“Great to visit to/from the airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carib Cultural Village by the Sea (Kalinago Barana Aute)

Carib Cultural Village by the Sea (Kalinago Barana Aute)
Seattle, Washington
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Great to visit to/from the airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stopped by here on our way to the airport. We were the only group in attendance and hence had the tour guide to ourselves. It was interesting to learn about how the Kalinago people moved across the islands in the Carribbean and learn about their culture and history. There were interesting nuggets of history based on their account that completely counter the more traditional accounts taught in US schools. I had my eyes opened to hear a different perspective and for that I'm very grateful. For example, Carib is the name given to the people likely by a foreigner, however recently they decided to go back to their name: Kalinago.

The downside about when we visited was that there was no demonstrations occurring with the exception of the dance for a fee/donation. Unlike the other reviewer, we did not feel pressure to buy the jewelry, but two women in our party decided to anyways.

In terms of making this the main highlight of your to-do list for the day, I would recommend against that, especially if you're staying on the southeast side of the island - the drive is too long/windy (for an American) just to visit here. But it was a perfect 1 hour stop on our way to the airport.

Visited March 2013

Montreal
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

We travelled to the Kalinagi Barana Auté recently and did the tour and watched the dance performance.

Our guide was patient and well informed, though soft spoken and at times difficult to hear. Much of the historical presentation was not new to me, as I had read the information in my guidebook to Dominica. The tour passes along plants which the Kalinago used as herbal remedies or food. This part was interesting but could have been elaborated.

For an additional fee, you can watch a dance performance. My kids loved it. However, after the performance you are invited to purchase jewellery and give a cash donation... There is a very uncomfortable pause where everyone is watching you until you actually do buy something!

The reconstructed village is small. There is someone making traditional cassava bread and it is very good.

At the end we were invited to try basket making. My daughter and I both participated... A great experience!

The baskets are for sale in the village and are of very high quality. I was pressured to buy from the woman who helped me with my basket... That is to say when i went to look at the stalls and saw one i liked, she said "that is the other lady's" and led me to her stall.

The food is very good and of good value.

In general I would say it is a good project put together by the community but could be improved by reducing the pressure to open your wallet every 5 minutes. I would have also liked to have seen other workshops (cassava bread, canoe building, herbal remedies etc). My husband and son found it much less interesting because there was nothing catered to them in terms of workshops.

3 Thank moremanoi