“Perfect Get Away for Bicyclists”
Review of Edgewater Hotel

Edgewater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Winter Garden
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great place to get away from the hustle & bustle of the city. Perfectly located on the main street with plenty of great restaurants within walking distance. All the staff went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. Breakfast was cooked to order and we enjoyed talking with the variety of other visitors. If you love to bike, this is perfect. You can pick up the West Orange Trail right out the front door of the B&B. Lots a sweet little shops with different items than your typical mall. Great French Bakery a block away. We'll be coming back to take in a show and spend more time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Honeymoon/Anniversary corner suite. There was plenty of room and a great cross-bre...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Myra Q

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here just last week, it was wonderful! I am a big fan of anything vintage, and the Edgewater brings you back to a simpler time. The room had a very homey feeling as did the rest of the hotel. I only had the free breakfast my first day there, but it came quickly. They leave snacks out all day long and give you free bottled water. They also offer free wifi, which came in handy. The only thing I would change is next time, I will ask for a room in front: my room was in back and didn't get much light and the view was of rooms across the air shaft. Overall, I had a great experience and loved this historic part of Winter Garden - everything you need is within walking distance. Scoops next door was lovely.

I would suggest one thing to the Edgewater: organic local food. I am a New Yorker and good food is obviously part of my DNA. I think I would have enjoyed the breakfast a bit more had the eggs been fresh, local, organic. Of course I do understand that organic costs more, but Winter Garden is surrounded by farms, and the hotel could even raise hens on their roof (heck I live in NYC and I raise hens in a very tiny backyard). I think this would add even more vintage charm and an edge that no other place in the area offers.

I noticed a few people reviewed the noise. I did hear kids running around up stairs, but never early morning or late night. And occasionally you hear someone walking to their room chatting, but I slept well and nothing woke me up. Nothing out of the ordinary. I would say it is a very quiet hotel. At night you could hear a pin drop. The Historic Winter Garden area gets busy on Friday and Saturday nights. During the week day, there is very little foot traffic.

Elevators: they have one, but it requires that you call the keepers to operate it since it is locked. I used the stairs which I would have done anyway, but if you're older or have trouble with stairs you'll need to call them everytime you leave and return for the elevator.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front if you love early morning sun. Rm 209 is in the back with a view of the r...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Angelica_NYer
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We normally stay in chain hotels, but having read the reviews decided to try the Edgewater. It was a pleasant change to stay in a place where everything was personal to the room, not identical to every other room. The patchwork quilt on the bed was lovely, and it was a pleasure to see china ornaments in the room. The refurbishment had been carried out very well.

Using a manually operated lift was a new experience. It was nice to have breakfast at a communal table, and meet other guests.

I had wondered about car parking availability. The car park at the side of the hotel had limited space, but there was a public car park just by, which was fine (providing you didn't try and park there at 7 p.m. when it was almost full because of people visiting the local restaurants.)

The Thai Blossom restaurant on the ground floor provided nicely cooked food, in a very pleasant atmosphere.

We enjoyed being able to walk out of the hotel and be right in the centre of Winter Garden.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wildew
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our first time to take lodging at a B&B, and away from one of the chain hotels. This was a fun step back into the past, starting with the front desk with the old-timey phone, typewriter and other stuff from the past. Then we took the manually controlled (by hotel staff) up to the 2nd floor where the common area and rooms were. Room was a little on the small side. Sink, tub/shower were also from the past, but plenty of hot water. Unfortunately bed was very "springy", so any movement will disturb your partner. Breakfast was nice, service friendly. Generally a good value in a wonderful location.

Room Tip: If you're sure you're going, reserve early because they tend to fill up, particularly the le...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank richarrrrd
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was my second stay, both times for a recumbent bicycle manufacturer's rally. The staff were helpful and friendly, breakfast was better than those offered in the chain motels, it was nice to be right in the center of downtown...except for around midnight when those who had over indulged thoughtt they needed to holler to be heard by their friends.

Winter Garden is a very nice little town with some very good restaurants, neat curio shops and live music on the esplanade in the middle of the main street. There was a festival in the park when we where there which added to the fun.

The hotel furnishings are a tad quirky but in a way that adds to the ambiance. Definitely not luxury but still a nice taste from the hotel's heyday. The Thai restaurant was good...not great as reported by the reviews in the window, but a good meal. I hope I don't sound like a snob but we've had Thai food in the Northwest costing no more than we paid here that I'd call great.

Oh...the bike trail that you can get on right in front of the hotel was terrific.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank krispysteve
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I visited friends for a project in Winter Garden, Florida, and got to stay at the Edgewater hotel. The entire experience was WONDERFUL, from the family atmosphere of the staff to the quaint and classic decor of the room, to the hot shower with quite nice water pressure :-)

When I woke up, I felt a little like Mark Twain with the antique surroundings and vintage decor, and loved it. Even better, the included breakfast was homemade to order, generously portioned, and cheerfully served.

If you're looking for a classic bed-and-breakfast style experience to get away from it all, I can't recommend the Edgewater highly enough. Go for it!

-Phillip

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wonderful hotel. Great remodeling on a 100 year old building. Really takes you back in time. Very clean and such a great friendly staff. Winter Garden is a lovely town also - nice people and great restaurants and stores.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Villas of Grand Cypress
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 341 in Orlando
Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Ocoee

Been to Edgewater Hotel? Share your experiences!