“first time's the charm”

The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was our first time on a real get away vacation for myself & my partner Patrick. A friend I grew up with in Miami who now lives in Ft. Lauderdale recommended the Cabanas, and what a delight it was. Think of a 1950's motor court with 'Shangri-La" tropical layout and you can get a snapshot of what this place is like. Everyone was extremely helpful and courteous, and the owner 'John' made sure first timers like us felt very welcomed. We didn't realize it was clothing optional, but that wasn't a problem. The small numbers of residents made for a cozy, intimate group setting without feeling like you are in a 'meat market' or being over-starred at, so after awhile walking around naked became the norm. A large wooden fence around most of the property shields anyone from seeing in, and makes for a secure layout, as you have to have the code to get into the 'compound'.
There's a nice 'continental' breakfast included in your room charge consisting of yogurt, cereal, packaged danish, fresh fruit, or bagels. Anything more, and you can journey to nearby restaurants. All rooms are nicely equipped with sink, fridge and microwave. Only the largest 'suite' has a full size stove, but hey, you're on vacation, so who wants to cook?
The Cabanas are conveniently located at the eastern edge of Wilton Manors, about midways from the bars on Wilton Drive to the beach. We even used the 'hopper', a local "overgrown golf cart" to take us back and forth to the bars, as parking is limited on a popular night. Just tip the driver accordingly.
Will we stay again at the Cabanas? You bet! We met some great guys, and we are keeping in touch to try and get together again same time next summer. Can't wait.
Jon Bassett and Patrick Henry, Tampa Florida

Room Tip: Our first room, #7, was great. It looked upon the pool, so we could quickly look out and check the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan B

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Immaculately clean and beautifully maintained, this clothing optional gem offers all the fun gay stuff, plus kayaks onsite if you want to explore the local canal system, and a spa to really get in vacation mode.
It's a short walk to a number of great resturaunts, but our rooms included a full kitchen, which I always appreciate.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank MicahHilgendorf
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My partner and I recently returned from another wonderful stay at The Cabanas. While we have stayed there a number of times previously, I continue to be impressed with their continual upgrades and improvements. It is obvious that they don't hesitate to extend the necessary efforts and funds to keep the place at the highest level of quality. As always the entire staff was welcoming and took care of our every need. It is truly a home away from home in every positive way! On this trip we were in a one bedroom suite overlooking the canal. We had a beautiful private deck with a nice water view. The suite even included a full sized washer and dryer, so we returned home with a suitcase full of clean clothes! I can't say enough positive things about The Cabanas; it is the place which sets the standard for other gay guesthouses! John, Paul & David - keep up the good work!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed here and had the apt# 12 because the other room was too small to accommodate me and my partner with all the stuff we had since we were staying a few days and wanted to be comfortable. I must say that this apt is very comfortable and clean and cozy- We were thinking for a moment while there that we could live there bc it was that comfortable. The only thing that i saw as a fault were the laundry machine and dryer that didn't work well. A few of the settings did not work and the dryer was not drying the clothes in one cycle, took about 4-5 cycles to dry a small load! This is minor if you do not intend on doing laundry but indeed a very comfy place to stay. Always one of my favorite places to stay (this was our 3rd visit)

Room Tip: Apt 12 or the King Prem Waterfront or Waterfront that faces the canal as oppose to the ones closer t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Just got back after my 69 stay., Wow room 8 is to die for. King bed, full kitchen right on the water. Cool fast internet and great maid service. David, Paul and John understand what they do and do if very well. I am use to staying at the best. So many other 5 star Guesthouses in Fort Lauderdale charge you 250-300 for what, to have my bed turned down and stay with a bunch of stuck up men. No way. The Cabanas is so relaxed, great men serving great men. Please spend you gay dollars here you will not be sorry. If you like salt water pools sun, and of course the Spa this is your new home. Great Job Cabanas., I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars there and did so without one problem. Thanks so much for reading this.

The Man from Cabana 8

Room Tip: Room 8 is a great room King on the water
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank greekbear45
Reviewed June 13, 2012

There are many gay, clothing optional guesthouses in Wilton Manors to choose from and I did my research and was glad I went with The Cabanas. They were very friendly on the phone when I booked my trip, and from the moment I arrived, until I checked out it was fantastic! The place was spotless, the property well kept, and the staff friendly. What I liked about it was how clean it was!! There is a Men's Spa on the premises which I didn't use unfortunately so I can't say if it was good or not. I would definitely stay here again.

There is a little buggy service that drops you off at the bars at night on Wednesdays through Sundays starting at 8:00pm until bars close. The ride is free and all you have to do is tip the driver. Ask the guys at the front desk for their number.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Stephen A
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for eight nights and enjoyed our stay greatly. When we first arrived it was raining so hard we were drenched through to our skin. At first I was not sure if we were going to stay the entire time. After the first couple of days the staff won us over. The resort was very relaxing and comfortable. The cleaning staff did a very good job of cleaning and maintaing the rooms. We worked with David in the office the most and he was great, he kept us informed of services and events and was very nice to work but the entire office staff was great. Our room was an afterthought at the resort and the owner even admitted that but said it was one of the next ones to be remodeled but even so the room extremely comfortable.
The positives of the resort was the nice rooms, private and quiet, secured parking, friendly and knowledgable staff. The only thing I would like to see is an afternoon meet and greet type of happy hour. Give all the guests a chance to get to know each other if they want to outside of the pool. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilton Manors
Royal Palms Resort & Spa
#59 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Victoria Park
Pineapple Point Guest House and Resort
Pineapple Point Guest House and ...
#1 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
The Worthington Guest House
#3 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
Ed Lugo Resort
#1 of 1 in Wilton Manors

Been to The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa? Share your experiences!