“Off the beaten path!!”

Cotillion Southern Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Wildwood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Southern Cuisine, served "ASAP", As Southern As Possible. Made from Scratch including: Chicken N Waffles, Shrimp N Grits, "Train Wreck", Smoked Pulled Pork, All Sauces, Dressings, Desserts and a Full Selection of Sandwich and Salads.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant while driving north. Our GPS listed it and we took a chance. Wow! You would never think that it existed in such and unassuming neighborhood. There were many, many women lunching there, some quite dressed. We were in jeans and that was fine. The food is excellent. Really southern, well prepared and fresh. The atmosphere is southern, too! We did not have dessert but boy did they look incredible!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant over and over again, and yet while living in this area for almost 20 years, I never even heard of it. I sure have been wasting my time!

This restaurant has everything you could won't with a Southern Charm. The food was excellent, and with 2 of us sharing we had left overs for the next day too!

Our servers were kind and made us feel right at home.

And you have to save room for desert or get a slice to go! Cakes are made fresh each day, and these cakes will blow you away! We tried the red velvet and southern serenity (I believe this was the name) and I can't wait to go back and try the rest

1  Thank Finding-A-Neverland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I went with group of friends. I called earlier in the week to get reservations, and was really excited after reading the reviews. I had been there for lunch about a year ago & it was nice. When we got there we found ourselves seated right next to the door, it was a cold night & one of the couples had to get coats from their car to wear, which they did throughout dinner, not pleasant dining. Anytime the door opened we got a blast of cold air, not the best arrangement for guests expecting a nice night out with friends. The waitress did not pick up the appetizer plates & brought out our entrees, she was very rude when I asked if she could clear the plates first. It seems that it is so obvious, but apparently not. The tables are so close together that we kept getting bumped when the other tables were getting their dishes, very unpleasant. The food was good, but overall a very disappointing experience. The food was not good enough to make me want to repeat the experience. The rude waitresses made me uncomfortable & angry, but I did not want to ruin the evening for our friends. This was not Southern Hospitality at all!!!

Kathi V, Owner at Cotillion Southern Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

This happened during the busiest week of our year. We had 3 our waitresses out on medical emergencies. We hired one the day before you were in and she had to sink or swim. Because it was a cold night people would not wait outside and crowded into the front door making it hard for us to get to tables. You were seated just inside the front door on the right and probably were getting bumped. Our cafe IS very small and the comment I hear the most is "Don't change a thing, or you will lose your intimate ambiance". It is a love hate thing with me, we need a bigger place but.......... most of my customers will not be happy when we move. There were several factors that contributed to ruining your experience, the new waitress who got thrown out there, the large amount of people that showed up that night, the cold weather, the missing employees that caused all of us extra work and the overloaded cash register. Since your visit we have tried to evaluate what we could've done better. We have installed a point of sale system making it much easier to put orders in, make changes and print tickets. This also helps with the amount of trips servers have to make to the kitchen. We are working on moving into an adjacent, much larger building and have had more server training. I am so sorry if the servers that night were not hospitable. We were all simply overloaded. Please accept my apology. I hope you will call me so that I can make this up to you.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a very small restaraunt built out of a former bank, so I would highly recommend reservations. Even with reservations we had to wait ten minutes to be seated. Everyone at our table enjoyed their food very much and our meals were brought out promptly. The servers we efficient but lacked any kind of southern hospitality you would expect from a southern cafe. Expect lots of charming items like the mismatched china and the ancient salt shakers. Our silverware was not properly cleaned, but I've only eaten here once so maybe that was a fluke. Also, they have a wide variety of cakes. We chose a monstrously large slice of coconut cake that was moist and delicious. They have the food downpat, but they should work on the front of house to get to the five star level. Also, the cafe used to allow patrons to bring their own wine. This is no longer permitted.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have visited the Cotillion many times with friends over the past few years. Wanted to treat my sister-in-law today to lunch. We arrived shortly after noon without reservations... we were told by the owner that she'd call me when our table was ready - expect a wait of 20 to 30 minutes. Fine - we shopped in the neighboring stores. 30 minutes later, we were back in the front on the rocking chairs. I stepped inside and she acknowledged me... said it would be just a few more minutes. In the meantime, 3 other ladies walked through their door and were immediately seated. I waited a few more minutes and stepped inside - greeted by the gentleman.. who apologized - there was a mix-up.They had given our table to the women who had just walked in. They would seat us a just a few more minutes.
We had now waited an hour - but I knew it would be worth it. Then we waited 15 minutes until I had to ask if someone would bring us a menu.. Sadly, we were seated at the owner's station. She was absolutely disinterested in taking care of us. We finally got drinks and put our order in immediately.
The food arrived via another waitress as the owner was very busy talking with a gentleman sitting at the back of the restaurant... when she finally dropped by the table, she told us in passing that she was discussing their new bakery... Like I care????
Thankfully, the food was delicious... but we were stressed out all through lunch... we spent all our time trying to get refills on our drinks - a glass of water - and then finally dessert. The gentleman came with our bill before we were able to order dessert... It took 3 people to get our cakes delivered to us...
Bottom line, we won't be back. The owner needs to fire herself if she's not interested in waiting on tables and caring for customers. The restaurant is now so over crowded with tables that you can hardly move around. It used to be my favorite place to entertain visitors, but we'll search out another going forward.
I'm still stressed out from what was supposed to be a fun time. And it wasn't cheap - $27.00 for my chicken salad, iced tea and a piece of cake for lunch is not a bargain.
Thanks for the heart ache and heart burn.

1  Thank rockyisle

I remember you and your table. It was the busiest and one of the worst weeks we have ever had. We had 3 day employees out, one in the hospital with pleurisy, one with a miscarriage and one was out with a severely sick baby. Our night server was also out with pneumonia and could not cover. I had a meeting that day with the fire Marshall to talk about my new bakery to get the information that my contractor was waiting for. They were at a standstill. Because so many employees called out that day I had to help out front. I seated you at the next table in front of him. I tried to get the information my contractor needed while running back and forth. We were so busy that day that people were crowded into the front door making it hard to get to tables. Our register was overloaded and couldn't keep up and I was having to expo and run food and wait tables while my husband ran the register. I hired a waitress the day before and without any training she had to sink or swim and I was also trying to help her. We were simply overloaded. Even 1 employee calling in at a cafe our size can be hard, 3 was devastating. We simply had no one to put at the front to manage the reservation and walk in guests. There were a lot of other factors that day that I won't go into. I am sorry your experience was less than you expected. While we can't anticipate medical emergencies, we have taken steps to improve our service on busy days. Since your visit we have installed a point of sale system, making it easier to put in orders, print tickets and enabling the person at the register to spend more time managing the guests. We have instituted policies to try to handle things better. I hope you will come back and give us another chance. Please call me I would be happy to treat you to lunch. Again we are so sorry about the inconvenience.

Been to Cotillion Southern Cafe? Share your experiences!