“Six stars is not an available option”

Casa Grandview Historic Luxury Inn, Cottages and Suites
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Six stars is not an available option”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm almost scared to share this secret gem in fear I won't be able to get back in when I want to!! My husband and I booked Casa Grandview for the Dave Matthews concert because I waited too long to book our regular accommodations at the Ritz Carlton in Palm Beach. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it ended up to be the BEST thing that could have happened and I probably won't bother going back to the Ritz unless it is to use the spa as Cheryl has thought of absolutely every amenity possible. We also towed our boat over as after the DMB concert we were heading to the Keys for mini season lobstering. My husband was concerned about parking the boat for those two days, but Cheryl was so very accommodating and gracious and gave us multiple options and it all worked out perfectly!! Upon arrival, their wonderful Innkeeper showed us our reserved room, which was as expected and would have been perfect. However, she then showed us a possible upgrade, which we took, and it was amazing.
The main house only has three rooms, then there are cottages (actually houses), pool cabana units, and deco units. I was able to see multiple other units other than the Key West that we stayed in and I can tell you all of the ones I saw were absolutely wonderful and I can't imagine anything less from the units I didn't see. Cheryl definitely has a flair for decorating that makes everything feel very homey, inviting, and comfortable. She chooses the highest quality of furnishings, decorations, linens, towels, and toiletry items. We had the most plush Nautica towels (I wish I could find those for home!), soft sheets, Gilchrest and Soames bath gels, shampoo, and conditioner, etc. Upon arrival our kitchen refrigerator was stocked with soda and water for our convenience (complimentary!!!). I could easily stay at the Key West cottage indefinitely with only my clothing. She has thought of everything. The kitchen is fully stocked, I'm an avid cook, and although this trip did not entail any cooking, I would not have had to bring a single kitchen item. All of the outdoor pool areas and surrounding gardens and walkways are absolutely amazing. There are numerous gas grills situated outside along paths for use, as well as lounge chairs and hammocks. Music plays outside on the front and side porches and there are a number of places to sit and relax or visit. The property would be fabulous for a family reunion or a large group gathering. The previously raved about breakfast is amazing!!! Virtually anything you want. The banannas foster french toast is highly recommended, as well as the western omelet, the guava pastries, or just about anything else you can think of! The location is great and within walking distance to City Walk and a number of shops and restaurants and just a short drive or even a bike ride (bike are available on site) to the waterfront. I'd like to plan a girls' getway to Casa Grandview, but I know my husband will be disappointed as he thoroughly enjoyed the stay as well. I can not fathom how anyone could be disappointed, this is truly an amazing property maintained by owners that clearly choose quality and provide a wonderful experience.

2 Thank Lori S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've traveled a lot of places both domestic and internationally, and I must say without hesitation,
Casa Grandview West Palm is one of the most peaceful and tranquill getaways I've had in recent years. The accommodations/property is absolutely beautiful, and maticulously maintained...I felt like I was on my own private little island. Every need was met!! Oh and yes, the breakfast was excellent/first class :-) Cheryl, Kirk, Yajaira, and Paco were very gracious and attentive. Hands down...I will be making several repeat visits in the very near future and years to come.......happy, happy, happy;-)

Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Casa Grandview is the perfect getaway or a vacation. So friendly, beautiful and quite. Sheryl and Curtis were excellent host.
Breakfast was excellent, the Black Bean Cake is a Must !!. They also have bikes ( which are complementary, it is the only way to get to see the area & is another must do to enjoy the area. Is walking distance to City Place and very close to Downtown. The rooms are clean with many amenities, so convenient if you are here for a weekend or a longer stay. We will go back for sure.

Room Tip: The Guest House is so quite and convenient
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This property is absolutely gorgeous! The owners have taken such great care in keeping the details of the history that goes along with the property! When we arrived we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to their Penthouse room because it was going to be available. We checked both rooms out (the orginal one we booked and the upgraded Penthouse) and knew that the Penthouse would be fun to stay in. We were not charged any extra money for the upgrade, which we did not expect but were pleasantly surprised and happy about. The owners are very friendly and so accomodating with anything that you want for breakfast (even with dietary issues). The Penthouse room is stunning! A lot of big furniture that states royalty. The jacuzzi tub and the huge shower was a plus! The cleaniness of the entire B&B was to be admired! I would defintely recommend this B&B to anyone looking to relax and feel pampered!

Room Tip: Penthouse room was a pleasant temperature for sleeping!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

A husband's perspective...My wife & I have stayed in well over 50 inns in the US... this is my first review..

As a Florida resident, we opted to have a quiet "backyard" 5 nite vacation to celebrate our 25 th anniversary ! After researching and viewing comments on trip advisor, we chose to reserve a room that met our desires at Casa Grandview. The cottage we selected was the Cooc Plum. From the descriptive reviews of the rooms, this is the room that we wanted and did receive formal confirmation for. The reservation was made 5 weeks prior.

The day before arrival, I called the Inn to see if they could arrange for a surprise rose floral arrangement in the Coco Plum. Yaraida confirmed that she could.
Upon arrvial.. the day of the anniversary, Cheryl met us and had a lengthy conversation about the area (20 minutes). It was then that she proceeded with tour and eventually taking us to our "cottage".. After a few minutes within the "house", my wife asked whether this was the Coco Plum?( as it sure wasn't like the website). Cheryl advised that no it wasn't, but we have been "ugraded" to the Charleston! ..We have a "house " in Florida and wanted specifically to stay in a cottage. Specifically per the contract confirmation .. "the Coco Plum" cottage.

For the guys out there, this would have been a great retreat for about 15-20 of our fraternity brothers! Massive porch, but little furniture except for the bar. Perfect for the frat guys ! The inside had 2 rooms with large screen tv's . One room had two couches and other chairs arranged perfectly for a super bowl party ! Was told that there was an upstairs with a big jacuzzi, but realized that I didn't want to see it. This was after Cheryl told us another gem about the "house"... It was just "FUMIGATED" yesterday !! My old Frat Brothers would have been thrilled..!

At this point, we advised that we just wanted the Coco Plum as we agreed to and went back to the office. We were advised that someone else wanted to rent it for 11 nites, so they gave it to them! Cheryl said that they were already there fore 5 nites and obviously had 6 more nites to go.
I asked Cheryl, why didn't you "upgrade" them to the Charleston(?).. Didn't get an answer, but was pretty obvious . I then asked about any available comparable cottages. There were none. She did mention a couple rooms in the hotel, including one that was small and had no air-conditioning !

It became very apparent that our reservation at Casa Grandview was meaningless. They obviously felt that if we got there, the chances were that we would have to take it.

We decided that we would not check-in and just leave. Cheryl then apologized again & again, thinking that we should have been contacted by Yaraida about the upgrade. Of course, we were not contacted. If we were, we would have said ,no. Cheryl then made an offer for a "free nite" in one of the hotel rooms, including the penthouse with 20 stair flights up.
I stated again, that we did not want the hotel nor a house. Our reservation was clearly for the speciifed Coco Plum cottage, with no conditions.

Fortunately, this happened in our "backyard, so we were able to drive an hour back to our home.

Thanks to the Casa Grandview for the memorable "vacation" and the anniversary "present"; giving our selected cottage to others and offering us the fumigated house upgrade !

Beware !
ps.. wish we would have read trip advisor reports back in 2011 and 2012, instead of just recently. "leopards don't change spots, they just hide them"..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank mark h
wholoveslucy, Owner at Casa Grandview Historic Luxury Inn, Cottages and Suites, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was sorry you chose not to stay with us, and did not have an opportunity to experience our property or vacation homes. Thank you affording us the chance to respond to your opinion of our property. We offer private, self-catering vacation cottages with high end furnishings, luxury amenities, and state of the art technology as advertised on Flip Key. This option offers an entirely different experience than an inn or hotel stay. Guests can enjoy a getaway with privacy, little or no interaction or intrusion, the ability to stay in, cook, grill, or opt for delivery, and most importantly relax—even on the rare day the weather is not cooperating.

Your reservation request was handled by Yajaira, a lead team member. We often receive accolades from guests regarding her desire to assist and go the extra mile. You may recall you spoke about a last minute request for roses the day before your visit. As mentioned when we met, our records indicate she sent an e-mail to the address you provided offering a complimentary upgrade at no cost to you, and three weeks prior to your anticipated arrival. You stated due to Spam you do not check e-mail. We wonder had you read the e-mail, might you have accepted our offer or contacted us to decline it rather than concluding it was a bait and switch tactic. Complimentary upgrades are a nice way to make a travel experience as enjoyable as possible. Over the past eight years we have offered a complimentary upgrade whenever possible. Why? Well, why not? As a courtesy to our guests, to make them happy, keep them coming back, good business practice, etc. Having received no reply to our e-mail, the assumption was you were agreeable to the upgrade. A big mistake on our part, and duly noted. Future upgrade e-mails will receive follow-up calls from us or the offer will be withdrawn.

Your demand to remove our guests at Coco Cottage in mid-stay and offer them your upgrade at 4:30 in the afternoon was not prudent. In all fairness, they reserved and prepaid eight months in advance. I wish you would have accepted my offer of a complimentary night in our Penthouse Suite as it may have provided an opportunity for you to enjoy a nice evening together and allowed us to time to please you. Sadly, some things are not meant to be.

Please know when you called our inn during breakfast service the following morning, we were in the midst of preparing breakfast for guests and unable to converse. I think you will agree no charges were made to your credit card when you arrived since you did not stay with us. My husband, Kirk, endeavored to reach out to you both by phone with offered a sincere apology Thank you for accepting the 25 long stemmed roses we had delivered to your home the following day.

Contrary to your review opinions, we politely protest. We are onsite owners, do not encourage any Super Bowl soirees, Spring Break (other than educators and families), or raucous group rentals. Our cottage vacation rentals are our part of our private urban renewal in one of our City’s oldest historic residential districts. We will not apologize for our urban, multi-cultural neighborhood or for owning and managing historic properties. We have gone to great lengths to preserve and protect our cottages with the good help of environmental companies with chemical free protection, use of professional service providers, and our dedicated family, friends, and team members who share our love of preservation and old things.

Once again, I apologize for offending you when congratulating you on your anniversary. My husband and I have been married over 30 years and still believe in love and romance. I was sorry you decided not to stay with us, and sad you felt the need to threaten rather than considering a compromise. Life is too short for rancor.

Sincere regards,

Cheryl Grantham, Owner/Manager
Casa Grandview Resort, WPB
Port St Lucie, FL
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Upon reading the many positive reviews for Casa Grandview we “thought “we made a great choice in which to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary…..well it was the WORST place we could have chose…..

We arrived at Casa Grandview….waiting a few minutes for someone to come to the door (we arrived around 3:00PM check-in time)….Cheryl greeted us, we took care of the remaining payment, she offered some ideas of places to go in the area---all local spots. We really were anxious to get to the cottage we specially reserved, the COCO PLUM cottage, to get ready for a nice quiet dinner on our ACTUAL anniversary. We had planned to have some champagne and exchange gifts before we left for dinner…..

Cheryl took us around the compound and mentioned that the Coco Plum was to our left….however we were heading straight….at first I thought she may have been taking us around the long way---the entire place was a hodge podge….we arrived at a “house” with an enclosed porch….I know the Coco Plum did not have this…at first I thought they may have been added one, but the setup did not look anything like the pictures….she opened the door to a staircase (again, the coco plum was an historic “cottage”, key west style….this was an OLD, DARK (almost no exterior light), jumbled and cluttered 2- story MONSTROSITY.

Thinking she was confused and took us to the wrong place, I asked…is this the Coco? She said, oh no, we gave that to someone else, people staying her 11 nights….we upgraded you to the Charleston House…. Yajaida (whoever the heck this is---and who Cheryl quickly pointed out was not there) should have called you. Well first no one called, and second, I would hardly call this an upgrade. I could not believe how shocked she “acted” that we were not happy with our “upgrade”. She kept saying how large it was and the most preferred choice…I find that HARD to believe.

Apparently, she did not understand how important the right place was for a very special day and for the FIVE night minimum they require. The Charleston was abysmal….the more she kept talking and downplaying the Coco, the madder I was….It was a creepy and not remotely like the bright, open, quaint cottage we had RESERVED, well in advance I may add…In addition my husband called several days beforehand to CONFIRM (the people were already in our room but NO MENTION). CLEARLY they were pulling the old bait and switch hoping we would have settled for this dump.

Oh, and it was GOOD to know, that this HOUSE was recently fumigated. It clearly was a place that was never used….she even mentioned they left the attic open and she was glad it felt cool in the house. GOD ONLY KNOWS what creatures/bugs, not to mention remaining fumes we would have encountered. It was such a blatant lack of respect for a special day….they clearly knew what they were doing.

In addition, the 25 roses my husband ordered for the room were on display, ….she simply pointed out…you will see a surprises from your husband, he is clearly romantic…it was not her place to point out the roses and ruin that surprise. My husband is usually very vocal and I never saw him look so defeated and let down….we both were and yet nothing could be done….all the other cottages were booked, and honestly after seeing their lack of regard I would not have stayed there for free (Cheryl did offer us a free night as we were walking out----please).

My husband and I work very hard and struggle taking time off from our jobs---having to plan well ahead and working even longer hours.
In addition I have had some serious health issues, my mother is not well, & I lost my younger brother recently. We really looked forward to this special day.

Well, we decided the day was ruined, canceled the special dinner, the celebration, left the roses and drove home….

This was clearly a bait and switch and RUINED a very important day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank linda-mark625
Dear Reviewer,

Sincere regards,

Cheryl Grantham, Owner/Manager
Casa Grandview Resort, WPB
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I am well traveled and really like nice accomodations and service! Well, it's right here at Casa Grandview....The cottage, attention to details, and the service was beyond my expectations.

If you are seeking elegance, peace, and beauty around you, I can't say enough about this beautiful B & B....But what sets them apart is the owners....Cheryl & Kirk couldn't be more gracious and accomodating. We just tell them what we want for breakfast and sit back and take in all the beautiful antiques, china, and atmosphere. I was there on business, but felt I was on vacation 100% of the time. I can't wait to go back...to relax more....

This is the most amazing place...loved it! Thank you Cheryl for a wonderful experience at your beautiful homes!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
The Chesterfield Palm Beach
The Chesterfield Palm Beach
#3 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Colony Hotel
Colony Hotel
#5 of 10 in Palm Beach
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham West Palm Beach
The Brazilian Court Hotel
The Brazilian Court Hotel
#4 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Casa Grandview Historic Luxury Inn, Cottages and Suites? Share your experiences!