“A Pleasant Morning”

South Florida Science Center and Aquarium
More attraction details
Owner description: The South Florida Science Center and Aquarium (former South Florida Science Museum) provides curious minds of all ages with an entertaining and educational journey through science and technology. The Science Center features more than 50 hands-on exhibits, a digital planetarium, freshwater and saltwater aquariums, as well as natural history exhibitions. Established in 1961, the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium is a non-profit institution dedicated to its mission; "Open Every Mind to Science".
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Went on Thursday morning and was greeted with several classes of screaming, ill-behaved children. My son and I moved through the museum avoiding the classes, so it was ok. The museum itself is small, but nice. My son is nine and very science oriented. I think he most enjoyed the "touch and learn" experience in the aquarium where the attendant was knowledgeable and pleasant. It would be nice if they added more of that type of experience. The outdoor section was pleasant and the puzzles were fun. This is a very small, local museum. It took us one morning to see everything, which was fine.

All reviews
"small museum"
"south florida"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Signed up for a family membership this year. The grandkids love this place and I love the fact that they have revamped the place and added many new displays. It is much smaller than the one in Ft. Lauderdale and so a bit overpriced for the amount of displays. The kids love the dinosaur movies and the gator golf outside.

Only complaint, need more parking closer to the building. We had to walk from another area in the road and it was dangerous with cars zipping around the bend (even though they are driving through a public area).

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I read the negative reviews thinking they were just being mean. No, they weren't. It was true... I went after 1pm thinking it was going to be quieter. Not a chance. Too many out of control kids and it smells in there. The aquarium is a joke. The sphere is not in a good place. Could not hear the recording. I paid too much for so little.

1  Thank wingsonair
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I are Palm Beach county locals, and don't have any kids, but consider ourselves to be big kids at heart. We are in the 30-40 range. Every summer once a week on a shared day off we try to get out there and explore the many local attractions in our area. A few weeks ago we went to the Palm Beach Zoo and were offered a "Dual Discovery Pass" for just $3.75 more per person then the regular zoo admission which would allow us access to also visit the South Florida Museum and Aquarium.
The $3.75/person wasnt even worth it.
I was really excited to check this place out. We love Science Museums and Aquariums and neither of us have visited a planetarium since we were kids.
What a dissapointment this place was! When we went to turn in our passes they collected our tickets and that was it. I asked if they had any literature or a map or something so we would know where to go. I was handed a barely readable map and planetarium movie showtimes. (After exploring the place we realized why a map and literature really are not necessary as it's so small and pathetic you cant miss anything or get lost.)
I saw that there were movies or shows at the Planetarium and so we lined up but where told it was an extra fee and we needed to go back to the admission counter and pay $4/person per show. So we did. Each show is sold individually so we just picked the next show which was "Night Skies above the Palm Beaches". This was a lame excuse of a planetarium presentation. The star globe projected so blurry on the dome that you couldnt make anything out. We walked out 25 minutes later confused and disapointed.
Okay so lets go explore the rest of the museum..... not much to explore. They have some cool skelletons of their "Dinosours of the Deep" exhibit, but the rest of the museum is lacking. Their aquarium is just a series of 8 or so fish tanks. And their "Egypt Gallery" is 3-4 cases of egyptian artifacts in the hall way by the bath rooms.
We left after maybe an hour of exploring (including the 25 minute planetarium show).
This place is really just a sad sad excuse for a science museum. The staff is all teenagers, or very young adults, there is no one walking around to speak to you about the exhibits or engage you in participation.
If you have little kids, (toddlers to maybe 5-6 years old) I can see how they would enjoy it, however I still think even for them it is seriously over priced and will not keep them entertained for more than an hour or two at best. ]
To anyone thinking of visiting this place, I suggest instead to take the trip and go down to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science and for $0.50 more/person you will experience a science museum that BLOWS this one out of the water.

2  Thank Stephanie G
See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We may be spoiled after going to Newport Aquarium in Newport, KY, but this place was nothing to write home about, especially for the price. There was only enough to see in the whole place to last us an hour, and it cost us $27 for our family of 3 (and our two year old son was free). Many exhibits were closed or under construction, there was a bunch of "blank space", and much of it felt like we were in the basement of a school science fair. I think they do the best they can with what is probably pretty limited resources, but they shouldn't be charging the admission they are for what it is. Underwhelming and overpriced.