“I actually Snorkeled!”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I actually Snorkeled!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I are recently back from a trip to Antigua. Our travel agent recommended Paddles for a great excursion on the island. I am anxious about watersports and thought I'd just do the kayaking and hiking portion and skip the snorkeling. Well, silly me. Our guides were amazing. They were knowledgable, full of history lessons and recounted wonderful local stories. But the best part for me, after the fascinating kayaking part, the hike up the cliff to view the spectacular views and the viewing of the nesting birds, was actually snorkeling. I have been terrified for years and our brilliant guides, James and Joseph were so patient, kind and encouraging. I actually snorkeled, much to my husband's surprise. I guess you can teach an old dog a new trick!

1 Thank Jaimie L

Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great excursion”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were recently on a cruise and took this as a 4.5 hour excursion. The bus trip over to the site was Interesting, but when we arrived at the beautiful house we knew we were In for a treat. We got into a small motor boat and went to the kayak dock. It was easy getting into the kayaks and we then paddled in a calm and gorgeous bay for about 45 mins. Then back on the boat for a great ride to bird island. We saw nesting pelicans on the way. The color of the water was an incredible turquoise. At bird island we took a short walk to the top for a lovely view, then some people snorkeled and others stayed on the beach for 45 mins. At the end, we went back to the house for juice and banana bread before the drive back to St. John's. I highly recommend this tour, it is a very classy operation.

1 Thank Brit_USA_Traveler
Cambridge, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paddles and Snorkel”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We are a family with 6 children (ages 8 - 18) and found the trip just perfect for us. Easily arranged from our Resort, informative, very friendly staff, safe and well organized. This is a good outing for anyone.

1 Thank Adam T
South Portland, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is the #1 great kayaking adventure tour in Antigua... it took us amongst the mangroves with a few "pit stops" to take a break - our guides were awesome and found some beautiful starfish, (not so beautiful) sea cucumbers (LOL), a big Conk Shell and some Sea Urchins to handle and take pictures. We had a great history lesson on the marine bio diversity and got in some snorkeling and a small hike with breathtaking views! When we got back, Jennie had homemade baked banana bread (with the bananas grown right there on site!) waiting for us with some punch or rum punch for a snack and we just sat back to relax a bit. Jennie & Conrad were gracious hosts in such a beautiful spot they have - colorful flowers and parrots to hang on your shoulders! Thanks to you all - can't wait to come back!

1 Thank SuenDon2
kent
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Purchased tour through shore excursion on cruise ship Celebrity X Eclipse. Cost $57.75 each. Probably best value (cruise ship excursions are very expensive) and most enjoyable excursion that my wife and I have been on. Being a non swimmer and not very fit seemed probably not the greatest thing to do but I need not have worried. The kayaking is in mostly shallow and calm water and my wife and I easily managed the physical aspect of the paddling. The excursion started with a speed boat ride approximately five minutes to where the kayaking started. Twin kayaks. After a brief talk on the way of getting in and how to paddle we set off. James the guide provided us with some interesting facts along the way around the various bays at rest stops. Total time in the kayak around an hour including the rest stops. Got to hold a star fish which James found when we stopped. After the kayaking we went back to the speed boats and had an exhilarating 15 minute journey to Rabbit Island (stopped on the way to see Pelican roost with young). The previous reviewer stated that there was hiking but in reality this was just a stiff climb (4 minutes) upto the top of a hill to see the amazing views over Antigua. There was some time for snorkeling and although I did not partake in this activity the general experience of the other people was that the snorkeling was top quality. On the island there is a very small beach where you can purchase drinks from local vendors and there is a small stall selling t shirts etc at reasonable prices. A fast speed boat ride back to the start (even got to drive the boat) to where we disembarked for a rum punch and banana cake. Toilets (restrooms) were available with seats and tables in the garden of the house to drink the rum punch.. Being on a cruise ship excursion time was fairly tight but I am sure you could have taken as long as you like to enjoy the gardens. All the staff were wonderful and we had a brilliant time. What more can I say!!!!!

Visited February 2013