“NOT at Legoland!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Winter Haven
Chattanooga
“NOT at Legoland!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this hotel because when I called I specifically asked two different people if the hotel was next to Legoland and was told YES. I was visiting family in FL, they live in Garden Grove in Winter Haven so this would be the closest hotel to their home. The hotel is actually located in downtown Winter Haven, they have a shuttle to Legoland! The hotel overall is okay, it's very clean and the staff were all very nice and friendly. Unfortunately something they clean the carpet with or deoderizer or something did not mix well with me so I ended up with a bad headache and allergy type congestion and stuffiness. The beds in my room - yes I tried both of them - were extremely uncomfortable, the sheets were a little rough for me and the air conditioner was so loud I couldn't hear the TV. The TV had a guide that showed what channels were there but nothing that told what was on the channels so this was bothersome. I was booked into the hotel for 4 nights but checked out after the first night. They were very nice and refunded my money because with the allergy type symptoms I was having I was very stuffy. Ten minutes after leaving and being outside and in my car, I could breathe normal again. I also think this hotel is overpriced but that is just my opinion!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank SouthernGal820
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
First I want to say thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. I am VERY sorry you were misinformed about our Location. I don't like to have any of our guest given false information. I am glad to know that my staff took such great care of you. It is a shame that your allergies flared up from our cleaning products. I really would like to know what I could do to make you a haapy guest. That is and always will be my goal to make my guest happy!!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much! The staff is very experienced in the service they provide. Upon check in Veronica made us feel welcome and offered toprovide anything that we needed to make our stay comfortable. She is a sweet heart! Next stop was the cocktail bar for a drink before settling into our room for the evenening. Susan is a great lady!! She made us a couple of wonderful drinks and offered some friendly conversation. We will definately make a point to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank RoxanneVallee
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Legoland and I can sum up this hotel in a word: easy. The room was nice, w/ fridge and B+ furnishings. Bathroom C+. Comfortable beds; sometimes I take for granted bed size. These are queens, not double / full. But despite queen beds, the room had plenty of space. In the morning, we could grab breakfast quickly / easily and had a free, friendly shuttle to drop us off at Legoland (<5 min ride on new shuttle bus owned by Legoland w/ cold a/c and big comfy individual seats). Again, easy, easy.
> only 1 CON: FOOD at the onsite restaurant had huge range, from "B+" dinner (both the Quesadilla and the Shrimp Dinner) to "F" breakfast buffet (just awful, except for what we ended up taking "to go": coffee/tea, yogurt and packaged pastry / muffins). BUT it was a really slow time (<50% capacity) so maybe they were cutting costs and maybe breakfast is acceptable in peak summer.
>Also, hotel room cost was about $30-35 higher than I would have expected for comparable hotel (w/out regard to location). But, again, it is worth it if EASY is a priority (it was for us, w/ 2 well-loved, but high maintenance kids).

3 Thank uponrockytop
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is neat and clean and fairly basic. The rooms should go for about $75 a night (at the most) but they charge double that because they are located just a few miles from Legoland. There are few hotel choices if you want to be next to Legoland and this Holiday Inn certainly takes advantage of that. They give out kids eat free at the hotel coupons. We had breakfast here the first morning and it was pretty bad so we didn't go back the next day. There are only 2 elevators and 1 was out of service during our entire stay so there was a long wait in the mornings. Staff was friendly and housekeeping did a very good job. This is a no-smoking hotel which is a big plus in my book.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank x-well-traveled
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel, traveling from Miami, through Winter Haven, on our way to Legoland. We arrived around 8pm, check-in was easy. The kids received a small Lego pack each and we're really thrilled. It was a nice touch, that added to the excitement of visiting Legoland (especially for my 8yo son who is crazy about Lego, and more excited about Legoland, than Disneyworld!). Room was your standard Holiday Inn, met expectations in that regard. Good quality and everything you need. The main disappointment was the breakfast. We were given a kids eat free voucher on check-in, so were encouraged to eat in the hotel restaurant. The food quality was pretty poor. Knives, forks and cups were plastic! On the positive side it is about a 5 minute drive to Legoland, and there is a shuttle that seemed to go quite regularly. I would give this hotel 3.5/5.

1 Thank LizM26
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here again. From Friday 9/12 - Sun 9/16. The rooms were very clean and the hotel is really nice. We were very disappointed with the breakfast. Last time it was good, this time it was unedible. The food was cold, the sausage tasted like plastic and the fruit was still frozen!!!
We told the waitress we wanted to speak to the restaurant manager. She came out we told her the food was terrible and her response was; " I'm sorry ". To me that is an unacceptable response. I know we are not at a 5 star but we paid for a meal and it would be nice if we could have eaten it. We left our food. We went to Ihop and eat there.
I have written a very good review for the hotel but I would consider staying else where in the area because of the attitude of the restaurant. With family in this area we will be going back and I will try to find another hotel that values our business. 'I'm sorry' is not what you say to a customer to win their business. Very disappointed!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joe P
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Good Afternoon,
First let me say thank you very much for your feedback. Good or bad I want to know so I can correct anything that needs fixed or praise my staff for thier hard work. I can't tell you how sorry I am for the service and the food you received, both are unacceptable and will be addressed. I would love the chance to show you we do value our guest and we really do put out a nice breakfast. Please contact me directly on your next stay here in Winter Haven so I can have the chance to extend an apology in person and make this right.
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked this hotel through the "Family & Friends" program that the Holiday Inn participates in. It was my 5th stay at a Holiday Inn using this program. When my grandchildren and I arrived at 8:15 pm, after a two hour drive, we checked in and then asked about towels for the pool. Kids wanted to take a quick swim before bed. We were told by the front desk that she was closing the pool in 10 minutes. Said it was getting dark and would be dangerous. Kids were super disappointed.The two families ahead of us in check-in received Lego gifts. When I asked the desk clerk about the gifts she said "Those are for special bookings". Next day came down for breakfast. I was charged for the kids breakfast. Was told I needed coupons in order to have a free breakfast. The kids placemat/menu states Kids Eat Free when accompanied by an adult who is registered in the hotel and orders an entree. I was never given the option to purchase coupons or perhaps the "special booking" package. The hotel was clean, had a free shuttle to LegoLand. The A/C was so loud we turned it off, very stuffy in the room. Wireless internet did not work in our room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris H
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of our hotel. I am glad that you liked our location. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Our apologies, it sounds like we fell below your expectations on this day. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance in the future to host you again.

Pam G.
Shergill Grand Hotel Conference Center Resort
Americas Best Value Inn Winter Haven
Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven
Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven

Been to Holiday Inn Winter Haven? Share your experiences!