“Our Second Stay Was A Mistake - Long Read If You Like”

Residence Inn West Palm Beach
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
Hampton, Virginia
“Our Second Stay Was A Mistake - Long Read If You Like”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Day 1 - Sunday August 4, 2013

After a 926 miles drive, we find out that the room that had been blocked for us was now somehow blocked for someone else. The lady at the front desk told us a lie that the manager told her to tell us. After waiting almost two hours, my wife and I were finally able to check into the Residence Inn at about 2:30pm for what was to be an 18 night stay. After several radio calls to someone, the lady at the front desk was finally given the ok to assign us to room 223.

Arriving at our newly assigned room we notice that someone had left us a present under the door. It turned out to be a dirty cleaning glove. That was only the beginning.

Thankfully we had stopped off at the local pharmacy to pick up some cleaning supplies

Entering the room we noticed a very foul odor. It smelled like old grease. My wife and I spent the next hour sanitizing the room.

She even wiped and sanitized the tile floor in the kitchenette area. Either the floor or the mop used to wash the floor had not been cleaned in a long time. The sanitizing wipes were brown.

The countertop had some kind of stain on it that took some scrubbing to get off. Sitting on the counter top was a nice little microwave. It looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in weeks. There is still some kind of brown stain inside. Not to mention more foul odors. No we did not clean the microwave. We sit it up on top of the refrigerator.

Checking the dishes in the cabinet, we noticed that they had been hurriedly put away wet. They were still wet. Wet dishes grow mold. Needless to say, all the dishes and the few utensils that were left in the drawer went back through a proper wash and dry. All but the larger utensil that were to dirty and rusted to even be used. The larger utensils were put on top of the refrigerator with the microwave.

While prepping the utensils for washing we ran the garbage grinder in the sink. Again we got that nasty foul odor. We put some lemon peels and coffee in the grinder and ran very hot water for about ten minutes. Finally the smell was gone.

While making several trips back to our vehicle to acquire more of our belongings, I saw why the carpet area still had little rocks at various locations throughout the room. The vacuum cleaner sitting on the cleaning cart probably had not been cleaned in a very long time. It now is only used to transport germs from room to room and spread the carpet debris around the room. We swept the carpet by hand. I definitely want be walking barefoot on these carpets.

My wife went to sit down on the couch and noticed the same old greasy smell. All of the pillow covers had the same old greasy smell to them. They were removed and put in a bag to be properly washed and sanitized. We changed our mind. We were not going to wash them.

The bed and bath area were acceptable. We finished by spraying the room down with air freshener.

Yes we should have asked for another room, but I didn’t want it to take another two hours to get it ready. And after driving 925 miles all I wanted was to find a clean place to rest. This was our second stay here at this hotel. The first time was only 10 days prior. But, come to find out we had been given the room of a preferential customer. Thats why we could not get the same room.

I wonder if the hotel manager would have liked to stay in that room for 18 days and nights. I don’t think so.

I put out the do not disturb sign to keep them out of our room. Not that we had it cleaned.

Day 2 – Monday August 5, 2013

The room smelled much better this morning. The shower worked ok. The fan in the bathroom sounds like a fighter jet about to take flight.

I went down to breakfast. If that’s what you want to call it. The eggs were like cardboard and cold. The sausage was tasteless and cold. The little mini pancakes were hard and very flexible. Was a nice piece of fruit too much to ask for? The bananas had brown spots all over them. I don’t normally eat the yogurt in hotels, but this was an exception. All the advertising done for yogurt is a joke. Just read the ingredients on the carton. There is anywhere from 18 to 30 grams of sugar in a small container of yogurt. I left and had a nice chicken salad for lunch.

Even though the hotel offers what they call a social hour, my wife and I went out to eat at the local Polo Tropical. That was another mistake. The chicken was to dry to eat.

This is not turning out to be a good business trip.

After spending the evening at a local Super Target, my wife and I can now put the two crock-pots we brought with us to good use. Since there is limited parking at the Residence Inn, we had to utilize the handicap parking area to unload our groceries.

Once we put all the groceries away at around 8:00pm, I decided to do a little research on the Internet. Why should I even think it was going to work? NO INTERNET!! I called the front desk and the lady lied to me again. She told me they were working on it and that she would keep me informed. I still haven’t heard from her. So after watching about 30 minutes of my favorite TV show “Duck Dynasty” I just went to bed.

Day 3 – Tuesday August 6, 2013

Waking up about 3:00am I decided to get up and read some on the Internet. Again, why should I even think it was going to work? NO INTERNET!! So I called down to the front desk to see what kind of lie they were going to tell me this time. To my surprise “Chris” told me that the Internet would not be working until some time on Wednesday. At least my Keurig coffee was good. Yes we travel with our Keurig coffee maker. I wouldn’t leave home without it.

I walked down to the front desk about 5:30am and turned in my complaint letter about the condition of the room. I ask Chris again about the Internet. He said it should be up and running on Wednesday. Off to work I go.

After a very long and HOT day I finally make it back to the hotel where my wife has a delicious dinner waiting for me.

While sitting at the dinner table I see the TV blink and then go off. Oh well. After dinner I call the front desk and inquire about the TV. The lady at the front desk tells me it is an issue with Comcast all along the Hotel road. I wouldn’t expect them to take any of the blame for this. And that it won’t be back on until about 10:00pm. WTF That was another lie. the TV next door at the Hilton Homewood Suites was working just fine according to someone I know that was staying there.

I then inquired about the Internet. I did not like the answer that I was given. She had to go ask someone (or at least that is what she said) and when she came back to the phone she tells me that there is no definite time when the Internet will be back up and running. I told my wife that if the Internet is not back up and running on Thursday we will be moving out next door to the Homewood Suites where we stayed when we first came to West Palm Beach.

Day 4 - Wednesday August 7, 2013

During my morning of home made oatmeal, I still did not have any internet service. And the TV was hanging up periodically during the local news broadcast.

My wife informed me that she had to request a new ironing board since the one in the room would not even stand up on it own. What next?

After work, the internet is finally working. It's slow but working. The TV is back to normal.

I'm not sure how long it take the manager to read the complaint forms that are turned into him so I haven't made any additional inquires. I also haven't heard anything from him/her.

Day 5 - Thursday August 8, 2013

Room smells much better now that my wife has been burning her Yankee candle for three days. Still haven't heard from the manager.

Leaving my room I can smell that same smell at various locations in the hallway.

Day 6 - Friday August 9, 2013

Typical morning.

A great afternoon. I was informed that our task had been completed ahead of schedule and that I was to pack up and go home. This was two weeks early. I called my wife and she was ecstatically happy to hear that we were leaving that hotel. She informed me that she would have everything packed by the time I got there shortly after 5pm. So after a quick shower we checked out and headed home.

I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

I still haven't heard from the manager.

One good thing about the room is that the Air Condition Unit worked great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Rusty850
Dan P, General Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello sir and thank you so much for taking the time to write this comment about the condition of the hotel room. I wish i would have known about the situtation however I did not get a hold of the note you left with the front desk. I realize that this should not have been the only form of communicating issues from my front desk and take full responsibility for the issues you faced while here at the hotel. We were undergoing a Internet upgrade the week of 8/5-8/8 that had the guest wireless out for a period of 24 hours and spotty service for the remaining 12-16 hours after that. I will tell you that the internet is working now and this issue is resolved for good. I feel terrible that this happened to you and your wife and would love the opportunity to make things right even though you have checked out of the hotel. Please let me know if there is a good number where I can reach you to further discuss.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Another city, another Marriott - always by choice. We rarely stay elsewhere. This property has a very pleasant staff, is clean and modern. It could be typical of the Residence Inn brand - we found that the room seemed small. But housekeeping was tops and the bed comfortable, with a good shower and a fair amount of space to unpack clothes - although mostly in the closet. The one drawback to this location was the breakfast bar. It was a mess, the food tasteless and rubbery, and the one lone staff person just as sultry and unpleasant as she could be. Not a good way to wake up in the morning. She was quite a contrast to the other staff that appeared genuinely happy that we were there. Coffee was ample but tasted cheap. Too bad, since Mr. Marriott's core history is food service. Would we return? Maybe, in a pinch. But there seem to be multiple other options in the same immediate area, including other Marriott brands.

Room Tip: Plan on eating out if you are a breakfast lover. Dinners are available most evenings and are suffici...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dan P, General Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write us about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that our rooms were clean and comfortable and that our staff for the most part was pleasant and friendly. I would like to also thank you for pointing out honestly about all of the points of guest contact as we are only as good as every one of our associates are and these comments helps us revisit training opportunities and become a better property all around. I would love to have you back as my personal guest and be able to deliver the level of service and quality that the Marriott brand has offered for many years. Have a wonderful day and please let me know if you will be back in the area again.

Respectfully,

Dan Patino
561-687-4747 x405
dan.patino@marriott.com
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this location for 1 night on our way from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando. The hotel was clean and had great staff. We checked in and out very quickly. Location was easy to find and we enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing this great review about your recent stay. Here at the Residence Inn bt Marriott West Palm Beach we pride ourselves in providing clean and comfortable rooms with the customer service to go with it. Have a wonderful day and thank you so much for your business.
Tyngsboro, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one week in April and were very happy here. What we liked about the hotel: free breakfast, free parking, great location near 95, beaches, and the airport. The lobby and the rooms seemed to have been recently renovated. The maid service came daily and did an excellent job. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite and found it to be perfect for my husband and I, our 1 year old and my mother. We all had plenty of room. The pool was a bit small, but the water was warm and the pool area was never really crowded. Lastly, this hotel was very reasonably priced!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dan P, General Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed it, that is the whole reason we are here. I will be sharing your great comments with our staff during our employee appreciation luncheon so that they are all aware of the great service they are providing our guests.

Please come back and see us if you happen to find yourself in the area again.

Thank you so much for your business and have a wonderful day.
Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed April 21 for my Birthday celebtation. The staff at the hotel are all so pleasant. From the scheduling with Leah to the check out, we had a wonderful experience. The rooms are terrific. Kitchenettes have granite countertops Full size refrigerators, dish washer, microwave, stove, dishes, dishsoap. All you need to bring is your food. The living area furniture is comfortable for reading or TV watching. The bathrooms have shampoo & soap already there. Iron & ironing board are in the closet if you need them. The pool, hot tub and huge fire pit were wonderful. We spent a lot of time outside. The plants & Cocoanut trees were beautiful. Tennis court was a great amenity we didn't expect. It is centrally located to beach, shopping restaurants, & Port of West Palm if you're taking a cruise. We will definitely stay here again anytime we come to the West Palm Beach area.

Room Tip: A/C noise on the first floor was the only negative we had. Ask for a higher floor to avoid this.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for including the Residence Inn for your birthday trip. I am very happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and that my staff did a great job taking care of you. Your comments are the reason we are all in the hospitality industry and sharing them with the staff always brings a smile to everyones face.

Please come and see us again on your next trip to the West Palm Beach area and have a great day!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm convinced employees or some other hired hand is writing these reviews because this place sucks. I'm here now praying I can find another hotel with availability. I travel regularly for work and I've stayed in dozens of hotels and this is by far my worst experience. I don't think they clean. The first room I was given had an awful funky smell. In the second room, while it initially seemed to be ok, I pulled the sheets back and someone else’s hair is staring at me. I’m majorly disappointed because to avoid issues like this, I visit this site (TripAdvisor). All the wonderful reviews along with my experience at the Residence Inn Arlington, VA convinced me to make a reservation here. NEVER AGAIN! I'm going back to Hilton Hotels. Praying I can get the hell out of here before nights end!.... I almost forgot to add that not one manager is on duty so I'm told. I'm completely disgusted. Lord send me a ram in the bush!

Room Tip: book elswhere!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TekaW
Dan P, General Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay. I would like to apologize for not being able to provide you with a clean and comfortable stay as this is what we are in this business for. I have taken the proper steps to ensure that we do not repeat these issues for future guests. I have been the GM of this hotel since June of 2012 and have had the pleasure of hosting many guests that also spent their time addressing their stays on Trip Advisor.

If you think of anything I may be able to do concerning your recent stay please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Have a wonderful day.
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three and a half weeks between Feb. and March. We were extremely pleased with the hotel and the services provided. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If a problem arose and something needed to be fixed, it was done immediately. We would certainly stay here again.
Barbara, New Jersey

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan P, General Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Barbara,

I would like to thank you for writing this great review about our hotel and also let you know what a pleasure it was hosting you guys. We can't wait to have you with us again next year and wish you all the best for the remainder of 2013.