“The Best Place to Stay in Fort Lauderdale”

The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa
SouthernGentleman158
“The Best Place to Stay in Fort Lauderdale”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We have stayed numerous times at this resort. Our latest stay was for our 20th anniversary. We are planning to return in December.

It is by far the best place to stay in Fort Lauderdale. Their compound gives you many different places to enjoy the sun and to meet the other quests. You have the main pool, the hot tub or the more secluded pool to enjoy.

There are many different types of people you will meet at the Cabanas. During our last stay there was a wonderful group of guys (8) from Dallas that came all the way to Fort Lauderdale to throw a birthday party for one of their friends. There was also on new couple (from Boston & Philadelphia) on their first extended trip together. We also met a wonderful gentleman from DC who comes down very often.

They have the best staff we have dealt with in Fort Lauderdale. They are very helpful in meeting any request.

The Spa services are GREAT!!!

We have stayed at other resorts in Fort Lauderdale but none come close the experience you get at the Cabanas.

If you plan to stay in Fort Lauderdale no place is as close to the bars as the Cabanas.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SouthernGentleman158

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
London
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We are currently at the Cabana's enjoying a birthday holiday. This place is excellent, rooms are so clean which for us is so important, as when you stay at some gay only places the hygiene can leave a lot to be desired.
The owners cannot do enough to make your stay great and as is noted in other reviews if you ask them for a reasonable request and they are able to oblige they are more than happy to assist.
Definately will be coming back and definately highly recommed this place, and believe me we are not easily impressed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marke18
los angeles
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Well if you are looking for a great value and a quiet getaway this is the BEST place hands down!! The staff was great, the property unmatched and the room was comfortable. John the owner I think was willing to do all he could to make us comfotable and made sure that we felt welcomed! Other ppl have complained that the baths weren't updated or crap like that, well then they need to hit the Ritz! The Cabanas is a wonderful value for the $ I have already booked another trip there and a few friends have done so as well. I can't say enough about this place!!! STAY HERE for sure!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 562pelon
Rockville
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Let's face it. There are a lot of gay resorts in Fort Lauderdale (many are pretty terrific, some are not) - each one has its own atmosphere, its own pro's & con's. Since my first stay at the Cabanas (4 years ago, I think), it immediately ranked in my list of Top 4 Fort Lauderdale resorts (sharing that list with the Coral Reef Guesthouse, Schubert Resort, New Zealand House) - if you stayed at any of these resorts, you wouldn't go wrong. Like I said, each has its own atmosphere - and I love each of these places for different reasons.

BUT... The Cabanas has edged its way to the #1 spot on my list. I love this place, and find myself coming back - repeatedly. Last summer, I made 3 different trips down to Fort Lauderdale, staying at the Cabanas each time - this summer, I visited in June, and will be returning again in just a couple of weeks.

The layout of the place is terrific. Most resorts have everything more or less clumped together - hot tub is adjoined to the pool, etc. - but The Cabanas is a bigger lot of land, so everything has more space around it. The hot tub is in a different location than the pool - so both areas may very well have a totally different "atmosphere" going on - which is very, very cool (I mean, "hot").

The rooms are great. Comfortable beds, clean crisp linens, good pillows. Tropically decorated. Air conditioning good.

The staff is amazing - truly amazing. It's reached a point, now, when I arrive there, I feel like I'm joining good friends... I feel like the staff there are no longer "staff", but close friends, now - and you can't put a price on that feeling.

The new pool is amazing. Plus (for sunworshippers like me) the pool is blessed with nonstop sun (especially in the summer). Their new spa is pretty nice, too. I took advantage of getting a massage while there, and it was wonderful.

Breakfast is - well, it's your Fort Lauderdale continental breakfast. These resorts are required by law(!) to serve packaged items, so anyone who wants to complain about that? Take it to the city - it's not any of the resorts' fault(s). The Cabanas served what I need for breakfast, so I definitely will not complain. Good coffee, some fresh fruit, yogurt - that's all I want - and they had it for me.

What more can I say?

As a pedestrian, the location suits me fine. There's a liquor store only about a block away, next to a super-drug-store... Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The gay bars of Wilton Manors is a short drive/cab ride - or a long walk - still close enough. No highrises looking down into the property (whew!), the waterway behind the property is beautiful, kyacks available, etc.

I love Fort Lauderdale. I love this staff. I love The Cabanas. John, Bill, David - I feel like they have, over the years, evolved from owners/staff to friends. A great feeling that is, too.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Victor V
Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed here one weekend and would not stay at this resort again. The rooms were not that comfortable as they seemed to be in the resort's website pictures. There is a contaminated river on the back of the property and as expected there were several rats, rodents and insects roaming freely around the hot tub and the pool at night. The staff was o.k., but the housekeepers (except for one Puerto Rican) were not that friendly. We did not like the atmosphere at this place and the location is not that great, since it is a mile away from Wilton Manors strip and more than a mile to the beach. I think this place is way overrated.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tejano66
CabanaBoy01, Owner at The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our guesthouse.First off, let us clarify that the waterfront property is located on the North Fork of the Middle River which lead directly to the Atlantic Ocean and is often referred to as the Venice of America. This body of water moves with the tides and is not contaminated by any stretch of the immagination. As far as the occasional critter goes, this would be expected at any waterfront location and every effort is taken to manage the natural environment. Currently, over the last several years we have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars adding new amenities and remodeling rooms, such as a new salt water heated pool, new roofs, a men's full service day spa, and flat screen tv's in all the rooms. There is no other guesthouse located in Wilton Manors that offers all these amenities. Over the last 10 years, we have been rated as one of the friendliest and most popular resorts in Gay Fort Lauderdale as stated in many of the other reviews. We are centrally located to all the nightlife, restaurants, and shopping as well as the beach. We wouldn't think that driving a mile to any of these locations would be to far. If the 1 mile was to far, there is a free shuttle from the guesthouse to the gay business district. Our website clearly shows our location in proximity to all the gay businesses. In closing, we would have certainly appreciated any comments or concerns you had while visiting ,which could have been discussed with any of the office staff and been resolved to your satisfaction. The Cabanas Guesthouse and Spa is committed to providing all of our guests with the comfort in accomadations they expect.
Louisiana, USA
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I traveled to the area for work but extended my stay to stay at the Cabanas Guesthouse. I was greated by an extremely friendly staff person, who i believe was the owner. I was given a brief tour and showed to my room. The room was extremely spacious and clean. The grounds were landscaped very tropical and all of the facilities was well kept. I was only able to stay 2 nights but will definitely be going back soon as possible. In addition, i met some very nice couples who I ended up going to dinner with and heading out for a few drinks. Everyone was extremely friendly. Had a great and relaxing time!

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank marcusmoreau
Hackney, London
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I was visiting Fort Lauderdale on my own for the first time. The location was ideal for bars on Wilton Drive, also adjacent to a great diner for breakfast and the federal highway for access to other areas. The pool area was a great place to chat and meet people or just relax. Staff were very helpful, it was clean and comfortable. I would definitely come back again if I visit the area again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Blue0cean09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilton Manors
Royal Palms Resort & Spa
#58 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Ramada Fort Lauderdale Oakland P...
#67 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Central Beach
Hotel Lush Royale
Hotel Lush Royale
#11 of 34 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa? Share your experiences!