“Only reason to go is Andrea”
Review of Cafe Toscano

Cafe Toscano
Ranked #70 of 699 Restaurants in West Palm Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Old Okeechobee
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We've been to Cafe Toscano twice ; once to hear Andrea, a young singer with a wonderful voice, and second, for a meal. As it was nearly 9PM, my companion ordered a shrimp cocktail and I ordered the manicotti. The shrimp was poorly served warm in a ramekin, no ice. Ugh!. And the manicotti came laying in a pool of tasteless tomato sauce. Totally unappetizing. There must not be any herbs (or imagination) in this kitchen. To make up for the "no atmosphere" surroundings, the management had the loudest music outside of a Long Island wedding with a singer who couldn't match Andrea ever. The only way we'd go back is to hear Andrea but no more food.

1  Thank Poet1955

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The food was amazing. The sauce was wonderful and I am very picky on red sauce. We had Calamari to start it was cooked perfectly. Bread was hot and soft. I had Chicken Sorentino and my husband had Veal Porcini. Both were very good. The place and restrooms were very clean and had a large amount of products you could purchase that came from Italy. Service was efficient but to be honest it was not very crowded. I cannot wait to go again and this time bring some friends to enjoy it with us.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Note: It's hard for me to believe that I am reviewing the same restaurant that the other reviewers rated before me.

To be fair, I was at this restaurant at a private event--with entertainment--on a Sunday night, when it would usually be closed. However, I am writing this review because the owner needs to know that customers can now share their experiences with others on the internet, and we aren't going to be victims.

So, here goes:
After taking our bar order, we waited more than an hour before the wait staff returned to take our food orders. We weren't even given water! Since it was impossible to get anyone's attention, we actually started to help ourselves. I walked up to a waiter to ask for bread, since I am diabetic and needed something to eat.

Forty-five more minutes passed and, finally, a waitress began taking orders. We weren't offered a complete meal. We were offered an entree with a pasta side, and that was all. Another half hour passed before our orders began to trickle in, one by one. Unbelieveably, most of the orders were not what we had ordered!

After the food was delivered, no one on the staff ever returned to ask if we needed anything or, if the food was satisfactory. I ended up finishing the pasta that came with the entree because of my health problem but, I could not eat the entree, it was so tough.

I was desperate because I knew I needed food and, I knew my friends wanted to stay (the entertainment was wonderful). At that point, trying to find a solution that would be good for all of us, I frantically waved and caught the eye of the manager. I told him that I had not been able to tell anyone before but I could not eat the entree. I requested a substitution--the less expensive eggplant parmagiana (which I could, at least, identify). I even added that since I had eaten the pasta, they needn't serve me more. He brought the food back to the kitchen.

At that point, the owner came out and told me that as she saw it, I had finished my meal and, if I did have a problem, I should have complained at the beginning. I told her that I did try to let someone know but, no one ever came back to our table except to drop off food and then run before we could ask for anything. She responded by yelling at me, and then she left.

At my age...and for my money...I'm not accustomed to being yelled at by anyone. The person who invited me wanted to leave but, just at that time, the eggplant arrived from the kitchen. Unfortunately, once she had yelled it me it became a matter of principle; it was just too little and too late.

The meal (a la carte) that I ordered cost approximately $15 but, the meal that I actually received was priced lower. I gave the owner a $20 and told her that I wasn't satisfied with the food or the service and I felt she didn't deserve the price she was billing me for because I hadn't received what I had paid for. She made no concession and so I left. Other people would probably have walked out without paying, but I felt the staff deserved to be paid.

My friend apparently thought that I hadn't paid my bill and so she paid it! Again! The owner accepted her money, knowing that she had already received the $20 I gave her. In my opinion, that was inexcusable, but speaks volumes about the owner's attitude.

7  Thank Arlene A
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The service was the worst I have ever had. We were a party of ten and it took them 40 minutes to bring us water, although we tried to ask anyone we could for someone to take our order. The food was mediocre, even bland...not Italian spiced at all, delivered after 2 hours from when we were seated! The waitress kept forgetting what everyone ordered and kept asking over and over what we ordered. It was impossible to get our check, after asking over and over, finally getting it by physically finding her at the register and getting it and finally paying it and leaving a most unpleasant evening!

3  Thank Jean K
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I came here for lunch with some friends and I did not expect to have some of the best Italian food I have ever eaten. The food is home-style and everything tastes fresh and hand made. I was happy with the bread, appetizer (i got soup) and the entree. It was a complete meal that was very filling. Only issue is that I wish I saved room for desert!