“Just Average”

Bonaventure Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Weston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed in building 3. Like others I do not believe this hotel deserves a 4 diamond rating. My bedsheet had a hole in it, furniture and carpeting was stained, and there was hair stuck to the faucet. The AC vent blew right down on the bed and despite the heat outside I was uncomfortable in the room because of the venting. On the brighter side the staff was welcoming, polite, and helpful - and that was everyone I encountered from the front desk to the maid to the wait staff. I was there on business and worked long days and so didn't have time to golf or go to the spa so I can't include them in my review. There was a channel on the tv that played a continuous 3-5 minute message and tips on "being safe" which made me wonder if there were issues with safety at the hotel. I didn't ask at the front desk but I'm sure if I did I would have been told it wasn't a problem - it did make me rethink walking around alone after dark. My stay was enjoyable and comfortable, I got a great rate and so it was a good value for what I paid - I just don't agree with their 4 diamond rating. I have stayed in nicer 3 diamond hotels and they at least offered free coffee and snacks in their lobby.

Room Tip: I was in Building 3 on the ground floor - would have preferred a room on the upper levels - for safe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
BonaventureMgmt, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for takng the time to post yur review regarding your recent stay. Housekeeping has been made aware of the issues you encounter and will take all needed action. As for the video, we are actually located in a very upscale, safe commnity. However, under our recently new ownership and management we are in the process of installing secured access gates to restrict access to only Bonaventure guests

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I can't believe that this hotel has the rating it does. I went to this hotel with a group. We all stayed in building number four. When I tell you that the room smelled musty - it doesn't begin to explain the strength of the smell. I don't know if this problem is just particular to building number 4 or in all the buildings. As I said, we all stayed in building number 4 and it was awful. All of our rooms smelled harshly of mold and mildew. During our stay, we all developed stuffiness, coughs and headaches. Luckily, none of us have had asthma or the stay could have ended with serious medical consequences. The smell hits you in the face like a brick when you open the door to the room - I'm not beginning to do justice do how badly the room smelled. My husband had a golfing engagement while we were there. Usually, I would love to take an afternoon nap in the room and order room service for lunch because we were away from the kids but the smell was so unbearable that I couldn't stay in the room. It was chilly when we were there but I wrapped myself in towels to sleep by the pool. Eating in the room was out of the question.

Now, for the pool bar. There was a tall man with a shaved head who was the bartender when we were there. He was incredibly rude and sarcastic. We asked for several items from the menu (food and drink) that we were sarcastically told were unavailable and some he said never existed. As our group at the bar increased in number, we decided to move to a table. He acted as if this was such a major inconvenience to him. Nonetheless, we ordered a bunch of food from the menu. The food was average at best. One of the items we ordered were lettuce wraps. He came over to the table to clear some plates and took the lettuce wrap plate despite the fact that there was still a lettuce wrap on it. As he was walking away, I said to my friend, "Were you done with that?" He turned around and gave me a nasty look. At his next visit to our table, he held up an empty plate to me and sarcastically said, "Done?" Understand that we spent almost $300 at this lunch - he should have been much nicer and more accommodating.

The front desk staff was lovely. Very professional and welcoming. The steak house (can't remember the name) also had a very professional staff. The food was good. At the lobby bar, the staff was very friendly.

The spa was the only high point to the hotel. It was immaculate. The spa manager was extremely professional and accommodating. The services were excellent. I had a massage and a facial during my visit. I love massages, but I actually liked my facial better. Ask for Susan. She gave the best facial I have ever experienced. The spa was so far and above the rest of the hotel that I am going to see if I can rate it separately after I finish this review. It doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of the hotel. If you can, stay elsewhere and visit this spa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We have looked into this matter and will immediately research and take all needed actions to address.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

this hotel is a true gem! The service and amenities were great, the accomodations were immaculate, etc. We had a great time. The Bonaventure is great for business or pleasure, couples or families - I think. great place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BonaventureMgmt, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so very much for your positive feedback. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We arrived at this Hotel Sunday night, we did not know what to expect after reading all bad reviews. We were pleasantly surprised with the warm welcome we got, as well as the pleasing atmosphere created by "all" employees. The room was very spacious and comfortable, the balcony and the view from it, was breathtaking (I wish i could take the balcony and the view home). The next morning we took a stroll on the property, and couldn't get enough of all waterfalls and the landscape architecture. In conclusion, It's just a beautiful and very serene place and plan to make it our destination in that area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that balcony face lake, You'll LOVE IT.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
BonaventureMgmt, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful posting. It's always great to hear when a guest has such a wonderful experience that they actually want to, "take the balcony and the view home." We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I required an ADA compliant room and this was provided immediately (unlike other ADA hotel rooms the ADA rooms at Bonaventura only contain one double bed and readers may need to consider this) The hotel areas and pathways are all accessible. We checked in at 10am and rooms were avaialble immediately.

All staff were most helpful and very friendly. Service was excellent from all staff I encountered during my 2 night stay. I do not like to single people out but on this occasion Sari, Trevor and Omar deserve mention.

Room Tip: Room 410-4 was ADA compliant and room 409-4 is the adjoining room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your outstanding review. We hope that the next time you're in the USA you'll come stay with us once again!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our 5-night stay in January 2013 was good, mainly because we were looking to find a nice pool and lots of sun - so Bonaventure definitely delivered in that respect. The main pool area is great; there's a waterfall, bar, lots of shade if you need it and plenty of chairs available for everyone.

Our room was so-so. It was spacious and offered a kitchen with mini-fridge, stove top and microwave - but the bathroom needed updates. Each time we showered, water pooled everywhere on the tile floor, which became quite treacherous. We also noticed a mildew odor, which some other reviewers have mentioned. As far as I could tell, the thermostat didn't work at all...so the damp room was somewhat chilly at night.

The grounds are wonderful. A nature path around the property offers glimpses of ducks and cranes, and just outside the resort's reception area, you'll find coy and swans floating in the water. The view from our balcony included the pool and all the noise that comes with it - but nearly all buildings have rooms that face the golf course, which I'm guessing are quieter.

While I was satisfied with my stay, I'm not sure I would have been, had I paid the "normal" rate. I scored an $86 rate on Hotwire, so my expectations weren't very high to begin with.

Hyatt people: this is NO LONGER a Hyatt property; your Gold Passport status is meaningless at this resort.

Room Tip: Building #4 is closest to the main pool and lobby area. The view from our 4th floor balcony included...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had no idea this spa was right in my community. It was an amazing vacation I had to drive only 15 minutes to. The staff was really welcoming and the services probably the best I have ever had. My sister is getting married (not at the Bonaventure) but I'm planning a brides maid day at the spa Alaya.

Room Tip: went to the spa not the resort
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Vacation Village at Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston

Been to Bonaventure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!