“Don Wanna Come Back”

Dining options: Reservations
Springfield, Virginia
“Don Wanna Come Back”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Quite simply the worst meal that I have had recently in a US restaurant. Tasteless pot roast in a watery sauce, served with flavorless black beans dripping in a cup more appropriately used for cole slaw and the most bland yellow rice that I have ever seen. Children's choices were limited to chicken nuggests--and not very good ones--and similar American fare. My mother ordered shrimp scampi and received a half-dozen salad-sized shrimp in something that bore no resemblance to scampi. Everything seemed prepared for people who like small portions, no sprices, and poor quality ingredients.. It is noteworthy that there were only two other families eating--and neither of them Cuban--at a time when the Habana Restaurant two blocks away was literally packed. The waitress tried very hard to accommodate our party's needs and seemed genuinely disappointed that we all disliked our food. The room itself is dark and romantic, with an attractive-looking bar, but no couples or customers or even a bartender while we were present.

• Visited January 2013

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Dixie Hwy - If it was the last Cuban Restaurant in the world....”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

....then you should go in, order a Vaca Frita, reconcile yourself to yellow rice with frozen mixed veggies, black beans a la salt right out of a can, actually good plaintains (I LIKE them burned), and the oddest presentation on the planet (small portions dumped randomly on large plates. Not in a cool way. In a weird way.) How small? There were four little slices of fried plantain per person. Not even a half-plantain each. My grandmother's shrimp were both scrawny and well, few in number. My father's....I don't remember what he ordered, but it was an oddly processed two cold slices of pot roast in a salty-tomato-water drizzle. Probably the worst in show. Avoid anything that sounds like it on the menu.

The best item on the menu (other than the scanty burned plantain bits) was the sangria over ice with canned mixed fruit stirred in. Oddly good, but decidedly doable at home (you'd be surprised what canned peaches do for sangria).

We were a party of 5, so I had ample ability to sample a number of menu items. They were universally salty and bland, and mostly really I mean REALLY cold. I think my vaca frita was the best of the picks, but it was tough, not crispy on the outside, salty and greasy. Everything else was worse. My grandmother pointed out that the food was so institutional, it could well have been her residential facility's chef in Don Ramon's kitchen. For an extra four dollars, I would have gone down the street to Havana, which does vaca frita really well. Actually, we ended up going to Havana for palate-cleansing cafe cubano/con leche.

So. If you want very bland (other than salty), room-temperature, industrial-processed Cuban cuisine (a sort of prophetic vision of McCuba's should the regime liberalize), EAT HERE. If you want good Cuban food served well, try somewhere else.

If it was the last Cuban restaurant in the world, maybe you should just go across the parking lot to the Thai restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Jupiter, Florida
“Arroz con Pollo like my mom's”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I went into Don Ramon enticed by the sign that advertised the lunch special for $5.99.
Who new that for six bucks you could have the most scrumptious baked chicken, yellow rice, plantains and black beans. Latin cuisine at its best. I would have lunch there every day if I lived closer!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank alexdelange
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Wonderful”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The food is great, the owner is very attentive and brings a smile to anyone visiting. The restaurant is small and cozy. Can't beat it...

Visited August 2012
Boynton Beach FL
“The best Cuban food in South Florida”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The lechon asado is excellent. Have eaten here many times in the past. Always good foor and service. Hard to find anything wrong with that. I have been to other Don Ramon restaurants in the area but none of them as good as this one. Staff is friendly and effective. This is really hard to beat

• Visited October 2012