“Okay Hotel”

Hampton Inn West Palm Beach Central Airport
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in West Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stay at Hampton Inns whenever we travel. I was disappointed in this one. The quality of the hotel is not your typical one. It was a little run down looking all over. Pillows had an odd odor to them.The breakfast buffet wasn't great,the all day coffee was cold.Wi Fi wasn't working well.On the positive. Very friendly staff and location was good. It is near I- 95 and Kravits Performing Art Center and shopping. Safe area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband, son and myself stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and loved it. Supe nice staff, very clean rooms! We were flying out to the Bahamas for a week and they let us keep our car in their parking lot for $2 a day which was MUCH cheaper than the airport and we were able to take the FREE shuttle to and from the airport. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank harleyfun4t
Reviewed January 1, 2013

From the moment we walked in, we had nothing but a great experience. TJ at the front desk did everything he could to make our stay the best it could be. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was beyond clean and huge and the bed was super comfy! We just missed the shuttle to cityplace so TJ called them and they came back for us. Dennis the shuttle driver was also very sweet and friendly. The breakfast was wonderful-a huge selection of fresh foods. I will definitely be back! Thank tj the dj!

Room Tip: Our room was far from the elevator and was very quiet!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have stayed at this well-located hotel at least three times a year for the past decade or more, which is an obvious sign of the fact that I have found it fairly enjoyable. I am sorry to report that in many noticeable ways, the quality of the hotel is deteriorating.

First example: housekeeping is apparently either rushing through each room or using poorly trained staff. When I checked in to my room, I found a paperclip on the bathroom floor, several large dust bunnies in the living area, and a not thoroughly cleaned bathroom sink. Furthermore, the bedside lamp had a light bulb that had burned out. Finally, the temperature in the room was 76 degrees F not only at the time I checked in but when I returned to my room the following afternoon (I had set the thermostat to 72, so obviously someone had changed it). Yes, any one of these items by itself might just be a slight annoyance, but the overall pattern seems to indicate a trend.

There are no longer free newspapers distributed to guest rooms and left in the lobby for guests. Again, this doesn't make this a lousy hotel, but obviously they are trying to cut corners.

More distressingly, wi fi service is highly erratic. I have had to re-set the wi fi access in my room four or five times an hour. Finally, out of frustration, I just went down to the lobby to use on of the two computers (not using wi fi) there. Also, cell phone service is spotty in some of the rooms. (I have experienced this for years now.) I sometimes have to go outside the hotel to be able to make a clear cell phone call.

To be fair, there are many good things about this place. The desk staff are invariably friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet is more than adequate, although certainly far from gourmet. (But hey -- it's free.) The flat screen TVs in each room are nice. The renovated bathrooms are improved. Perhaps best of all, the location (about a half mile from the airport and the major car rental lots and close to I-95) is great.

But....

The mattresses are now lumpier than they felt two or three years ago, suggesting that they haven't held up so well to heavy use.

There is still no restaurant or bar service here -- not even in room mini-bars.

The swimming pool is very, very small. If there are two or three kids playing in the pool, it isn't usable by adults in any swimming sense.

More importantly in terms of getting a decent night's sleep, insulation in the guest rooms is not very effective. Any rooms located near elevators or ice machines hear the noise every time these devices are used. And if a loud conversation is being held in the hallway, you can hear it inside a guest room from quite a distance away ... even at 3 AM.

I certainly hope the hotel rectifies these problems. But if these same problems continue at my next stay in less than two months, I will have to switch loyalties and stay somewhere else for my visits.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and ice machines!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed here on Thanksgiving as we had an early flight the next morning. The front desk staff made sure that we were well taken care of. They even had recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner! Our room was very clean and well maintained. The entire property is well cared for. The fresh baked cookies at the front desk in the evening was a nice touch!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We visit this location at least once a year. It continues to meet the Hampton expecations. This visit the front desk wasn't performing at its best, but the room and location is worth the effort. Will return again next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After numerous stays and tolerating the remodeling work and swearing I would not return, I ate my words and returned. The newly remodeled rooms are nice. nothing special. Bad thing is, when I am staying at this hotel, I normally spend quite a lot of time in my room working on my laptop. Since the rooms have been remodeled, the HVAC system is beside the desk. It is extremely uncomfortable trying to sit there with the air conditioning blowing across you. A little effort on behalf of the staff would result in the furniture being rearranged so that this does not happen. It is very irritating. Be careful looking at the hotel web site. All of the photographs are not of this property. Many are of the Hilton Garden Inn next door. Agreed, they are sister properties, but a little unethical in my opinion. Also on this particular stay, the hotel was inundated with construction workers who decided it was a good place to spend their evenings in front of the hotel drinking beer and using every foul mouthed word possible. No respect was given to families with children, or to anyone else for that matter. I repeatedly commented to the front desk that it was embarrassing to be a guest here and have to witness this every evening. No one seemed to care. I also sent these sentiments directly to the Hampton web site twice. They never replied, so apparently no one cares. Problems like these normally have a way of working themselves out. When the business closes, that will be the solution.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business