Casa Grandview Historic Luxury Inn, Cottages and Suites
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nova Scotia
“Unique”
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Wonderful two night stay, wish it was two weeks. Took the Green Car down to City Centre and did everything a tourist should do without the hustle and bustle expected.
Had no problem figuring out what was shampoo and what wasn't.
I have rented condos around the same price all over the States but have not duplicated the quality. Cheryl, Kirk and Heather would be welcomed neighbors.
Look forward to another visit in March!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Boston
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Casa Grandview and the accommodations were simply stunning. We stayed in the South Beach Art Deco bungalow and it was just divine. The bedroom (and luxurious sheets) were beyond wonderful... and it was wonderful to get up in the morning and fix our own breakfast. The proprietors keep the kitchen(s) fully stocked... from food and drinks to dishes/utensils and pots.

Casa Grandview has two beautiful pools... which are also tucked away and private. They also have free bike rentals... perfect for an early morning ride to Palm Beach.

We would definitely stay at Casa Grandview again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Indy
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I stayed at the Casa Grandview less than two weeks after the attempted Christmas day airline bombing. Because of the increased screening, we were delayed at the airport for a requested check-in time. The proprietor, Cheryl, was so enraged by our being “late” that she verbally abused my son in front of me for being so inconsiderate of her as to be late. When she went to complete our check-in on her “new” computer, she could not get the computer to respond. She immediately started calling for her son and demanded that the staff find him. She berated her son in front of us for not informing her as to the correct way to use the program, which he reminded her that he had already done.

As to the “luxury accommodation”, it was so dark inside the bungalow because of all the vegetation growth on three sides that even the windows were dark.

When I pay extra for luxury, I expect such things as lotions, robes, and even to differentiate between what is shampoo and what is soap in their automatic dispensers in the shower, which were absently unlabeled. We also had to request kleenex and additional toilet paper. The proprietor praised the area's "muffins" and gave us Winn-Dixie baked goods (luxury? or was this punishment for being late, even though we were there for seven days?)

There were two televisions in our cottage, as per the advertisement in the brochure, but what they neglect to relate, is that the television in the living room is connected to satellite but the television in the bedroom is not and is only able to be used for DVD watching. When my son called Cheryl to find out why the television in the bedroom would not work, she again stormed at him that she already informed him of that fact, which she had not.

Never once in the 7 days that we were there did Cheryl ask us if there was anything we needed, was everything satisfactory, etc. etc. On the whole, I was happy to leave behind the biggest cockroach I have ever seen, and I will stay elsewhere the next time I wish to pay extra for “luxury accommodations.” If we had not had to pay for our accommodations up-front, we would have shaken the sand off of our feet and headed elsewhere immediately!

• Stayed January 2010
11 Thank mdhfpaint
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I recommend taking your vacation at Casa Grandview when the proprietor is on vacation herself.

In writing this overview, I cannot comment much upon the grounds of Casa Grandview as I experienced little of them. This is true because I stayed in the confines of my rental, the Key West Cottage, primarily because I wanted to avoid Cheryl, Casa Grandview’s proprietor.

The reason? My first fifteen minutes for a week’s stay here proved to be that unwelcoming.

At the time of my reservation, I had requested an early check-in via email. However, I never received a response to my inquiry, except a confirmation of my total amount due that indicated check-in was at 3 p.m.

So when I arrived to this “luxury resort rental” at approximately 3:30 p.m., imagine my surprise when I was chastised for “being late” and that she had “waited around” for the 1:30 p.m. requested check-in. Even after I apologized for the misunderstanding (????), the proprietor berated me further, reminding me on three separate occasions during those fifteen minutes that I was tardy and had inconvenienced her. This, as she pontificated about Casa Grandview and its many rules (she told my seventy-year-old mother not to use a white washcloth to wipe her make-up off and told me I had parked in the wrong spot even though I was legally parked on the street). Immediately, I was questioning in my head the reservation I had made. Then, she left me waiting as she discussed her computer woes and the cost of advertising on Trip Advisor.

The next day, when I phoned her about the TV/DVD combination in my bedroom (a specific reason I had selected this particular space as I was told there was a TV in the bedroom and the website indicates they have “Premium Satellite Service With Music/Movie Channels”), the proprietor didn’t say, “I’m sorry for the TV confusion” but instead said, “I told you at check-in that the TV in the bedroom was with the DVD player only.” The pattern was clear that she would consistently be speaking to me as if I was a child rather than the nearly-50-year-old educator, paying customer, and patron that I was. I was so off-put by her condescending tone and belittling behavior that I chose not to walk the grounds, never visited the “complimentary DVD library” for my DVD-only TV (why is there satellite service in the cottage but only for the living room television?), never said anything about the giant cockroach in the cottage, and I never inquired where our absent spa robes were. To enhance my disappointment, neither of the proprietors (Kirk or Cheryl) checked in with us even once during our seven-day stay to inquire about how our visit to their home might be going.

In other words, I wanted nothing to do with the proprietor and her moodiness, and she apparently felt the same about her consumers. I’m not accustomed to spending my hard-earned money to receive such uncongenial and unneighborly service in a world of competition, poor economy, and other options. In the B & B business, hospitality is key. I didn’t think it too much to expect warmth, appreciation, and a welcoming greeting. While our overall space was mostly comfortable, the host made me feel quite uncomfortable. I cannot recommend Casa Grandview to anyone who’s trying to rest and unwind because they may, instead, find tension and unease.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank Throbbert
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Barefoot Bahama Breeze Cabana for three days over Christmas. What a good choice for a special holiday! The resort location in a West Palm historic district is wonderful. We enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and the nearby park. The beach and the shops of Worth Ave were about a mile and a half east of the property. And the City Place shopping mall with many restaurants and shops, a grocery and a movie theater was near enough to walk.

The suite itself was beautifully and thoughtfully decorated. Everything was very clean and in great condition. My husband really enjoyed the flat screen LED TV. The grounds and pools are tropical, lush and private.

Best of all were the owners. They were genuinely interested in their guests having an enjoyable stay. They even had a sumptuous brunch on Christmas morning where we got to meet other guests.

This just may become a holiday tradition!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Elkton Md
Reviewed December 9, 2009

My host made the time I spent an enjoyable , Interesting and entertaining time I will remember for many years to come. My thanks to Kirk,& cheryl

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
new jersey
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We booked a stay at Casa Grandview as a result of the TripAdvisor Reviews....and there were NO dissapointments. Cheryl and staff were very friendly and helpful...yet not intrusive at all. Our cottage was just perfect. A very comfy feel as soon as you walk in..the bed was so comfortable...nice flat screen tv and couch and the kitchen was wonderful. A few of the nights we actually ordered in and watched the World Series and Football games. The grounds are so pretty, the pools were wonderful, private and clean. One day we decided to head to the beach and they provided beach chairs, towels and umbrella.... We would highly recommend this Resort without a doubt...and will be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
The Chesterfield Palm Beach
The Chesterfield Palm Beach
#3 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Colony Hotel
Colony Hotel
#5 of 10 in Palm Beach
The Brazilian Court Hotel
The Brazilian Court Hotel
#4 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham West Palm Beach

Been to Casa Grandview Historic Luxury Inn, Cottages and Suites? Share your experiences!