“Enjoyed our stay very much”

West Palm Beach Marriott
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We stayed for three nights. I selected this hotel for its location near City Place. Check in was very easy and the room was very nice with a great view looking over the lake. Great view of the sunset each night. Loved the nice bedding. We took advantage of the free shuttle to City Place several times. When we were ready to return to the hotel, all we had to do was call and the van was there in five minutes. They also had free shuttle service to the airport but we didn't need it since we were driving. They had two computers in the very small "business center" that could be used for free to connect to the Internet. One was broken so there was just one available. They also had a printer connected that was free. This hotel also has wi-fi available for a fee. The outdoor pool and hot tub are very nice. I would gladly stay here again next time I am in WPB for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bigger_Dog_007

Reviewed December 30, 2007

Marriott West Palm Beach accomodated my guests & myself capably & professionally.
We received everything I requested for our stay:
- high floor room
- view of the water
- bathrobes
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ...
- early check-in.

My husband & I stayed here with my mother-in-law for xmas eve / xmas day while visiting family.
After having driven for over 3 hours from the JAX area, we arrived before the 4:00 PM check-in.
Marriott accomodated my phone request for early check-in & our rooms were ready for us to drop off our luggage & freshen up before going back on the road to visit family.
The following day, we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant & both the food & the service were terrific.
I used Express Check-Out & my only complaint is that a bill was delivered to my guest's room.
Other than that, no complaints. I was very pleased with our experience.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank SybilSays
Reviewed October 3, 2007

After a wonderful itenary in Florida, I must confess that this hotel was not the pick of the bunch.

The rooms to me were dowdy and the layout of the hotel was a little grey and lacking character. It wasn't bad by any means but it was very run of the mill.

It wasn't very personal and it was packed full of baseball players and fans which wan't very romantic either.

I maybe expect more from a large chain hotel and it simply didn't deliver.

The area itself is lovely with a very trendy mall just a short walk away.

Not top of my recommendation list but would stay again with a good deal on it.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Marriott West Palm Beach for one night while attending a concert at the Sound Advice Amphitheater. Check-in was fast and easy, no mention of Priceline. We were promptly assigned a King room on the 8th floor- the "Elite Level," as it read, just outside the elevator doors.

LOCATION/PARKING:
The Marriott West Palm Beach is located off of Okeechobee Boulevard, just east of I-95. People looking for easy interstate access would probably find this hotel perfect for their needs. The hotel offers valet as well as free self-parking. I did not use the valet service, so I cannot comment on price. Self-parking seems to be plentiful, but the parking lot wraps around the hotel in two "lanes," so it can be a little hike to and from your car if the occupancy is high. There did not appear to be much around in terms of food and shopping, at least not on this particular exit.

DINING:
The hotel offers 24-hour room service, with menus ranging from heart-healthy breakfasts to kid-friendly treats and enticing adult entrees. There is a full-service restaurant adjacent to the lobby, which also appeared to have nightly entertainment. Saturday was karaoke. I can't comment on the food because we didn't try it, but a glance at the room service menu at least got us interested.

ATMOSPHERE:
The exterior of the hotel leaves something to be desired. It looks very bland, but once you step inside it's very different. The lobby is spacious and marble-floored with comfy seating arrangements. One side leads to the bar/restaurant, across from the entry is the pool patio area, and to your right are the check-in desks, gift shop, and elevators. The hotel is extremely shiny, light, and open, but the decor is slightly uninteresting.

THE ROOMS:
Our 8th floor King room was quite large, super clean, and nice and cool when we arrived. The window overlooked a piece of the parking lot and the lake, as well as some of I-95 (though it wasn't close, so we did not hear traffic noise overnight). My boyfriend did not like the carpet much- it's green with gold and wine-colored diamonds. However, the carpet did bring out the rest of the colors in the room, from the red armchair to the gold curtains. I thought the room looked very elegant. The sheets were soft, yet crisp, clean, and were accented by a tapestry at the foot of the bed as well as gold borders on the pillows. The bed was extremely comfortable- soft with lots of pillows to lay back on.

The room had an executive desk, internet access port, mini-fridge (with no goodies inside so plenty of room for your own stuff), alarm clock, television with remote, coffee maker with assorted coffees and teas, free bottle of water, a safe, ironing board with iron, bathrobe and hairdryer.

The bathroom was sizable enough to maneuver comfortably without feeling cramped. Toiletries included Bath and Body Works Orange Ginger shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. There were two bars of Bath and Body Works soap, a bottle of mouthwash, shower cap, sewing kit, shoe mitt, Q-tips, and cotton balls. The extras were a really nice touch.

SERVICE:
Our room was not serviced because we only stayed one night, but we were very impressed with the state of the room when we arrived. As noted before, everything was immaculate and we had no complaints. The hotel employees were all friendly and helpful- we saw people asking for directions and recommendations. The people at the front desk did not snub us for using Priceline, and the bellhops all greeted us as we walked in and out of the hotel.

OVERALL:
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a convenient place to stay in West Palm. I have read some of the other reviews and cannot believe them. Unless you're used to staying at the Four Seasons, this hotel should impress you.

And to the kind sir complaining in a previous review about having to get water from his sink to fill the coffee pot, did you happen to notice the complimentary bottle of water sitting just above the coffee machine? Some people will complain about anything, even if it's perfect. Don't believe the naysayers, this hotel will impress you.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smootchick
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My recent visit to West Palm Beach (mistake number one) reminded me that even a pop star can fall by the wayside and require a place to rejuvenate, dry out, and become re-born. The Marriot West Palm Beach (Mistake number two) can best be described as the love child of a prison and a rehab facility with less than acceptable maintenance standards and very sub par food. One of those “off the side of the road” things, there is nothing interesting and pleasant about your stay here. From the sterile and uninteresting decore (complete with the top of the line popcorn ceilings) to the constant scent of sanitizing fragrance, you will immediately head to the door (as I did) and run home. I especially enjoyed the warnings on the walls that I should not hand my clothes on the sprinkler in the room...it was strange.

I think Marriots do a good job, but this one is by far the worst one I have stayed at. The lobby reminded me of a rehab hospital that was just missing big men in white coats and the occasional glimps of a Britney, Paris or even a Liza walking in a robe and wearing fuzzy slippers. Business needs are barely met, with a slower than you could imagine internet access and no fax or copy machine in site. Mind you the staff was wonderful and will bend over backwards to help you, but it all just seemed too much and way too many inconveniences for business people.

After arriving at 8pm and checking in, I headed down to the Bistro – a bar and restaurant all in one. Immediately I was in shock and awe. There was live music, a one man show complete with synthesized music and Frank Sinatra songs being sung by a young man who also accomplished 80's disco tunes. There was a table of about 15 woman from an ALL WOMANS baseball team – loud and obnoxious, to their right was a table of about 20 Marines – young men who ordered beers and rum and cokes and could not have been more gracious and gentleman-like. To their right was a table of about ten seniors who seemed frozen in time, spoons in their mouths, just waiting for someone to drop another nickel in their slot so they can be activated another ten seconds. It was sort of like a scene from the HBO series OZ with all the factions in the prison vying for power. (although I think the poor Marines were certainly conquered by the all woman’s baseball team members). The food was simply horrible – truly nothing fresh here. I ordered a Cobb salad my entire stay as I can do without the salt and sugar coatings that are normal offerings. (Although I do have to say that in Florida in general, finding good food even in Palm Beach or South Beach is nearly impossible - if your from the heratland you will love the food).
The room was filthy, with toilet gunk under the toilet seat from the last 27899 people that stayed in the room and the towels smelled like they were washed in water minus the detergent. The carpeting has seen better days, and the extra touch of an empty refrigerator and coffee maker in the room underscored the term trailer park trash. I imagined how I would wake up after an uncompfortable sleep, go to that bathrrom sink that 29766 people spit in, fill up my coffee pot and make coffee...I would feel like I was camping in New Dehli. The windows are filthy and needed a good washing. The hotel smells like a public bathrrom at an airport using way too much sanitizer. The patrons (apart from the Marines) are scarey.

The center courtyard does offer a fitness center and a very small pool that closes late at night. On my visit I spotted a group of men sitting at a table by the pool – all looking as of they had their motor cycles parked in the lot and just waiting for their chicks to come down from the room and do a strip dance on the table. They all wore sunglases at 10pm and just watched people move around, puffing on ciggerettes. It was all very scarey.

I had to make an escape. I tried to think about possibly riding on the top of a garbage truck in the morning or trying bribe one of those attendants with a $5 bill. Then I thought I should just check out and find a real hotel. I did. The very next morning after my horrible attempt at breakfast (Oatmeal was the only thing that was acceptable) which failed miserably, I left.

I would recommend This Hotel For:

Criminals on the run, members of motor cycle gangs, any and all gypsys, thieves and ladies of the evening, young adults in their 20’s, anyone who was captured by Dog the Bounty Hunter.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank daninnyc
Reviewed August 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Hotel in West Palm Beach last week for two nights. It was the cleanest, friendliest hotel we have ever been stayed at. The lobby was very nice, with a table set up with cold bottles of water and and a selection of either pastries or cookies at all times.

Our bathroom light burned out the second evening, and when I called them, they came and fixed it within 5 minutes.!! Also, the town is so nice. We went on Thursday nite to Clematis by Night. They set up food booths and live entertainment. Very nice. We will come back soon.

4  Thank lindakn
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed here for one night this past weekend as we were attending the Fab Four concert at the Kravis Centre in WPB and did not want the long drive home to Miami afterwards.

Check in staff were delightful, very helpful etc. Room was nice but some issues. We were put on the Concierge level - room 911 - easy to remember. (we used Marriott Rewards) and they gave us welcome cookies and milk which was a nice touch, but the milk must have been there for hours as it was warm and sitting in a bucket of warm water, the ice had melted ages ago. If you are going to do something nice for a guest, do it right I say! So we threw the milk out and my husband ate the cookies which were good. The beds were very nice and soft, excellent bedding and tons of soft downy pillows. I had requested a frig in the room which was offered to me a few days before the visit by the Electronic Concierge via email and even though I asked for it, it was not there. Did not bother complaining as we had our own cooler and just got more ice for it. It was too hot to argue!

One negative, the room had a large mold spot in the corner by the window which was nasty. Good job neither my husband nor I suffer from mold allergies but it could have set someone else off who did suffer.

Bathroom nice; excellent toiletries from Bath and Body Works aromatherapy range. Hairdryer, ironing board and iron in cupboard. Room nice and cold and a/c worked great. Coffee maker also in room. Nice view of City Place (shopping mall) and we could even just see the ocean from our room.

The hotel had cold iced water in reception (nice touch) but on Sat. night they had karaoke blasting from the lounge at midnight and it was bad! Couldn't wait to get up to our rooms to escape the caterwauling! Did not have time to visit the pool and spa so can't comment on those.

Overall it's a nice clean hotel - but it wasn't quite a perfect overnight stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple