“very helpful staff - pleasant and caring”

Bonaventure Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Weston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel has changed management and is now simply the Bonaventure Resort and Spa. The changeover must have just happened, as they were still trying to sort out the reservation systems and potentially other issues that go along with it.

Our room was an upgrade (thank you Hyatt),and the suite was a very good size, with a very big main bathroom complete with separate shower, low step over tub, and bidet. There was also a separate guest bathroom across from the kitchen. It came with two flat panel TV's, a minibar and an additional not-so-small fridge. Be warned that while you get a microwave and stove, you do not have any pots pans, utensils, dishes, soap or more than two glasses. Also, you cannot see the TV in the living area while using the dining table because of the way the armoire is built.. Our suite had a balcony that faced the main pool, and our building was just a very short walk to the main reception / bar and restaurant. The spa is also near the main building.

You could tell that the staff were having issues with changes, but overall they were very cheery to guests, went out of their way to help (even helping me arrange for tennis lessons across the street at another hotel property), and were always attentive. We had to extend for an extra day to wait out a hurricane before being able to fly home, but the front desk made the transition seamless and easy, even though we had booked through a third party. The staff at the spa were just wonderful and made it a great experience. The hotel staff should be commended for getting through the transition with grace and equanimity.

To top it off, somehow (probably because of the expanse of the place) we never ran into any convention attendants, and so the place remained quite tranquil.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank howho
Joe K, Manager at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We also appreciate your patience during the recent, exciting transition. Every review we receive is important and I'll share your feedback with our staff. Please watch our website and Facebook page for new and fun announcements! We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The rooms are quite well furnished, the bed is comfortable. The hotel covers a very large area with separate buildings, and some rooms are a long way from the main building where reception and the restaurants are located. There is a dramatic swimming pool with a large waterfall.
It is somewhat disconcerting to find that the rooms open off open corridors roofed but otherwise exposed. The main restaurant is OK but not great, and there is also a steak house restaurant which we did not try because the prices were incredibly high, with separate charges for vegetables, salads etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the main building. The rooms are quite well furnished, the bed is comfortable...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. True, we do have "unique" corridors (which many guests actually enjoy). Hope to see to see you back with us soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

the facility may not have been the most modern and may harken back to Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, etc. the resort is very decent and pleasant. the facility has changed hands over the weekend and is no longer a hyatt. the WiFi worked well in the room. the steakhouse restaurant was excellent. the pool had attendants with fresh warm towels and waiters circulating to bring meals or drinks to the pool area. my friend had back problems and when asked they shuffled him around in a golf cart between the meeting rooms and our hotel room. the pool had a waterfall that acted as massage therapy in and out of the hot tub. i took shelter in a poolside cabana during a short rain. for those coming from the west coast of florida, weston is the first town you get to after crossing the everglades on I-75 (Alligator Alley), walla no traffic. what a terrific 23 acre plantation style resort. at $109 nt. it was definately reasonably priced. i left after a 3 day break very relaxed and rejuvenated.

Room Tip: poolside or golf course side
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Not sure why someone would choose to stay in Weston when it is so far from the beaches, airport and action further east. Our reason was we wanted a cheap, clean hotel that was close to our family in Weston--so we visit them and we decoided to stay an extra night and day instead of making a short drive home. The hotel certainly lived up to those minimal expectations but certainly did not wow, and had a bunch of small issues that I will recount below. But first a caveat, the Hyatt sold this hotel to Bonaventure on the first night of our stay, so maybe that explains some of the issues we had--change of ownership. Though I think I understand why Hyatt sold this property.

So I learned at check in at the main part of the hotel that the hotel is broken down into different buildings. Our 1 bedroom suite was in building two, just a short drive--so dont take out your luggage as I did for check in. The staff was friendly and nice and recognized my booking instruction for a crib, which was great, except it never came. Also my door mechanism jammed making it difficult to open the door without a special pull towards me and a kick. It later failed to close fully on me, and a very nice security guard notified me of my ajar door just minutes after I finished a shower. I was happy for that though. The units are garden style so they open out to the open air and parkign lot. you can self park your car in front of the building two area. Valet is available at the main bldg but not at bldg 2 where you are on your own. Also the adjoining interior hotel door was left wide open (presumably by hotel staff) and connected my room with the untenanted unit next to me. At first I thought I had a two bedroom suite by mistake but then I noticed the dual kitchens and mini bars and figured it out. I presume management had to close the adjoining door, as I didnt have time to wait around. The interior of the suite was very nicely appointed and clean and would def get high marks. Except we had a tropical storm (almost hurricane) the weekend before, so my bedroom smelled of wet, dank mildew. This was the worst part, and we decided not to spend the second night as a result. We did not ask for any concessions from the hotel though we did tell mgt. The response: "Oh no!" (literally) and that was it. Nothing more. We didnt ask for anything, so that was were we left it. The next issue was that I was not informed at check in that I would need a parkign pass, though they did give me great driving directions for how to drive my car from the main bldg to bldg two. I called them at night after learnign about it in a handout they priovided me at check in warning about parking passes. I asked for the favor of hotel staff to drop it off. It never came. Of course that was the night of the ownership change, so maybe thats why. [We have 3 over tired kids that I was trying to get washed for bedtime, so I didnt relish walking to the main bldg myself to do it]. the bed were not very comfy and the sofa bed was stiff. Again the room was musty and a bit damp still.
So the nexy afternoon we decided to spend some time at the pool. Unfortunately, all the lounge chairs were taken. The pool area was packed. Apparently, there was a NA (narcotics anonymous) convention at the hotel and they were all out in force at the pool, tatoos and all. The people werent a problem, except for the football that was being thrown over our kids heads at the pool for at least a half hour, and hotel management did nothign to stop it or enforce the pool rules. Well, atleast no one was drinking, so it was not out of hand by any means, just a couple people who didnt care about their neighbors at the pool. We ate at the pool bar and eventually went home a day early. In sum, it was an unremarkable stay. I know the hotel seems to have some restaurants on property that look nice. And our room did have a nice view of the golf course, which was nice. It was pretty quiet too, so all in all it served our initial purpose. we didnt use the spa but it looks like it could be pretty nice. Free breakfast was included for us, but we didnt parttake.

Room Tip: ask for golf course view. Bldg two is not connected to main bldg--short walk or drive. stay in mai...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at the hotel last week. I was in Ft. Lauderdale for shopping. The hotel is convinently located 15 minutes away from Sawgrass Mills and 30 minutes from Aventura Mall. The rooms where very spacious. Bathrooms where a little bit small, but not too tight. We had a small kitchen in our room, so we bought some drinks to put in the fridge.
I could see dust in a lot of places in the room. We threw the trash in a trash can in the kitchen and the next day after the room was made, the trashcan still was full of trash.
The beds where ok, but the sheets had some hairs (that certaninly where NOT mine), so I had to check the bed everyday to make sure it was clean.
It was OK for the price. Probably would stay there again but would make sure the room was propertly cleaned.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary at this hotel. We have stayed here 2 times previously but this time far exceeded our experiences and expectations! This hotel is in Weston, FL...a 15/20 min. drive to Ft. Lauderdale. Weston has everything you could want right there without the hustle, bustle of the big city. Truly a place to relax and unwind! Robert, the manager, greeted us and made sure he accomadated our every need. We were upgraded from a standard room to a gorgeous 2 bedroom suite. We were escorted around for a tour of the lavish grounds by Carl, whom was equally kind and generous. As we unpacked on our room, another staff member brought us a tray of chocolate and strawberries and a bottle of wine to celebrate! The room was BEAUTIFUL and was poolside. It was spacious and the furnishings were modern and upscale. The bedding was plush and luxurious! PERFECT in every way! Robert had also recommended Ireland's Steakhouse (in the hotel) which is rated 5 stars! I can see why.....BEST dinner experience of my life! Such a high end restaurant without the high end stiffness. It was elegant, the staff (Javier and John) were gracious, kind, and accomadating, and the food was out of this world! Even the staff at Ireland's celebrated our anniversary with us. They brought us out a dessert sampler that was beautiful and decadent. We spent one night here and upon checkout Robert even offered us breakfast at the hotel cafe Banyon on him. We declined as he had already been so generous to us! This was truly the BEST hotel and restaurant experience that we have had and we cannot say enough good things about the Hyatt Bonaventure and its staff. Thank you to all who helped make our anniversary getaway truly magical and we will surely return!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Nice room, breakfast included you cant go wrong. Parking is included, this hotel gets you away from busy Miami and you will get more for your money.

Pool area is nice and staff is friendly........ Highly recommended!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Bonaventure Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. It’s great to hear that you found your room to be neatly appointed. It sound like you enjoyed that pool area and found the staff to be very friendly. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Vacation Village at Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston

Been to Bonaventure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!