“Very nice - really enjoyed my stay”

Bonaventure Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Weston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was impressed with the room. I had a room overlooking the golf course and lake with a balcony . It was a I bedroom suite. Very large 1 1/2 bathrooms. Separate shower and tub. Shower was new and fantastic. TV in each room. Room could have been cleaned better and there were alot of stains on the rug. Balcony could have been cleaned and sliding glass doors also weren't wiped but everything else was fine. Nice sheets, lots of towels. Hair dryer ,iron, safe in room. But NO FREE WIFI. $11.95 a day. Way too much for a property like this. Should be free - at least in common areas . The pool area is great. And the spa has a gorgeous gym any guest can use. The staff was very nice. And the bartenders at both bars were fantastic. Dawn, Mitch, Jimmy, Trevor at the main bar. And Ray and Luis at the poolside bar. They are lucky to have such a great staff. The rest of the staff was very nice. All in all I loved the property. Especially that the main areas are all on one floor and accessible from everywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the golf course!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Sue P, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us for your conference. Your kind remarks about our friendly and efficient staff are very much appreciated and we are glad that you enjoyed our relaxing pool area - our guests love the waterfall! We are in the process of trying to reduce or eliminate the wifi charges in guest rooms.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Bonaventure Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Cleaning service was not thorough. Glasses were left dirty. Floor was not vacuumed. Walls are thin so sound from both sides of room permeated our room. It was difficult to get a good night's rest with TV noise from adjacent rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013
Sue P, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at our resort. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced due to the lack of cleaniliness in your guest room (and for your noisy neighbors). We are already addressing the issues you encountered with our Housekeeping team and will take the appropriate measure to improve our performance in this specific area.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

After another long, cold New England winter, my girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights of our ten day trip to South Florida. March 19-22.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and I would consider staying again when in the FLL area.
Rooms were nice/clean enough, but could use some slight renovation such as new carpeting and a little more attention from housecleaning. Dust on room services. Sliding door to balcony looked like glass hadn't been cleaned for two years and lock on door didn't align well. Lite stains on back of curtains. Just little things. Nothing major. But if you're picky and use to modern four stars, you might notice. This hotel was originally built as a Hyatt (room towels still had Hyatt tags) but is showing it's age. Bathroom shower and kitchenette counter were beautiful and real marble. The in room stovetop burners, and microwave were convenient had we wanted to prepare out own food.

Had a family of very friendly ducks that came to visit from the adjacent pond when we sat on the balcony. Girlfriend being an animal lover adored them!

The property was nicely landscaped and clean in a very quiet, relaxing setting. We really enjoyed the main pool and being able to use it late at night with without a closing time. We only wish the poolside bar were opened later than dusk after a long day out. However, the hotel could invest in some new poolside chairs. They were a bit faded and dirty.

Free parking was great. Wifi was way overpriced. Location is about 15-20 miles west of downtown, but doesn't really take any longer to drive than staying equal distance north of south of FLL.

For $100 per night, great value. However, in my option just a little bit short of a true four star. No significant complaints though. This place has a lot of potential! We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view overlooking golf course/ponds
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue P, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel regarding your recent stay with us. We agree it is the perfect getaway (especiall from the cold Northeast) and guests truly enjoy our koi pond and relaxing atmosphere.

We also appreciate your feedback about the cleanliness issues in your room and apologize for any inconveniences you encountered as a result of this. We are working diligently to improve our performance in these areas. We hope you will be able to visit with us again very soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I had booked this hotel for our pre-cruise hotel stay through Hotwire. I was reluctant to book this hotel because it was quite far from Port Everglades Cruise Terminal but all the reviews that I read were positive so I was willing to give it a try. I should have trusted my instincts and not booked here. It was a HORRIBLE experience from the beginning.
I had called on a Friday one day prior to our arrival to confirm our stay and was re-affirmed that we were all set for a room with 2 double beds. Well after a long day of travel nightmares we finally arrived at the hotel at 10:00 pm. We went to check-in and were told that the hotel was over-booked and that they had to bump our reservation to another property across the street. We were utterly disappointed because I was really looking forward to swimming in the pool. They couldn't even give us a reason why our reservation was bumped.
We left the hotel and told the manager at the front desk that we would contact them for a refund when we returned home. After 5 phone calls and a lot of hassles we finally did get our money refunded to us but the problem had already occured. I will NEVER stay here again when there are so many other nice hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area that treat their customers with respect.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank wrigley1980
Michelle S, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

It is truly unfortunate that you experienced a long day of travel nightmares. Perhaps once you discovered your tavels would be delaying your hotel arrival, here or any other destination, you might consider calling to adivse them you are still coming that way a cool drink and pre-checkin might be arranged.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a night following a wedding. We checked in fairly late since, well weddings tend to end late. The front desk staff was fine but really not all that warm and welcoming. I don't much care about that. The lobby was lovely and clean. We drove around to our room. Limited parking, but it was spring break weekend. The room was nice and spacious. The shower was very nice and had good pressure. My critiques would be that housekeeping steps it up a notch. There were smudges around door handles and on mirrors. There was a fine layer of dust on all the molding. The linens were clean. The bed is quite firm. My biggest complaint is the walls are quite thin. You can hear most conversations. Granted we were near the elevator. In the middle of the night someone was smoking near our room and the smoking was being wafted into our room... not a good scenario for an asthmatic like me. I know this isn't the hotels problem, but guests should be much more conscious and go down to the parking lot to smoke.

All in all this a pretty descent place to stay and clean up. I didn't have time to take advantage of the pools. It's near Sawgrass Mills mall which is fabulous. I've stayed at many 3, 4, and 5 star hotels. This one is a solid 3.5. Nice enough though.

Room Tip: Play the Priceline game. It's the only "4" star in the west Fort Lauderdale area. So y...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so very much for recent posting! We absolutely read and act on every comment, the good and the not so pretty. Every review is presented and discussed to our leadership team, who in turn act upon any praise or correction that needs to be made.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in March to celebrate his birthday. Front desk staff upgraded our room to a 1 bedroom suite with a big balcony overlooking the golf course. The room had a small kitchen, 2 bathrooms, living room with a balcony, and a spacious bedroom. We were in building 8 which is in a quieter area away from the main pool. The room was clean and spacious. We ate at Banyan restaurant a few times and the food was always great. I enjoyed the mahi sandwich and my DH enjoyed the pesto shrimp . The staff were all friendly and accommodating which always makes for a better stay. There are 2 golf courses located across the street that we played each day. One was great and the other so-so. They offer 25% off of dining at the clubhouse after a round of golf and the food was yummy there too. I would return to this resort without hesitation, so glad we found it!

Room Tip: building 8 was away from the main pool and bar.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue P, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you very much for taking time to let us know how much you enjoyed your recent stay at our resort. We are especially pleased that our staff provided excellent service and your meals in Banyan restaurant so delicious. The East Course at the Bonaventure Country Club just received a major renovation and our customers are raving about it.

We hope you will be able to visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

SETTING AND ROOM: This is a resort hotel surrounded by beautiful ponds (filled with fish, turtles and Fl birds) and a golf course. It's has great outdoor walking areas. The room we were in was large, clean, had comfortable bed / pillows and a window that opens wide. AC and heat were fine. The flat screen tv was poor quality and tv offerings were minimal. Front desk service was spectacular. People work there who make it a point of letting you know that they really do care about the quality of you stay.

There are multiple buildings and I can see the problem if someone is carrying bags without a car. I didn't ask if the hotel has a golf cart to taking people to their rooms. We were driving and had absolutely no problem finding Building 9. Front desk staff gave us a little map, showed us where we were and told us what to do. There are lots of signs to follow. Our building was furthest from the main building (about 300 feet).

LOCATION - it is a 20 min. drive from Ft. Lauderdale airport and an easy, all highway drive. From this Weston, Fl location, it's another 25 min. to get to Coral Springs. But, 15 min. drive to the east gets you into some beautiful area of the Everglades and Big Cypress is only 30 min. To get to the shore is also 30 min drive.

HOTEL PARKING IS FREE

INTERNET: With this said, it was very surprising to see how uneven were other services. Internet was a nightmare. I couldn't get online and called tech support (there's a phone number that comes up on the screen). It took them 20 min. to get me logged on. The support tech did not have experience with Windows 8. They were nice enough to give me the Internet free while throughout my stay. But, the next night I was cut off again and had to go through process all over. In the end, I found a $20 charge for one day of service. That raises another point. I paid $90 on Priceline for a room. But if I had paid the hundreds of dollars they charge, I'd expect Internet to be free. Good news is that once you are online, it is as quick as my FIOS at home.

Another nickel and dime move on the management's part is the business travel "center." You can print two pieces of paper free of charge OR use the internet for 15 min. free, but then you get charged.

My wife and I were on family trip for 5 days and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to look out your window and see below you, egrets, 20 lb. carp, huge turtles and people...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our resort. We were quite pleased to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and our caring staff - particularly our Front Desk agents. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the charge for internet service - we are currenty in the process of either reducing the fee or simply offering free internet hopefully by the end of this year.

We hope to welcome you and your family back for another enjoyable getaway soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Central Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
#15 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Bonaventure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!