“Stay away”

Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Weston
Illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2006

We fell into this booking hook, line, and sinker! We were booked by "Ramada Plaza Resorts" and they stole our money on this one. From the time we arrived up until we left is a trip we will never forget. No cleaning service, no linens, no collection of garbage, and you had to get clean towels on your own. When we called the front desk for service (the "welcome book" states the rooms will be cleaned and linens changed ever 4 days) they stated that since we were "Ramada Plaza guests" that we had no service! Imagine that! We paid a total of $838 for one week and it was the worst vacation I ever had. Stay away from here! LB - Illinois

• Stayed: March 2006
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 23, 2006

We recently stayed at this property, aquiring the suite through Expedia. Here are the facts:
1) Check in was very slow, however, we had a trainee who had no idea what she was doing. While standing there, I watched the "employee of the month" (as per her badge), check in three families.
2)As stated in a prior review, the check in is somewhat "Disneyesque"...they roll a lot of people through here!
3) Since we were only a one night stay, we did not have any problems with being sold on the property.
4)This is a very "senior" resort...my parents, who were with us, are also seniors, and laughed when I told them I felt like I was in a scene from "Cocoon" and wondered if everyone swam with the pods in the pool.
5)We were in a suite in the Ibis building. It smelled like rotten fruit throughout the main hallways. I felt that the halls were very austere and looked institutional. To our family, it looked like a nursing home in the hallways.
6) Our suite was very spacious, however, the floor was filthy. Our feet turned black within a very short time.
7) The pullout sofa in the living room was broken and both the pillows and mattress smelled like sour milk.
8) The sunken tub in the master bedroom was very nice, however, it's location afforded little privacy. The bathroom was oversized (nice), but dwarfed the toilet and shower stall.

The location of the property makes for easy access to Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood, and was extremely convenient relative to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Check out time was inconvenient (10:00 AM), and cannot be extended. We did not make use of facilities on the property, including the pool, so I can only comment on the check in procedures and suite. I would consider staying there again, however, not for the price we purchased it at on Expedia.

• Stayed: January 2006
19  Thank prpro
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I just returned from a three night stay here and overall I was generally pleased except for one minor mishap they failed to adequately take care of.

As noted below, this is a timeshare resort that I think also rents out on a nightly basis. What you get in return is a either a large one bedroom apartment or a smaller one bedroom apartment. My parents always trade their timeshare for a "two-bedroom" which is the smaller one bedroom and larger one bedroom combined. I love this setup because it enables me to have my own apartment, but yet be next door to them. The apartments themselves are spacious and the larger one bedroom comes with a giant screen television and a cute deck that overlooks the golf course. I think it even has a jacuzzi tub and a very large bathroom.

Our one mishap this time was that there was a flood in the bathroom of my apartment. One of the toilet parts was out of whack and it cost a minor flood in the bathroom which spread to the carpetting in my bedroom. I called the front desk and an army of men came almost immediately to assess the damage. They repaired the part and mopped the floor but for some reason were unable to dry-vac the rug. They promised to return the next day and even with extra phone calls the next day never returned. Hence, my room had a bad odor for two days.

They resort offered to change my room, which I thought was an acceptable resolution, but I just thought it was not worth it. I will say that on my prior trips this year I stayed at two four seasons and the management's immediate response to this was on par with the quickness you normally would find at a higher end resort. I think the real problem here is that these apartments are in dire need of an upgrade. Two years ago I stayed at the Vacation Village at Weston and those apartments were really lovely. They are essentially the same as the ones at Bonaventure but the furnishings are more on par with a higher end resort.

One thing to note about this resort is that it is 25 miles from the beach. IF you are going to Ft Lauderdale for the beach don't stay here. Stay here if you like golf - because of the propensity to the bonaventure country club - or if you like to spa - the goldendoor should be opening in a few months. There is also an excellent tennis facility adjacent to the resort. Weston itself is a beautiful planned community with some great restaurants and shopping centers, but it is more geared towards the suburban family than the curious tourist.

This resort also draws a lot of families, so if you are looking to escape kids do not go here.

• Stayed: January 2006
23  Thank beachbug
Binghamton NY
Reviewed December 17, 2005

I had read several mixed reviews on this place. My hubby and I stayed with another couple in a 3 bdrm in the Egret Building. The grounds were beautiful- Egret is located a little ways away from the main building, but if you rent a car, you will be fine. Our building was spotless and the lobby tastefully decorated. Our suite was very beautiful and spotless. There was a big dining room, big screen tv, two bathrooms, big kitchen, and an awesome whirlpool tub. There was a screened-in balcony. There werent any bugs tho... however, one morning, we noticed that they might be due to the various lizards that found there way to our screen! It was nice, because you could walk out and right to a private pool just for this building, which was always quiet. If you want somewhere away from the tourists, and just want to relax, this is perfect!! We chose to spend everyday in Ft Lauderdale and on the Las Olas Blvd... and the Riverfront, where we found many great restaurants and bars. There was even a place, for cheap lunches... MAXS GRILL, also from the resort, you will find the WORLDS largest outlet malls just 10 minutes away... It only took us 20 min to get to and from the beaches in Fort Lauderdale, and we did so 2x every single day! It was nice to spend the night in a quiet resort though. We made a really great decision staying here, and would definitely go again!

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Reviewed November 7, 2005

After finding out my reservation from another website did not even reach my desired hotel I was in a bind. Due to Hurricane Wilma it seemed all the hotels in South Florida was booked. I found this hotel and called them at midnight and they saved my weekend getaway. The clerk was very helpful and understanding and reserved my room for me and I checked in 1 hr later. The room was more than I expected. Living room, 1 bath, 1 bedroom, and a kitchen with everything but a stove. Room was very clean and cozy. I will be going there again. Plus when you check out they have a representative in the lobby of your building to take your keys and go over if any charges to your room and that's it. No walking back to the registration building where you checked in. Priceless!

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Palm Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I bought a stay at this time-share resort via Sky Auction and was very plesantly surprised with the results. The resort is actually located in a suburb of Ft Laude5rdale called Weston. It is surrounded by golf courses. The unit was on the 6th floor and had a king-size bed, a Jacuzzi, a large screen TV, a full kitchen and a sizable balcony as well as a dining room table for 6. The resort had daily activities for both adults and children as well as several swimming pools, a computer room and an exercise area. There were a number of restaurants and markets within about 1 mile and the resort would provide a shuttle to these. However, if you want to venture to places like the beach, the huge discount mall at Sawgrass or the Seminole Hard Rock Casino, you'll need a car. The staff was very plesant and helpful. I might also mention that I have had good success using Sky Auction but you have to be willing to wait til the last minute, literally, and get that bid in quickly.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2005

This is my second time here and we were very pleased, our room was immaculately clean top to bottton, all linens were fresh and clean, plenty of towels and whirlpool tub in bedroom, very relaxing, We were in a A unit which is a large size 1 bedroom apt. The location suited my husband and myself well, we were 30 minutes from South Beach, we went there 2 days, then we took a drive to the Keys that was about 2 hours to get half way down, but we were on vacation so we didnt mind the drive. We were about 20 minutes from Ft lauderdale beach at Las Olas Blvd, fun there too. I like to party too but when it comes to unwinding i like the quiet setting Vacation Village has to offer, the pool area nice, and every nite at the country club half price drinks from 4-8pm, and Thursdays ladies drinks $1.00 till 6-10pm we enjoyed that too. We were very pleased with our stay here and would not hesitate to go back again. The only reason i didnt give a perfect score is because they do need to have washers and dryers in the units. But i just did laundry down the hall, each floor has a laundry room.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank Dana M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Vacation Village at Weston
Comfort Suites Weston  - Sawgrass Mills South
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Weston
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Towneplace Suites Fort Lauderdale Weston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills

Been to Vacation Village at Bonaventure? Share your experiences!