“Hmmmmm, probably needs a second visit...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Chef's Table Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 135 Restaurants in Winter Garden
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Boyd St.
Description: The Tasting Room at the Chef's Table is the small plate concept brought to you by the same chefs that create food at the Chef's Table at the Edgewater. Since opening, we have won Best Appetizers in Orlando by the readers of Orlando Magazine. Our full bar offers some of the best creative, craft cocktails in Orlando. And we also serve craft beers and award winning wines.
Winter Garden, Florida
“Hmmmmm, probably needs a second visit...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We tried this place for the first time last evening (a Friday night). My wife had made a reservation, but once there it was clear we didn't really need one. We chose the tapas area over the actual chef's table for this first visit. Our thoughts were to try the small plates to get a feel for the place before we committed to the actual chef's table. We arrived during happy hour. It was very noisy and detracted from our enjoyment in that it was a struggle to hear or carry on a conversation over the loudness.

The menu was quite interesting, and we spent some time trying to decide what we would order. The server was very knowledgeable and very helpful when it came to discussing the menu. She alerted us to the timing of happy hour which was quite nice of her. They serve a decent cabernet as a choice during this time.

We finally decided on the French fries cooked in duck fat, the butcher's plate, the fois gras and the trio of beef Wellington. The server assured us of the timing, saying that the beef trio took 25 to 30 minutes. We envisioned a plate or two arriving at a time, and a leisurely meal...

Nothing could be further from the truth! Within 5 minutes of placing our order the plates started arriving. In 10 minutes we were very unhappy. The runner bringing the food was either very poorly trained, or completely hated her job. She brought out the plates, almost slamming them on the table. As the small table began to get very crowded, very quickly, she started pushing one plate into another, moving our drinks and separating components from the dishes. My wife commented that the beef was supposed to be twenty five or thirty minutes wait. She barked that it was only a twenty minute wait. When my wife pointed out that it hadn't even been ten minutes, she walked away. So here we sat at a small two top, covered in a hodge-podge of misplaced dishes, some hanging off the edge of the table. We were seriously not happy. So much for leisurely. So much for hot food.

We were able to get the attention of our server who was very quick to try and help. She pulled another two top over and separated the dishes so we could move. She then removed the beef returning it to the kitchen to keep warm in the oven until we were ready. She was surprised to see that it had come out so quickly. Given that it was tepid, we felt our suspicion was confirmed. We had been served a plate that was either ordered by someone else and canceled, or been ordered in error.

Once we were able to have space enough to dine, we began to taste our choices. The French fries were the star of the show. Very nicely cooked and the aioli made a nice condiment. The butcher's plate was mostly disappointing. The elk was ok, and the pickled onions were very good. The Tasso ham was not nice and the remainder of the plate was boring. The fois gras was very nice, albeit infinitesimally small. I did not care for the teeth crackingly sweet maple syrup accompaniment, but my wife did enjoy it. The server brought the beef to the table at our request. It had only been improved by being returned to the oven. The sogginess originally present had eased somewhat by waiting in the oven, and this time it was actually hot. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth the wait. The beef short rib interior was tough, and fatty with a few bits of gristle.

We asked about dessert and were shown a tray of puddings and cakes in small glasses. None looked appetizing, so we passed.

We will perhaps go again, but only during happy hour, and only for a small bite, prior to dining elsewhere for the full meal.

May yet try the chef's table, but not certain after or mediocre experience of last evening.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Tampa,Florida
“Intimate Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful find in the world of touristy Florida. We were seated and the experience began. The three course dinner offered had several choices for each course. The waiter was very knowledgeable about preparation and ingredients. We enjoyed the slow pace and upscale food. Will definitely come back.

Visited April 2013
Satellite Beach, Florida
“Don't wait. Make your reservation now.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Don't wait. Make your reservation now. Outstanding food, service and atmosphere. I believe Winter Garden is the new hot spot.... for years to come. Also, stop for a pre dinner cocktail at Pilar's across the street. I cant wait to go back.... and i drive an hour and a half to get there!

Chef's offers a prix fixe menu. Multiple excellent choices for each course. It was really hard to decide. (we actually ordered an extra appetizer.. the ceviche... was great). Duck is my favorite and chef really does a great job on it. I substituded the risotto for the roasted veggie and potatoes. Service was spot on. Hurry before everyone finds out about this gem.

Orlando, FL
“What took me so long to eat here?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I finally had the pleasure of dining at Chef's Table in Winter Garden. It's been on my to-do list for a couple of years now, especially because the chef is originally from the New Orleans area, just like me.

This restaurant did not disappoint, and my only regret is that it took me so long to finally get around to eating there. It will not be my last visit!

We enjoyed the three-course meal with the wine pairing. Our server, Jeremy, was extremely friendly, professional and best of all, knowledgable about where our food came from and how it was prepared. He made everything sound delicious.

For starters we had the seared foie gras on toasted brioche and the mushroom chive torte. Both were excellent. I happen to love mushrooms and liked the torte, but if mushrooms aren't your thing, then the torte would not be for you. The foie melted in your mouth, and the brioche and maple glaze gave it a French toast flavor that was really unique. Chef Kevin paid us a visit after our apps, and it was great to speak with someone from "back home." It was nice to get that personal touch—it's the sort of thing that makes customers loyal.

For entrees, we had the filet and the duck. I've had duck at many restaurants but never one as tender as this one was. It was beautifully seared with a nice layer of fat for extra flavor. I would be very tempted to order the filet for myself next time. Chef's Table offers one of the most flavorful steaks I've ever sampled—perfectly seasoned and seared with a great crust and then allowed to rest so the juices can redistribute.

We enjoyed chef's signature cinnamon bread pudding flavored with ginger ice cream. It's hard to find bread pudding outside of New Orleans that we like, and we liked this one! I was especially pleased with the goat cheese and lemon curd cheesecake with rosemary crust and blackberry compote. A fantastic way to finish a meal with something not too sweet but extremely satisfying.

Ambiance here was also very pleasant. The front of the restaurant is for The Tasting Room (no reservations required and tapas-style portions). Chef's Table is near the back of the building, closer to the kitchen, where you can receive more personal attention and view the ins and outs of the kitchen.

I highly recommend you try Chef's Table. You won't be disappointed with the food or the service. If you're like me, you'll already be thinking about what you want to try next time.

Winter Garden, Florida
“A Fine Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Fine dining should be an experience and Chef's Table in Winter Garden is an experience you shouldn't miss. I would rate this as one of the best restaurants in Central Florida and in my top 10 in the state. It had an adequate wine list and the food was delicious and ample. I had the duck which was skillfully prepared and my wife had the Bass which was cooked to perfection. The mushroom crepe torte is worth the trip on its own. While my wife loves refrigerated salads I prefer salads that are made immediately prior to serving which I saw as the only drawback to an otherwise great meal. We will definitely dine here again.

• Visited March 2013