“A CULINARY EXTRAVAGANZA”

Dining options: Reservations
Boca Raton, Florida
“A CULINARY EXTRAVAGANZA”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After having developed voracious appetites attending an AKC dog show at the fairgrounds several miles away, I googled the best restaurant list for WPB. This restaurant popped onto the radar screen with its rave reviews. And it was within a short driving distance. Very serendipitous since we love Indian food.

The storefront isn't much. Nothing to get excited about. All the action is indoors. The large dining area is class personified, with an Indian theme. Artwork gracing the walls -- metal sculptures, wooden carvings, a painting. A flat screen TV in a corner with an Indian program, the sound muted. Pleasant Indian background music. Tables covered with not one but two tablecloths, red offset above white. Artsy ceiling tiles. A waitstaff at the ready.

We took our seats at a table that allowed us to surveill the entire interesting scene. We quickly opted for the luncheon buffet, already set up. One large container held chunks of chicken -- red, white, green -- with varying degrees of flavors and spiciness. I used the tongs there to place a piece of each on my plate. Then down the line, past containers of chutneys and vegetable dishes and rice mixtures and chicken entrées. I scooped liberally. My wife followed, doing the same.

The waitstaff brought a basket of freshly baked naan bread to our table. Then another type of bread, thin and crisp. Our water glasses were kept filled as we dined -- no, gorged -- like royalty. The waitstaff was ever attentive without being in our faces. And the food, all of it, was simply delicious. So much so that we made another trip to the buffet line.

And still we were not done, unrepentant gourmands that we are. Back again, this time to the desert table for rice pudding and gajar halwa, a tasty combination of carrots, milk, nuts, raisins, cardamon. Now we were done. Sigh.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Bunmaster2014

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Best Indian Food in Town”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We are so lucky to have this little gem in our neighborhood. It's in a nondescript strip mall, but nondescript the restaurant is not. The food is authentic and just perfect. We were lucky to visit last time on a festival day, and the special buffet was amazing. We asked about the festival, and the owner or manager spent a good 15 minutes with us telling us the wonderful story behind the festival. Wait staff is very good with great service and excellent recommendations. The menu is quite diverse, and the lunch buffet is great. Even my picky teen eater found his meal to be delicious. If you're in WPB, this will be a definitive great meal.

• Visited April 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
“Good food, interesting menu”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love Indian food and for some reason assumed there was not a good Indian restaurant in the Palm Beaches. Then someone brought me to Taste of India and I was delighted to find out how wrong I was. The menu is interesting and diverse and the food is delicious. The service was also impressive. Personally, I did not enjoy the lamb dishes, but that's just me. I also wonder what other guests saw when they say the decor is beautiful as I found it rather "street fair". However, the food (the reason you are there) is wonderful, tasty and interesting. I have gone there many times and will continue to do so.

• Visited April 2014
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Great experience!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

What a surprise! It is beautiful inside and the atmosphere led to a relaxing dinner. The manager took such an interest in our dining experience from recommending the most delicious cauliflower appetizer to our dinners. We are novices and he saw to it that we knew how to truly enjoy the delicious food. I never thought I would crave Indian food until I found Taste of India.

• Visited May 2014
Lexington, Kentucky
“Beautiful Interior Décor, Mediocre Taste, Expensive”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was staying in a hotel in Port St. Lucie and I had
a strong craving for Sambar. My family is originally from
the South Indian State of Andhra Pradesh and our state
is famous for Sambar.

Sambar is a very tasty, spicy, and fragrant soup that
can be combined and poured over a lot of dishes. I googled
“South Indian Food in Miami” and this restaurant was one
of the search results.

I drove the nice long drive from Port St. Lucie to
West Palm Beach. I had never visited southeastern Florida
before and this strip of Okeechobee Boulevard was one
of the most opulent areas that I have ever visited with
Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and other
luxury car dealers within a short walk of each other.

The interior décor of the restaurant was extremely
beautiful. The waiter informed me that much of the art
work was imported directly from the owner’s home state
of Kerala in southwestern India.

I eat mostly vegetarian and I ordered an eggplant
and chickpeas dish as an appetizer which was salty and
bland. I ordered a Paratha (flat bread) and just one bowl
of Sambar and one small bowl of the potatoes that they
normally put inside the Masala Dosa (flat, crepe-like,
pancakes that are somewhat sour.

I was charged $4.99 for a small cereal-bowl sized bowl
of Sambar and it was very mediocre in taste and did not
have the nice aroma that even much less expensive restaurants
manage to create. I was charged $4.99 for a small amount
of the potatoes although they were quite tasty.

I realize that I was in West Palm Beach, but paying approximately
$25 with tip for a small bowl of mediocre Sambar, a small plate of potatoes,
one order of Paratha, and an appetizer was in my opinion about $10-$12
more than what I would expect to pay at the many Indian restaurants
in the Cerritos section of Los Angeles where the Sambar is much better.

I believe that the best way to enjoy this restaurant would be to
eat at their lunch buffet where the value may be better.

In summary, beautiful interior décor, mediocre taste, very expensive
to order off of the menu.

• Visited May 2014