“Love Panther Lakes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Winter Garden
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Love Panther Lakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is the seond time we played Orange County National Panther Lakes. It truly is a wonderful place to golf and would recommend it to anyone. The course is in great condition and the staff there was very helpful and pleasant. We haven't gotten the chance to play Crooked Cat but hope to do so soon. We didn't stay at their facilities but it is an easy drive from the Orlando area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just finishing a golf trip here. The rooms have been nicely spruced up with better quality linens. Its obvious they have invested a lot of money upgrading the grounds and facilities. The golf courses were in fantastic shape.

Toby and Mike went out of their way to make our group feel welcome. This is the best deal going. Staying at the lodge makes the trip way easier.

Thanks OCN, we will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the putting green for night putting
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Batavia, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Came with a group of 8 guys for 3 nights and 4 days of golf. All agreed that the courses were top-tier courses in great shape. Solid value. Lodging is basic, pretty much like a mediocre Super 8. But u can't beat the convenience factor. Definitely have to drive off property for dinner a they don't even serve it..but that's ok because based on the buffet we had for breakfast, would not want to eat dinner there. Ok, but again very basic.

So if your trip is all about golf, then check out staying there for the savings and convenience. That said, I think it is safe to say that the proprietors do not put much emphasis on food or lodging, or customer service training for that matter. Staff is nice, but it's clear they could use an in fusion of quality hospitality management and training.

At the end of the day, great trip, wonderful golf- just don't expect much off the course. Quick tip- dinner in Winter Garden at Al Fresco- excellent.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The two courses and practice facilities are 1st rate . The lodge accomodation was poor . Check in took about 45mins and we were then allocated a room for disabled people( we are not ) For some reason it had had no hanging space or coat hangers , no coffee machine , the sinks had no plugs and it felt a bit gruby ! On the plus side the golf was excellent , we got around both days in less than 4 hours and the course condition was very good.The staff in the golf shop were really helpful .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank graham r
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We played during the PGA demo day (1/23/13) - both courses with a break for lunch in between. The courses are in excellent shape. It's a great design, one of the best in the area for sure.

Play was very slow - but I believe this was due to the number of people at the course for the demo day and I believe they pushed a few extra groups in.

I want ot chalk up the service issues to the extra 10K people that were there for the show, which is why I still gave it 5 stars. The staff did a good job helping us find the first tee boxes and providing information as it was clear they were a bit overwhelmed. However, I booked the first tee time of the day (7:03) and had the email confirmation in hand. When I checked in - I was told we were booked for 7:21. Not a big deal normally but the next thing you know we were at the starter with 4 groups ahead of us and didn't get out until even later. Our group normally plays very fast golf and instead we waited behind a few groups that were going to make a full day out of it.

As for the reply - it took a while to get straightened out how much we were to pay. A sign on the course says $29 replay (with no other information) while I had booked $59 and they tried to charge me $99. We were allowed the $59 rate (still not sure about the sign at $29) and went on to play a 5 hr round - again I'm sure this is due to the extra groups and crowd in general.

We will attempt this course again next year as it is one of the best layouts in the Orlando area. The conditions were excellent and the staff there was very cordial and did try to take care of things.

If you can get a decent rate - I think you should give OCN a try next time you're in town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the OCNL because it was on a well reviewed golf course, and it was inexpensive. For the golf courses being so good, the lodge is lacking in many ways.

First, I was traveling for business, though playing golf for pleasure. I wanted to separate the cost of the room and the cost of the golf onto two credit cards. They said they were unable to make that happen. I can't believe I'm the only one to ever request to split the costs - this just seems like it makes sense. The guy who checked me in said I could ask the manager the next afternoon - but being in a meeting all day made it impossible for me to be there when the manager was in.

When I got into my room, I noticed the hand towels, washcloths, and bathroom floor towel had not been put out. They were stacked in a pile on the sink. I know the housekeeping left them there accidentally because the next day, after I had returned from my meeting, they were hung up on towel racks, and the floor towel was folded neatly on the tub rim. While the shower was ok, the fan in the bathroom was quite loud, and I could see it physically vibrating from the spinning fan.

I had put trash from my dinner in the trash can the first night. When I got back from my meeting on Friday, the housekeeping crew had changed out the trash bag, but left the bag with trash in it sitting on the floor in the room. They didn't take the trash out, they just put a clean bag in the wastebasket. Quite unbelievable.

While I was picking up the trash bag they had left on the floor, with my day old trash in it, I noticed that one of the electrical receptacles under the desk did not have a faceplate on. While not a big problem for me, I can only imagine a child crawling under there and sticking a finger in the wall. That shouldn't even pass fire code, much less be something the management is ok leaving as is. See my picture for confirmation.

One more problem is the thin walls. I was up until midnight one of the two nights I stayed at OCNL, and when I turned my tv off to go to sleep, I could hear very clearly the room next door. The tv was on, and the two gentlemen in the room were talking. It was very difficult for me to sleep with the noise from the neighboring room.

My recommendation - until they clean up (literally) their act, find somewhere else to stay. Unless you just enjoy cheap and non-well kept motels, there must be something else near by that's worth the drive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank prchn4christ
Spring Hill, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is our 4th year staying at the lodge and playing 3 days of golf at Orange county national. This year, they are under new ownership and it seems that the wonderful customer service of years past has gone by the wayside. No longer is it one stop for checking into the lodge and checking in for golf. We arrived and went into the pro shop to check in as we did in years past and were told we had to go to the Lodge to check in. The pro shop knew we were early but he told us we could check in even though our rooms wouldn't be ready. We got back in the car and drove to the Lodge, went inside and said to Amy behind the desk we wanted to check in. The ever personable Amy didn't say hi, welcome, or sorry. Instead, the only words out of Amy's mouth was "you can't check in until 3:00". My reply being, the pro shop said we could check in now and get our rooms later. Again the ever personable Amy replied "you can't check in until 3:00. So much for customer service. Usually, people talk to me in full sentences. I guess Amy is a person of few words. Amy never gave me the chance to tell her we made arrangements prior to our arrival to have one of our 4 rooms ready for us since we had a diabetic in our group who needed to refridgerate her insulin. We finally got that straightened out with the Lodge manager and proceeded to go back to the clubhouse for lunch. We were the only people in the restaurant and the waitress took her sweet time getting to us to wait on us. Once again, customer service is horrible. It is now only 10:45 in the morning. One of our people asked if they could get their sandwich on rye bread and was told they didn't have any rye. Lunch only started at 10:30 and there is a Rueben on rye on the menu. It took us an hour to get lunch. Now we go play golf. We have to go back to the pro shop to get a ticket to give to the starter. The bag drop guys took their sweet time getting to us so I already had our three bags out of the car and onto the bag rack. Not once did we get a welcome to Orange County National. While out playing golf, we only saw the cart girl on hole number 14. Mind you, in years past, there would be 4 bottle of water in the cooler on our golf cart, so I did not bring my own water. I was so thirsty by the time we saw the beverage cart that I could have drunk everything on her cart. This is only day one. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE KEY IN ANY BUSINESS THAT RELIES ON THE PUBLIC FOR THEIR INCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WILL NOT BE BACK NEXT YEAR.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winter Garden
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 334 in Orlando
5.0 of 5 stars 1,273 reviews
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort

Been to Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge? Share your experiences!