South Florida Science Center and Aquarium
More attraction details
Owner description: The South Florida Science Center and Aquarium (former South Florida Science Museum) provides curious minds of all ages with an entertaining and educational journey through science and technology. The Science Center features more than 50 hands-on exhibits, a digital planetarium, freshwater and saltwater aquariums, as well as natural history exhibitions. Established in 1961, the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium is a non-profit institution dedicated to its mission; "Open Every Mind to Science".
4 attraction reviews
“wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

lots of things there to see made me happy saw stuff wounderful and those things there blew me away literliy couldnt stay another minute lol

Visited April 2013

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Can't wait for the expanded Museum opening this summer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have been a lifelong visitor to the Museum, and it is such a joy to see my own 3 and 4 year old now begging me to take them and spending 4 hours or more playing with everything. A few of the hands-on activities are the same, timeless interactive exhibits that enthralled me when I was young. Well, after decades, the Museum is undergoing a major expansion. It is transforming into a discovery center, as opposed to a partially passive Museum. The new facade is already done, with an enormous, welcoming entryway. If you go between now and summer 2013, the admission is reduced, but so is the overall exploration area as construction is taking place in stages. My kids STILL want to go explore and I am thrilled to see how this wonderful gem in Palm Beach County is going to keep its focus on the inspiration of curiosity in young minds, while adding state-of-the-art interactive components, and expand our public aquarium. I will certainly update my review after the opening of the expansion but for now, know that some of the parts are closed, some are the older parts of the Museum (which are my kids FAVORITES) and the rest are parts of the new expansion; so it is a work in progress, but not for long. We were most recently there for the Science of Chocolate special event and my 4 year old said, "We'll get chocolate later. Right now I want to explore this." She was refusing chocolate to play with those same interactive displays which have delighted every child for nearly 20 years! That is a review in and of itself! Also, the Planetarium is state-of-the-art and hearing a 3 year old talk about the "Event Horizon of a Black Hole" after seeing a show is enough to make your rush up to buy a membership.

1 Thank palmbeachpr
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not much there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Well, my neighbor told me it would be good to get a year membership for my family and my grandson's family-which I did before I went-too bad that I spent all that money before I went. There is not much there and the building is old. We went a couple of times, but after the first time it was boring. Now, please understand that they are "rehabing" the place. I can only hope that it will improve ALOT, because it was rather pitiful for what it cost!

Visited June 2012
Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A bit dated, but always a good time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This museum is being upgraded at this time, but currently (until upgrades are made), know that the museum is old. If you go into it with that attitude, you won't be disappointed. The volunteers and staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and the mini golf is a fun activity. I've never had a problem with the planetarium shows here, and the heckling mentioned by another reviewer speaks more of the lack of supervision and discipline by chaperones than of the skills of the presenter. Weekends are the best time to come to avoid the school groups. There are vending machines but no cafeteria, so pack a lunch if you like. The laser shows in the planetarium are incredible.

1 Thank C4vy579
“Do Not Go to the SFSM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

What a waste of time, money and energy. The place smelled, the exhibits are old and broken and the staff seems bored. It was a MUCH better place a few years ago. Also, what happened to the outdoor train exhibit? It was one of the best parts of the museum and it just dissapeared. Now they have some lame displays and a round TV that is supposed to give out info on the world. I thought there was going to be a new museum built. I guess they lied about that too.