“This review specifically relates to the golf course / facilities”

Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Winter Garden
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“This review specifically relates to the golf course / facilities”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Before I start I must advise that the reason my son (21 years) and I visited Orange County National Golf Centre in Orlando was because it was recommended to us. I booked to play Panther Lake on Thursday 28 June 2012, whilst on holiday in the Orlando area with my family. Having advised the club some 6 days in advance that we would require to rent clubs we arrived in good time for our arranged tee time of 07:42am.

The booking-in process was laboured and the cost of a round of golf for two together with two sets of rental clubs came to $208 (two hundred and eight US dollars). This equates to approximately £140 sterling. We purchased golf balls from the well stocked professional shop and enquired whether our rental clubs would come with golf tees only to be told by the chap behind the counter that they would not. Having paid $208 and having played golf around the world and all over my home country of Scotland I found this rather surprising. I then asked if I could buy golf tees only to be told that the shop did not have any (that they would NEED TO order some...). I asked if the starter had any tees and the chap was not able to answer this, in fact he seemed dis-interested. He then directed us towards the 1st tee advising us to walk approximately 200 - 300 yards pointing the direction (we couldn't miss it he said).

On arriving at the first tee the starter asked why he had directed us there that indeed we should have gone in the opposite direction to collect our buggy/cart and rental clubs (I should state that the starter was very professional and indeed helpful). He radioed for our clubs and buggy to be brought round to the first tee. I was then told that there were no golf tees available at the starters hut and when I enquired if they expected us to hit our drivers off the deck (we're both single handicaps ~ but not that good) I was met with astonishment that the club could not provide us with tees. The chaps from the club rental area were then despatched to find tees and some 5-10 minutes later arrived with a loose selection of 9 assorted tees between us both, which they had clearly found lying about their store area. It was now approximately 20 minutes after our arranged start time. To say that I was disillusioned would be an understatement. Indeed, disgusted would be a greater assessment of the manner in which we were treated and welcomed. We then drove the cart to the 1st tee and on inspection of our clubs we were shocked at their state. Every club (with the exception of the putters) was disgusting, indeed they were absolutely filthy, covered in muck. I doubt they had been cleaned in some considerable time but by this time I just wanted to get started and saw no tangible benefit in driving back to the starter to go through this with him (let's face it, it wasn't his fault). I cleaned each individual club myself as we continued around the course and my son did likewise.

The course itself is well laid out though the greens had been spiked (late June!!!) and a considerable amount of sand had been spread over them. It is, however, a well laid out track. At the end of our round, which took slightly longer than we expected (we were behind a four ball), we drove the cart to the return area, only to be met by the gentlemen there who pleasantly enquired if "the clubs were good to us". I had no energy to ask him if he had actually inspected them before he gave them out and merely responded that I had seen a lot better. He was clearly only being pleasant in the hope and anticipation of a tip (gratuity) and when one was not forthcoming his clearly "normal demeanour" returned and he became surly and less than pleasant. In short, this was NOT value for money and whilst I accept that others may have had an enjoyable experience at this course, this was most certainly NOT enjoyable for us. I sincerely hope that the club management take note of these comments and provide their paying guests/visitors with golf tees and clean golf clubs in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank makk3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Halifax
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We had a group of 8 players who played Panther Lake in the morning and Crooked Cat in the afternoon. Both courses are in phenomenal shape with Panther Lake sporting new greens that were rolling true and at 10.5 stimp. The practice facility is unmatched with any club I have seen. OCN was recently bought by the group that owns Celebration GC. In the past the little things OCN had to offer made the experience more enjoyable such as free bottled water, range balls, towels etc. Unfortuantely, new management has eliminated these amenities and although I would play these courses 100 times over, the emphasis was taken off the player and put more onto the pocket. I for one, would be willing to pay a little bit extra on a green fee to have these little extra perks because prior to this change OCN sis a great job in promoting the game as opposed to taking advantage of it. All in all, manicured beautifully, 4:15hr round with no waits, a great experience in the end!! Hopefully, new management maintains the esthetics at this club.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank BoolaHalifax
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed three night. Everything was great :
- room was clean
- restaurant is good and not expensive.
- and the staff was really nice !

Golf courses are challenging and remarkable.
We will certainly come back.

It is also quite close from the theme parks.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seb883
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Hands down best place to go with friends for a play and stay weekend. if you are in the area please check it out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elio R
Chicago
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I travelled here from the Midwest in January with a group of guys for a long golf weekend. The hotel was fine but nothing spectacular. Clean, comfortable rooms, ready when we arrived.

The golf was amazing. One very good course (Crooked Cat) and one spectacular course (Panther Lake). Staff was friendly and helpful.

The meals in the clubhouse were better than most clubhouses, but did not have the variety and higher quality of a true resort hotel. Recommend you stick with the burgers and sandwiches, which were very good. Clubhouse service was very polite but a bit slow.

As one reviewer said, it is in the middle of nowhere, and if you want to go out to eat it is a 20+ minute drive. But still, there is a lot to be said for golfing on a course in the middle of nowhere.

The group was unanimous - we will come back again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelin_Man23
Lexington, KY, USA
Reviewed December 21, 2010

If you think playing and staying at a municipal course is not for you then think again. This is Orlando, where dreams do come true. Decent lodging with rooms that come right out onto the putting green, a fabulous practice facility (bested only by World Woods north of Tampa) and a restaurant for breakfast and lunch means more golf time and less travel stress - until you get to the tee of either Crooked Cat or Panther Lake, both offering their own set of challenges. This facility is perfect for a foursome or group because you can play 36 a day (as we did) and still have time for a game of stymie on the putting green or a quick run on the executive course. From reservations and pro shop staff to reception and starters, the staff is there to see you have a good time. Sure, this experience is far away from the land of mice and there is no building in site but that's the way we like it. For dinner, there are many options only ten minutes and one exit away at Winter Garden Village. I rank OCN right up there with World Woods and Ponte Vedra Inn and Club.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank AFWEG
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Orange County National is one of the best courses I've played at. I highly recommend this course if you are in the area. They offer many different rates and classes. If you are looking to save some money they always have discounts and coupons to take advantage of, the most recent one they have you can find at www.bligdeal.com it is for two golf classes with a take home video CD, enjoy!‎

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Marriott's Harbour Lake
#16 of 339 in Orlando

Been to Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge? Share your experiences!