“Still a great stay for the money; BUT.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Winter Haven

Holiday Inn Winter Haven
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Winter Haven
Miami, Florida
“Still a great stay for the money; BUT.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here again. From Friday 9/12 - Sun 9/16. The rooms were very clean and the hotel is really nice. We were very disappointed with the breakfast. Last time it was good, this time it was unedible. The food was cold, the sausage tasted like plastic and the fruit was still frozen!!!
We told the waitress we wanted to speak to the restaurant manager. She came out we told her the food was terrible and her response was; " I'm sorry ". To me that is an unacceptable response. I know we are not at a 5 star but we paid for a meal and it would be nice if we could have eaten it. We left our food. We went to Ihop and eat there.
I have written a very good review for the hotel but I would consider staying else where in the area because of the attitude of the restaurant. With family in this area we will be going back and I will try to find another hotel that values our business. 'I'm sorry' is not what you say to a customer to win their business. Very disappointed!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Joe P
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Good Afternoon,
First let me say thank you very much for your feedback. Good or bad I want to know so I can correct anything that needs fixed or praise my staff for thier hard work. I can't tell you how sorry I am for the service and the food you received, both are unacceptable and will be addressed. I would love the chance to show you we do value our guest and we really do put out a nice breakfast. Please contact me directly on your next stay here in Winter Haven so I can have the chance to extend an apology in person and make this right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I booked this hotel through the "Family & Friends" program that the Holiday Inn participates in. It was my 5th stay at a Holiday Inn using this program. When my grandchildren and I arrived at 8:15 pm, after a two hour drive, we checked in and then asked about towels for the pool. Kids wanted to take a quick swim before bed. We were told by the front desk that she was closing the pool in 10 minutes. Said it was getting dark and would be dangerous. Kids were super disappointed.The two families ahead of us in check-in received Lego gifts. When I asked the desk clerk about the gifts she said "Those are for special bookings". Next day came down for breakfast. I was charged for the kids breakfast. Was told I needed coupons in order to have a free breakfast. The kids placemat/menu states Kids Eat Free when accompanied by an adult who is registered in the hotel and orders an entree. I was never given the option to purchase coupons or perhaps the "special booking" package. The hotel was clean, had a free shuttle to LegoLand. The A/C was so loud we turned it off, very stuffy in the room. Wireless internet did not work in our room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Chris H
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of our hotel. I am glad that you liked our location. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. Our apologies, it sounds like we fell below your expectations on this day. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance in the future to host you again.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was a good value hotel near legoland but had the noisiest A/C that has ever been made! It went on and off all night - and if you were a light sleeper you wouldn't get a minutes sleep. Everything else was just fine with the hotel so I will still give it 4 star - and because we were only there one night we weren't going to ask for another room. It was in Level 2 but can't remember the number now ... but when you first spend some time in your room do keep and ear out for the A/c - and if it is noisy make sure you shift rooms - I am sure they would be obliging because they seemed very nice.
The breakfast was very basic but it was really cheap and all you need for a quick breakfast. and the kids ate free.
We didn;t have dinner at the resturant because there was the outback steak house at the front of the hotel and it was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Kerry553
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were really happy with our very clean room. I won't even stay at a hotel unless it meets certain standards and this holiday inn gets an A t. No complaints at all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Snorkelfun5
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

There are 2 holiday Inns close to Legoland. This one was $50.00 cheaper a night and almost the same distance! It was a 5 min drive and was not in the "clustered" area where the other was. There were plenty of resturants within a 1/2 mile and also a mall!! There is a Kohl's 20 feet away!

The staff at this hotel was amazing! From check-in to the next mornings free breakfast, they were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was not continental! It was full-on!! Pancakes, biscuits & gravy, danishes, french toast and so on.
The rooms were equally amazing. Great TVs, super comfy beds, beautiful bathrooms & clen, clean, clean.
Little extras- free freshly popped popcorn in the evening, and a great selection of dvd movies to rent-for free-to see in your room. Pool was perfect.

I would live here! We had 4 rooms in total-all were exactly the same-perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank carly v
White Oak, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

As with all Holiday Inns, this room was a bit pricier than other hotels in the area. However, the room was large, comfortable, and super clean. We were visiting a sick family member in town, and I slept in the room for a few hours during the day. Staff was courteous and didn't bother me, and the black out blinds provided adequate darkness so I could rest. The beds were made up with super-soft, high-quality sheets--something I've come to associate with Holiday Inns. The bathroom was very clean, the only glitch being some maintenance being performed on the water system around 11am one morning, interrupting my shower. The staff promptly corrected the issue. Plenty of big, fluffy towels, no issues getting more when we took the kids for a dip in the well-maintained pool.

The only downfall to this facility was the breakfast. It was expensive and definitely not worth the money.

We would definitely stay here again, just will get our breakfast elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JanineAmy_12
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I've been visiting Winter Haven for the past 20 years and this is by far my BEST hotel stay IN WINTER HAVEN. Nice and comfortable beds, pillows, and blankets, excellent A/C (not the kind that will automatically shut off in the middle of the night...), fridge & coffee maker in room, with a desk and executive chair, excellent Internet WiFi connectivity, flat screen TV, decent towels and linens (for an Express-type hotel)... There's a nice pool, fitness room, and rest/lounge in the lobby (Sorry not to comment on the condition/quality of those... we didn't use them). Above all...EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Thank you to Veronica who was so helpful, cheerful, and always with a smile. To the rest of the staff a big thank you for a wonderful stay.
HINT: purchase your Legoland tickets at the hotel and save money!! :-) Holiday Inn Winter Haven is less than 5 minutes from Legoland, with a Boston Market, Red Lobster, and Outback Rest. right in front.... Excellent location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shergill Grand Hotel Conference Center Resort
Holiday Inn Express Lake Wales N - Winter Haven
Americas Best Value Inn Winter Haven
Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven FL

Been to Holiday Inn Winter Haven? Share your experiences!