“I liked it!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, California
“I liked it!”
Reviewed January 27, 2008

I stayed here for one night as part of my recent Miami-Ft. Lauderdale trip.

The advantage of this place is that you can usually get an excellent deal on Expedia or Hotwire because it's in the middle of nowhere over 12 miles west of FLL near I-595. Weston is very suburban, safe, and quiet (which is important as South Florida is notorious for its high crime rate). The hotel has sufficient parking, the lobby is beautiful, and the room interior was clean, lovely, and pleasant. I didn't notice any odd smells (and I have a sensitive nose). The landscaping is well-maintained and gorgeous.

There are two big disadvantages. First, it's in the middle of nowhere and hard to find at night in the dark. If you miss the left turn from State Route 84 to Bonaventure Boulevard, as I did, then you will have to follow SR-84 for two more miles to Indian Trace before you can throw a U-turn under Interstate 75. Do not stay at this place unless (1) you plan to stay on site the whole time or (2) you will be renting a car with GPS.

Second, the architecture is clearly a 1970s version of faux-French colonial, but with cinder block walls, which just looks tacky. The place was apparently formerly owned by Wyndham before Hyatt took over and thoroughly renovated everything. Even though it's been renovated, they didn't stucco the exteriors (to cover up the cinder blocks) and so the architecture just looks silly when you're walking between your room and the parking lot. But that's a minor complaint.

• Liked — Beautiful landscaping, serenely quiet
  • Disliked — Hard to find in the dark, tacky architecture
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank coolcaesar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Greek first
New York, NY
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Got this hotel day of arrival, while it's a schlep outside FLL, it was a really great hotel.
Nice room, great spa/gym, awesome staff with a good pool to boot.
For $105 a night, what a deal.
But thank god we rented a Prius, it's a 15 mile drive back and forth to FLL.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank cpassant
Orlando, FL
Reviewed January 20, 2008

I like to focus my reviews into four attributes. Safety, The Friendliness and efficiency of the Staff, Cleanliness, and Location.

1. Safety - Hotel seemed safe enough. No issues there.

2. The Friendliness of the Staff - I had an allergy attack at check in and needed a tissue. I asked for one. The cashier left for two minutes and advised there were some in the restroom. Just seemed odd.

3. Cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel - foyer light was out. The bathroom sink was stopped up. Room seemed clean enough. Nice flat panel TV.

4. Location - Far from...everything I can think of.

It's...eh. I wouldn't pay as much as I did for this one again.

• Liked — The flat screen TV
  • Disliked — The stopped up sink.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gehrj002
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Not a bad experiece. I reserved the room last minute for $189/night. for a double executive. When I checked in I was upgraded to a suite. I actually needed a king-size bed. The room was bright, modern, confortable, and spacious.

I'm a local (from South Beach) and chose this location b/c my partner and I needed a romantic weekend getaway close-by. Room service was not way over-priced. And the quality of food was decent.

The only problems I saw with the hotel is:
1) The distance from anything! You are almost out in the 'glades. But I obviously knew this so it was ok. The proximity from building to building with the main lobby can be a nuisance to some. I was in buidling 8 and it really was not an issue.

2) The rooms have nice LCD flat panel TV's but the quality of the image is horrendous! It's really a waste of such a nice TV.

3) Worst of all are the Portico Bathroom supplies! YUK!!! I have stayed in many hotels and this was the first time these have almost made me sick. They are over-scented "white ginger" soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bath salts. I had read about these items in a prior review and thought to myself "wow, people complain about everything" but WOW they are gross!!

Another tip for a traveler might be to enrol in the Hyatt's frequent traveler program "Gold Points". I was automatically upgraded to Platinum status and received extra benefits.

In summary, this hotel was what I expected.

• Liked — Nice Room!
  • Disliked — Too many screaming children!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SouthBeachGuy
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Me and my family had an unplanned pleasent stay at the Hyatt regency Bonaventure right after christmas! We had originally booked a room at a Hilton near the airport, but had problems with not getting the room we booked there so we called the Hyatt in the middle of the night and asked for a room. The staff were amazingly helpful and gave us a great room. We were starving when we got there and they even gave us free food from their restaurant as it was the middle of the night on Cristmas day and nothing was open. We had had a long flight and had not eaten in quite a while.
After the first night we asked for an upgrade for suite as we found the regular room to be a little small for us. The room was great, we just wanted a little more room. The staff personally showed us all their different types of rooms and we found a great suite overlooking the lake. It was very clean and very spacious. Had a good size kitchenette, dining area, separate bedroom and one and a half baths. We couldn't have asked for more.
Housekeeping promptly brought us towels when needed, and the food at the hotel was wonderful. The steakhouse lobster and filet was lovely, cooked to perfection, and the waiters made the experience even better. Great service! I also went to the spa and had a wonderfully relaxing facial. The fitness room was big and had a lot of equipment. I never had to wait for equipment. I do wish the treadmill had a better display, but it still served its purpose. Overall we had a great stay! The cocktails were also just heaven, especially their apple martini from the bar by the lobby. We will definately go back!

• Liked — spa, food, pool, spacious rooms, poolside bar
  • Disliked — crowded by main pool, but can get private pool so can be avoided.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank RitaN
USA
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I stayed at this facility 12-31-07 to 1-4-08 I was a parent with a group of high school band students. Our group list had been finalized in Oct. 2007 and reservations made. This facility post a check in time of 3pm. By about 6pm we were given our group's room keys there were at least 10 rooms that were not available. It was almost 8pm when the last of our group got a room.
Our room was just ok I had to make the staff understand that 4 guest needed at least 4 washcloths and 4 towels. This was a fight more than once. One child called the desk and asked for towels and was asked if they couldn't share. I do not expect to share washcloths or towels anywhere.
Teenagers without an adult were placed in rooms with fully stocked wet bars. We had been told the alcohol would be removed chaparones cannot be in every room all the time. I had to go to the front desk to obtain towels on 01-01-08 to be able to shower prior to a party at this time I was given towels and a room key without any request for ID just room Number I could have asked for a key to any room and gotten it. I see this as a very big security problem. We as a group were keeping a close check on our kids day and night but you can't have the hotel giving out keys to just anyone who asks for them. They did not even make sure it was my room.1 star is the lowest rating available if there had been a 0 star option I would have taken it.
The facility was reasonably clean and ok to look at so if you do not want to have enough towels and want strangers to have as much access to your room as you do while you are out this is the place for you. As for me I will never return.
The walls were very thin I could hear my neighbors talk, snore and any other sounds that were occuring.

• Liked — the pillows
  • Disliked — lack of security,delays in check in and having to feel like i had to bed for towels for a bath
  • Stayed December 2007
2 Thank momof2Usa
Jupiter, FL
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt Bonaventure for a conference.

While the staff was friendly, the accomodations were lacking.

Despite being a Hyatt Gold Passport member, I was put in a room to the rear of the main building. The rooms open up to an outside walkway, giving the "hotel" more of a "motel" feel.
I could also see daylight through the door jam and the trash dumpster are in the back of the main building, so my morning alarm clock was the sound of a trash truck backing up.

The food in the hotel restaurant is of good quality and the hotel touts the quality of its' spa, although I did not use it.

• Disliked — Trash trucks picking up trash in the AM outside my room
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Central Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
#15 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,608 reviews
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
#14 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,928 reviews

Been to Bonaventure Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!