bagel with a 3-compartment condiment tray with about 1 serving each of strawberry jelly, cream cheese and butter left in it...you had to wonder how may spoons had been licked and then re-dipped in that nasty looking tray. We had to ask for some butter and she went to an ancient-looking refrigerator and brought out the remains of a stick of margarine on a saucer that I wouldn't serve to my cat. There were 3 apples. Not even a banana. If there HAD been something safe to eat besides apple and coffee, there was a nice PLACE to eat: there were tables outside overllooking an attractive lake view.
In fact, we were tired and got a decent night's sleep and the price wasn't too bad for the area......but still, next time I would pay a little more and hope for a more pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joe G
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I had read all the reviews for hotels near Legoland. All of the best rated ones were unavailable when looking 4 weeks in advance. We settled on the Lake Roy, because of it's proximity to the park (it's 2 miles away). Upon driving up, it resembled the pictures already posted. Our room was fine (a one-bedroom); clean and tidy. It's just that the place needs an over haul to bring it up to a 'standard' baseline. Beds and service were fine.. The lake is peaceful. If you're not expecting too much (think a bit under par with Holiday Inn but not as basic as a Super8), this place does the job.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank LBCBero
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My daughter, her 2 young kids and I did Legoland having a hard time finding reasonably priced hotels close by, I was a bit apprehensive with the many very mixed reviews here.

Is it older? Yes. Do "some" areas need some updating/ upgrading? Yes.

But the room was clean the view terrific the rates good and the convenience of the mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker more than make up for the older furniture. I think that gives it a quaint boutique "bed N breakfast style" feeling anyway.

The hosts, I believe they may be independent owners, were warm, welcoming, helpful, and truly family oriented.
We had originally checked in for a Thursday / Friday night, but we got all came down with a stomach flu and could not leave even if we had wanted to. We decided to extend another day to enjoy our planned second day at legoland.
They gave us the same rate for Sat night-made tea and dry toast available at 5pm Friday and seemed truly concerned with our well being even offering some home remedy advise of ginger and honey.

It is obvious that this hotel is being upgraded, slowly and piece by piece walking past some of the larger suites it seemed they are well underway with many improvements. The pool was beautiful and large. This was probably a premier resort destination in it's heyday, I am confident it will be again.

As long as you are not expecting a brand new cookie cutter chain I think you will enjoy your stay. Is it the "Hilton" NO but to us it's a slice of heaven

Room Tip: lake view-bring charcoal for a beach BBQ
4 Thank Carol C
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed in 101, lake view "suite". Nothing too great about this place, I have stayed on roof tops in Istanbul that were more quiet than this place. For 155.00/night we got this....My bed frame was broken, the internet they advertise does not work, there also was a hair dryer in the room---must have been for decor as it did not work, i used a corkscrew i found in the kitchen to hold up the umbrella outside...oh yes and the main light in our room came on at night if the people up stairs turned on the hall light?? That was fun getting up at 2am to turn that off. I guess if you dont expect much, you will not be dissapointed. I could go on, but the thing that really ticked me off is ---we booked for 5 days and tried to check-out after 2 days and there are NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON. My advice...Holiday Inn or Hampton Suites...not too sure why all those other reviews give this place anything other than a poor..the only reason we even considered this place was because the other hotels were full.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
2 Thank airb0urne
Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2012

On our most recent spur-of-the-moment trip to Legoland, I was surprised to find that all of the chain hotels were fully booked, but we were determined to stay SOMEWHERE in the Winter Haven area, so I somewhat-nervously booked a 2-bedroom suite at the Lake Roy Beach Inn, having noticed it on our last trip down there. I read the reviews and saw that it actually had more favorable comments than the Holiday Inn Express where we originally planned to stay. I figured that since it was only one night, less than 18 hours total, we could certainly live with whatever surroundings we were faced with, and since there were NO reviews about bugs, dirtiness or rude staff like there were for the Best Western Park View, the only other hotel with a room available, I was praying we were off to a good start. :-)

After arriving and meeting the most kind and gracious owners, and being made to feel totally safe and secure as a mom travelling alone with three little boys, I was wishing we had come earlier in the day to really get our use out of this thoroughly charming little gem! The rooms are not of the Ritz-Carlton variety, but then again, that is not my cup of tea. I much prefer quaint, family-owned properties, so long as they are clean. :-) The rooms are indeed clean with brand-new kitchenette areas and brand-new bathrooms, so the areas that could have been really yucky were pristine and new. We also had TWO tv's, which thoroughly delighted my kids, prompting them to give the place "TEN STARS, Mom!!" The carpets and furniture are also new, and everything in the room was very, very clean! We had a spacious screened patio overlooking the pool, the lovely grounds and the lake, and we had the most beautiful sunset view! The heated pool was a treat for sure, and the lake, beach area, sand volleyball court and lush lawn provided very pleasant and relaxing surroundings. Every nook and cranny of the outdoor areas has been lovingly filled with the most beautiful potted plants and bubbling fountains, and it is evident that the owners are fully committed to making this place inviting and welcoming.

As with any older motel, there are things here and there on the exterior of the building that may need a bit of repair or scrubbing, but the grounds are so far superior to the boring and bland concrete of the nearby Holiday and Hampton Inns, that they make up for any shortfalls in other areas. True, there isn't a hairdryer or hotel stationery, the sheets aren't 300 thread-count and you can indeed hear the road noises at night (just leave the fan running and you can cancel that noise out) BUT you will not find caring and kind owners who take the time to talk and really show interest in their guests at a chain hotel...and that, for us, added up to a very lovely experience, and we can't wait to go back! :-)

1 Thank MicheleGreenWilliams