“Perfect Location !”

The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa
Reviewed January 22, 2008

On our 8th trip to Fort Lauderdale in 10 years - this was the first time we stayed away from the FTL Beach area where most of the guest houses are.

PLEASANT SUPRISE.

Nice cabanas (cabins) with full kitchens. Very nice pools (one secluded and not heated - one bigger pool, heated but along the main road). 10 Man Hot Tub right on an intercoastal river.
Rocking chairs on a deck over the water. Beautiful tropical plantings.

This is the right place to stay at this time.

There are FOUR major highrise resorts under construction between the guest houses on the beach. The entire strip of funky old businesses, stores and quick food that were very VERY welcoming to the gay community have be wiped off the face of the earth and replaced by empty store fronts. So staying at the beach right now may be a bit lonely - and quite a walk to buy even the simplest supplies... I do not recommend staying iin the beach guest houses until life along that stretch has come back once the W, Trump Tower and Hilton fully open in late 2009

With free secure parking renting a car makes sense if you stay at The Cabanas. This location is right down the street from all the action on Wilton Drive (BILL's has taken over as the Sunday afternoon hotspot.) Going the other way you are five minutes from the legendary (and very gay friendly) Mai Kai restaurant, and then only 10 minutes from the gay beach when you are ready to explore that scene.

The manager is very nice and the 24 Hours pool is an extra few steps away from the rooms so noise is never a problem.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RJP3

Reviewed December 9, 2007

The first thing that strikes you about Fort Lauderdale is the sheer size of it. You definately needed a car to get around. The Cabanas is a well maintained, very friendly, clean, tidy and private guesthouse with about 18 separate cabana style bungalows all set in leafy surroundings. Nice pool with separate jacuzzi and steam room and the rooms themselves had all the usual amenities to ensure a pleasant stay. Would recommend to any discering gay traveller.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andysteve01
Reviewed February 28, 2007

To begin, let me say that I would not hesitate to stay at the Cabanas again. I had a thoroughly relaxing time. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient and picturesque -- at least on the canal side. BUT there are factors that might discourage some travelers: First, while the rooms are large and clean, they are furnished with an eclectic mix of hard-worn pieces that are shabbier than they are chic. But the bed was firm and the bed linens very satisfying to sleep in, and I didn't spend alot of time in the room otherwise. Second, the complimentary continental breakfast and happy hour are so cheap as to be almost silly. Pre-packaged ("Otis Spunkmeyer") baked goods in the morning just don't make it; for the price of the room, it's not too much to expect something fresh from a local bakery. But the coffee was good, and yogurt and cereal were also offered. Likewise, the happy hour is sadly set: boxed wines and a few cans of domestic beer. There are good wines available at very reasonable prices, and that alone would have gone a long way to show guests that they are truly appreciated. The evening snacks (packages of peanut butter crackers and individual bags of chips) are embarassing. Again, how hard would it be to offer something with a bit of style - like a block of cheese? Finally, the road noise is rather distressing. The full plantings mask it, but the heated pool is directly beside a heavily traveled road and very close to a busy intersection. I got the feeling that the music was provided to try to cover for the traffic noise, which meant that the music itself was often way too loud. Still, I was able to relax and enjoy the sun. The staff fulfilled any request I made. I'd go back, but hopefully I'd find that a few tweaks had made this good guesthouse so much better.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank OuttaMyWay
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I just stayed at the Cabanas this past weekend for three nights. Overall, the establishment was clean, well-managed, and staff offerred great service.

I booked literally the day before my trip and I luckily got a Queen size room that was partitioned off of the grand suite (*This is not one of the Queen size rooms as advertised; this is the second room of the grand suite). It gave me more privacy and it was located on the second floor. Unfortunately, since it wasn't the main Queen room and it was partitioned off, my door did not face the gated property. That was ok though.

Wireless internet was superb. I had my laptop and used it without experiencing any problems.

The clientele at the property were quite diverse amongst gay men (foreigners, bears, young, older, athletic, etc.) I met a few young men from the United Kingdom. Very friendly.

My room was always clean. The property was always clean during my stay. Note though that the office/food area is only open until 7:30pm.

Service exceeded my expectations. I needed to borrow a bicycle in the early morning and they accommodated my request accordingly.

Though parking may be tight, I didn't find it an issue during my stay especially this past weekend when the Cabanas were full. I'm not 100% sure but I think there is at least a parking spot per room.

I did not eat breakfast at the establishment only because I had to meet friends at other restaurants in the Ft. Lauderdale area during the morning. From what I saw though, there is food in the food area all the time (fruit, chips, water). There is also one computer guests may use -- however I do not recall seeing a printer.

The kayaks are a plus and the free use of their bicycles is a definite perk. Without a doubt, I wouldn't mind staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank joey0530
Reviewed October 15, 2006

I recently stayed at The Cabannas Guest House in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. This was my third visit there. It is a Gay clothing optional resort. The Cabannas is clean, and the service is wonderful. The staff is excellent. I met wonderful men from all over the world staying there, however, if you prefer, you can stay to yourself and that is respected too. I found it very relaxing to stay by the pool, or explore the area. It is located in Wilton Manors area, so it is close to everything. This place is worth checking out.
[--]

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PhilipSCRI
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I would recommend The Cabanas, hands down, to anyone considering a trip to Fort Lauderdale. Aside from the fact that the location (Wilton Manors) is ideally situated for shopping, night life and the beach, this resort guesthouse has the perfect mix of amenities, charm, comfortable rooms and a very casual, relaxing atmosphere.

The owners and staff are extremely down-to-earth, personable and professional guys, and make every effort to address the needs and complete comfort of their guests. The manicured gardens and tropical landscaping make it feel like a private resort, and the pool area and outdoor jacuzzi are perfectly situated for convenience and privacy to all of the guests. The steam room was also great - very hot within just a few minutes and very clean!

There just seemed to be so much attention to detail, in every aspect, and all of the other "little things" that can really count toward a great experience.

I loved coming over to the cafe each morning, and being able to grab fresh coffee, some fruit, and pastries, and check my e-mail on the PC with high-speed internet and maybe read the paper in the courtyard garden. The complimentary continental breakfast was always nicely presented, and included a great assortment of fresh items.

My room was awesome--nicely decorated and furnished with an "at home" feel, including a small kitchenette, extremely comfortable bed and DVD player for the TV. The staff was outstanding about providing housekeeping and towel services.

What I loved the most was the quaintness and friently feel overall--I met several other guests during my stay, who were all great to visit with and get to know. I plan to keep in touch with some of them that I was able to spend more time with.

In summary, this place and the team of guys who run and manage it, are definitely a class act. There will be no question as to where I stay on my next visit to Fort Lauderdale -- I can't wait!

Ross Mittel
Dallas, Texas

2  Thank boymiddle
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I just returned home from a wonderful stay at the Cabanas GuestHouse! It was my first time staying in Fort Lauderdale, and John (the owner) gave me lots of suggestions of places to visit and things to do. The Cabanas is located very close to the Ft Lauderdale night life, and just a short bike ride to the local beaches.

The Cabanas has bikes which guests can use to ride around town. I rode to the beach with the directions that John gave me. It was a scenic and easy ride. I love the Ft Lauderdale beaches and the bike ride was a fun way to get there! The Cabanas is located on one of the many canals in the city. I enjoyed watching the sun rise and set over the beautiful canals.

I enjoyed the easy access to a PC which enabled me to take care of some on-line banking, plus I was able to e-mail my family back home.

My room was very clean and comfortable, and the pools and other facilities at the Cabanas are well maintained. I enjoyed the pool and sauna during my stay. There was one rainy day, and as I came running into the office (soaking wet) John was ready with a towel for me to dry off. The Cabanas knows how to treat a guest!

I enjoyed my stay at the Cabanas and I'm looking forward to another visit soon!!

• Stayed: June 2006
Hotel Lush Royale
#11 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
Victoria Park
Pineapple Point Guest House and Resort
Pineapple Point Guest House and ...
#1 of 35 in Fort Lauderdale
Island Sands Inn
#1 of 2 in Wilton Manors

Been to The Cabanas Guesthouse & Spa? Share your experiences!