“This was ideal for our family”

Vacation Village at Weston
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My mother-in-law owns a timeshare through RCI and this is her "home" property (Vacation Village at Weston) - we had never been there before but she gifted us a certificate to stay there. We had both the Unit A and the Unit B in the Osprey building - a common hallway connects both Unit A and Unit B but they have separate entrances. It was perfect for my family as the kids stayed in the smaller Unit B and us parents stayed in Unit A. It was well maintained, clean, and quite attractive - the A Unit was especially nice and large including a great jacuzzi tub. The B Unit didn't have that as it was less elaborate although it was fine for 2 people. We didn't spend much time on the resort as we spent our days in the city - either in Fort Lauderdale (about a 20 minute drive) or Miami (about a 45 minute drive) but the kids got in the pool a few times and liked it. You definitely need a car if you are staying in Weston, but once you have the car it is an easy drive to Fort Lauderdale. Weston is a pretty although somewhat sterile country club type of area, plenty of gated communities, etc. There is not much to do in Weston although there are stores and restaurants for supplies. Note - the streets are super dark here at night, there aren't many street lights, and we got lost in the Weston streets a bunch of times at night trying to find Vacation Village. We felt safe the whole time because of the elite-type of environment - just lost at night. It was a little confusing. Vacation Village Weston appeared to have a kid program with activity but we didn't participate. They do have free coffee at the pool every morning and the pool hours were very good, it was open early and stayed open until late. We are glad we stayed at my mother-in-law's timeshare here and we will be asking her to use it again, I'm sure! The check-in and check-out was very quick, and although they did the typical invitation for us to attend a special breakfast (the time share sales pitch) and did try to entice us with a few "gifts" (more time share sales pitch), it wasn't a hard sell, they took a polite no very easily and did not ask us again, they did not come on strong at all nor was it uncomfortable for either party when we said thanks, but no thanks - they were very friendly and polite and didn't push us after that. One really helpful document they gave out when we checked in was a package of directions to all sorts of different attractions in the area - it came in very helpful! Also they gave us a Vacation Village type of membership/discount card that was great, it provided us with discounts at various attractions and restaurants. The Publix is close to get all your supplies to cook your breakfast, etc. in your unit. You need to go offsite to get food, I didn't notice any place to get food on the resort. They did have a stand selling fruit smoothies at the pool but that was about it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank clamc40
Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed December 11, 2007

We found this place through RCI (Timeshare) and used our points to stay there.

Before arriving, we were confused by how the rooms were set up. We stayed in the Ibis building where even numbered rooms have a view of the pool. All units are setup as A-B's. There is a door from the hallway to a room #, like 314. Once inside, there is an entryway to two more doors, one for the A unit and one for the B unit. We had one A-B unit and one B unit. Our group was 7 people (2 couples and a couple + child). The A-B unit was suitable for 5 and the B unit for 2 people. However, the pullout sofa left a little to be desired. In addition, it was slightly awkward to be in the single B unit, sharing a hallway door with strangers in the A unit next door. A units have a full kitchen with a stove. We were impressed with the amount of kitchenware provided in the room. This was essential as we prepared an entire Thanksgiving dinner. B units do not have a stove and there is no dining room; only a table up against the wall when you walk in the door.

The rooms were very clean and housekeeping came every 4th day to clean up and change towels. There were plenty of towels though you do have to use room towels for the pool. One negative is that the B unit's cable was terrible. We called to have it fixed and were told someone would be right up but they never came to fix it. Also, there was only a VHS player in the room. However, the A units are equipped with a large screen TV and every room has its own balcony.

The pool was nice but would get busy during the day. It was nice that the pool was open until 11PM (jacuzzi too). Unfortunately, the jacuzzi was broken for a few days while we were there but was great when it worked.

We had little interaction with the staff other than the cable issue but everyone seemed friendly.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank candcchicago
Reviewed November 8, 2007

We were fortunate enough to use my boyfriend's family's timeshare for a week at Vacation Village. Our "A" unit was in Osprey. It was very clean and comfortable. We used the main pool a couple of times and the work out room once. We did go to the pancake breakfast, but it was odd that there was no bacon or sausages to accompany the pancakes, just beverages.

We made the mistake of attending the time share sales pitch. We had no idea that lunch, looking at the unit and filling out a survey was actually this: you go to the Welcome Center (which is in need of renovation) to meet your agent, then you go to lunch with them at the Bonaventure Country Club down the street. In our case we took the agent in our car. I thought it would be a buffet followed by a group talk, not a lunch with a total stranger. The lunch was disappointing as there was no dessert and only one beverage choice. Then we got in the car again to drive to the unit in the Mizner building. Then we all go back to the Welcome Center for the pitch by the agent followed by two more agents. It was a frustrating 2 hours, but we have learned our lesson. Why do they think that is the way to sell their product?

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Dadoo222
Reviewed November 7, 2007

My parents stayed at the Vacation Village at Weston, we stayed at Mizner Place just down the road. We toured their loding and resort and it was very nice. The rooms were very large with the option for a lockou unit next door to the larger units. Both were 1 bedroom units, one had a full kitchen and one a partial kitchen and I think you have the option to rent both if you want to put the kids in one and adults in the other. The grounds were nice and staff were very accomodating and the pool was very large and had a waterfall. It is next to a major iterstate, so their was a small amount of traffic noise but not much. No timeshare pitch was even talked about. It is about 12 miles from the airport and next to the everglades, and only about 6 miles to downtown Lauderdale and the beach which is an easy drive. The nice thing is that there are 5 or 6 other resorts in the area that you can use all of the facilities at with your room key. Many of the restaurants in the area gave a discount for staying at one of the resorts and about 2 miles down the road is a Publix, Wallgreens, and also an outdoor mall with a variety of shops and services. It was very enjoyable for my parents and we spent as much time there as we did down the road at Mizner Place. I would definitely recommend this resort, as traffic is not bad in this area and it is on the outskirts of Lauderdale and pretty quiet. Contact me with any questions and thanks.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank robonel
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Our stay at this hotel was nice, but it was afterwards that was terrible. When we got home, we discovered we had been double-charged for our two nights. After two months and "let me transfer you to....." crap, this situation has not been resolved. The people that I have spoken with on the phone are very unprofessional and don't want to fix their mistake. They are only concerned about making money. They were rude and very disrespectful in not returning phone calls. Go the Hilton where employees treat their vacationers like movie stars. This place certainly doesn't.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KAH78
Reviewed September 17, 2007

This resort, while a little out of the way, but was as advertised. Though we stayed in one of the older buildings, the unit was up to date, clean and a pleasure to stay in. We did not use any of the resort amenities, except for the nearby Bonaventure Country Club. This was very overrated and is just a normal public course in average condition. Wi-fi was not available in our building and we had to go to the check in area to use the free internet access. Adequate, but a little inconvenient.

DO NOT TAKE THE RESORT PROPERTY TOUR!!! We were offered a free breakfast and a $75 gift card for "looking at a new unit and submitting a review." We asked if this was a sales presentation and were told no. This was a lie and we walked out after spending almost 2 hours and a VERY HARD CORE / HIGH PRESSURE SALES presentation. Believe me, it is not worth your time.

Overall, we would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2007
5  Thank garyv47
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Just stayed one week at the Vacation Village in Weston. The resort has very nice rooms...I stayed in a A unit per request so that I would have a kitchen for a week...The A units are quite large and roomy and very clean and well decorated...The grounds are well taken care of and the Weston pool is very nice. But I doubt I will go back to this resort because of the staff, management and the lack of activities and terrible internet service.

The Internet constantly went up and down for the entire week...Even though I was on vacation I still needed to check mail for work and take or join in on a conference call if needed for work. The resort's IT department and Internet service is terrible. I contacted management about it and some manager on duty "Juan" had the nerve to try and tell me that its no big deal because this is a "free service". The manager also stated that he has problems with his IT person returning calls and resolving problems in the after hours of 9-5. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Plus the manager continued to make excuses which I didnt appreciate at all either.

Other minor issues, are RCI tried to contact me daily to sell me their timeshares at the resort. Very annoying. They keep calling no matter how many times you politely try to tell them you are not interested.

The resort has no dvd players but vcr players. I dont know about you. I havent seen a VHS in years. I dont think they even make them anymore. And to get one through the resort you have to pay $25 bucks. With another $25-30 bucks you can buy a crap DVD player.

Last note on the Internet. No Internet access from the rooms. You have to go to the lobby which can be a major inconvenice for those in buildings far from the Reg/Lobby. There are alot of other resorts in the Weston and Weston is a nice upscale and fantastic area. Weston is consumed with golf courses. I highly doubt I will return to the Vacation Village. I believe this resort is way behind the times and cheap on certain basic things that almost all resorts in the USA offer.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank dainfsimp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Weston
2 mi away
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston

Been to Vacation Village at Weston? Share your experiences!